Image crashes on launch, how to debug?

bpi

Image crashes on launch, how to debug?

bpi

Hi everyone,

I have an image which does not launch anymore, which it did perfectly fine the last time I opened it. I cannot remember I changed anything. The image is a 5.1 trunk image into which I loaded a large JSON file. It is 2.66 GB in size. I am on OS X 10.10.5 and use the latest CogSpur.app r3427. I tried all CogSpur VMs back to r3343. They fail the same way.

When I drag the image onto the VM in the same folder the following is printed in the Console:
20.09.15 11:22:57,241 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.squeak.Cog.514072[6465]) Service exited with abnormal code: 12

However, I cannot find any crash.dmp. I assume this should be in the very same folder where the VM and the image are, right?

I looked for a debug VM to be able to get some more information. However, I could not find one. Any ideas what I could try next?

Cheers,
Bernhard

re: Image crashes on launch, how to debug?

ccrraaiigg

Hoi Bernhard--

> Any ideas what I could try next?

     How far did you get with lldb (the Mac OS 10.10 C debugger) or the
broader Xcode environment? I would start the system from there, building
your own VM with debug symbols in it if necessary, and see what
diagnostic information you get.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

bpi

Re: Image crashes on launch, how to debug?

bpi

Hi Craig,

I must admit that I never have compiled a VM myself, nor used lldb nor gdb for that matter. However, I do have Xcode 7.0 installed on my machine, so I might try.

In the meantime I found out that if I start the VM from the command line I get the following error:
sqAllocateMemorySegmentOfSizeAboveAllocatedSizeInto mmap: Cannot allocate memory
sqAllocateMemory: initial alloc failed!

That is strange. I have 16 GB physical RAM 9 of which are currently used. That should leave plenty for a 2.66 GB image. And as I wrote it used to work fine.

Time for a restart.

Cheers,
Bernhard

bpi

Re: Image crashes on launch, how to debug?

bpi

Hi Craig,

Unsurprisingly restart did not help.

Running with lldb did not result in much additional information:
(lldb) r
Process 920 launched: '/Users/bernhard/Documents/Squeak/5.1/CogSpur.r3427.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak' (i386)
sqAllocateMemorySegmentOfSizeAboveAllocatedSizeInto mmap: Cannot allocate memory
sqAllocateMemory: initial alloc failed!
Process 920 exited with status = 12 (0x0000000c)

In order to start the VM from Xcode I need to check out the oscog branch from SVN first, right?

I found the following instructions:
http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/compiling-the-vm/

Reading this I am in doubt if building will work with Xcode 7.0. What version of Xcode do you build your VMs with?

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 20.09.2015 um 13:55 schrieb Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> I must admit that I never have compiled a VM myself, nor used lldb nor gdb for that matter. However, I do have Xcode 7.0 installed on my machine, so I might try.
>
> In the meantime I found out that if I start the VM from the command line I get the following error:
> sqAllocateMemorySegmentOfSizeAboveAllocatedSizeInto mmap: Cannot allocate memory
> sqAllocateMemory: initial alloc failed!
>
> That is strange. I have 16 GB physical RAM 9 of which are currently used. That should leave plenty for a 2.66 GB image. And as I wrote it used to work fine.
>
> Time for a restart.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
>> Am 20.09.2015 um 12:38 schrieb Craig Latta <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> Hoi Bernhard--
>>
>>> Any ideas what I could try next?
>>
>>    How far did you get with lldb (the Mac OS 10.10 C debugger) or the
>> broader Xcode environment? I would start the system from there, building
>> your own VM with debug symbols in it if necessary, and see what
>> diagnostic information you get.
>>

>> -C
>>
>> --
>> Craig Latta
>> netjam.org
>> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
>> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Image crashes on launch, how to debug?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Bernard,

    would you be willing to upload image and changes to my ftp site so could take a look?  I shall destroy it as soon as I've diagnosed the problem.  If there is intellectual property in the image you could encrypt the archive and communicate the password to me.

The site is ftp.mirandabanda.org, use is cog ftp user as a single word and the password is cogging with the usual digit substitutions for "oi".

bpi

Re: Image crashes on launch, how to debug?

bpi

Hi Eliot,

Thanks for the generous offer. I will do that.

Cheers,
Bernhard