6 messages Options
bpi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Image does not start anymore

bpi
Hi,

I have a Pharo 7 image which I normally start from Pharo Launcher on Windows. I think I saved it without problems. However, suddenly it stopped opening. As it contains data and some unsaved code I would hate to loose, I'd appreciate any help on how to debug a situation like this. I attached the debug log.

Cheers,
Bernhard

PharoDebug.log (25K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Image does not start anymore

Vincent.Blondeau
Hi,

That is weird. It seems that you should have some debugging process running... Do you have the same error if you try again? So can also try with a squeak VM which is more simple.
You can always retrieve your changes with Epicea (see Gif) and you playground code (see in the play cache folder).

Worse case, I can try something to get your data back but without any guaranty that it will work because it implies to play with the image bytecode.

Cheers,
Vincent

-----Original Message-----
From: Pharo-users <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Bernhard Pieber
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:07
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Pharo-users] Image does not start anymore

Hi,

I have a Pharo 7 image which I normally start from Pharo Launcher on Windows. I think I saved it without problems. However, suddenly it stopped opening. As it contains data and some unsaved code I would hate to loose, I'd appreciate any help on how to debug a situation like this. I attached the debug log.

Cheers,
Bernhard

2018-10-01_09-03-51.gif (544K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 00:10, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

That is weird. It seems that you should have some debugging process running... Do you have the same error if you try again? So can also try with a squeak VM which is more simple.
You can always retrieve your changes with Epicea (see Gif) and you playground code (see in the play cache folder).

I'm guessing that would start by copying the ombu folders under pharo-local to a new image.

cheers -ben 
bpi
Reply | Threaded
|

bpi
In reply to this post by Vincent.Blondeau
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes, I have the same error every time.

I tried with the latest stable Squeak VM. However, I get an error „External module not found“ for libgit2.dll.

I am afraid I cannot provide the image because the data it contains is sensitive.

I will look into Epicea next.

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 01.10.2018 um 18:09 schrieb <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> That is weird. It seems that you should have some debugging process running... Do you have the same error if you try again? So can also try with a squeak VM which is more simple.
> You can always retrieve your changes with Epicea (see Gif) and you playground code (see in the play cache folder).
>
> Worse case, I can try something to get your data back but without any guaranty that it will work because it implies to play with the image bytecode.
>
> Cheers,
> Vincent
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pharo-users <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Bernhard Pieber
> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:07
> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Pharo-users] Image does not start anymore
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a Pharo 7 image which I normally start from Pharo Launcher on Windows. I think I saved it without problems. However, suddenly it stopped opening. As it contains data and some unsaved code I would hate to loose, I'd appreciate any help on how to debug a situation like this. I attached the debug log.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
> <2018-10-01_09-03-51.gif>

Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ben Coman
Ben Coman wrote
> I'm guessing that would start by copying the ombu folders under
> pharo-local
> to a new image.

Not sure if it's "the way", but I've done that successfully before.

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Cheers,
Sean
bpi
Reply | Threaded
|

bpi
In reply to this post by bpi
Hi Vincent,

It occurred to me that I had probably misunderstood you. I had tried with the Squeak VM and not the latest OpenSmalltalk Pharo VM. With that my image works again. Code is saved. Data is there. Learned something for next time. :-)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 02.10.2018 um 09:24 schrieb Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes, I have the same error every time.
>
> I tried with the latest stable Squeak VM. However, I get an error „External module not found“ for libgit2.dll.
>
> I am afraid I cannot provide the image because the data it contains is sensitive.
>
> I will look into Epicea next.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
>> Am 01.10.2018 um 18:09 schrieb <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> That is weird. It seems that you should have some debugging process running... Do you have the same error if you try again? So can also try with a squeak VM which is more simple.
>> You can always retrieve your changes with Epicea (see Gif) and you playground code (see in the play cache folder).
>>
>> Worse case, I can try something to get your data back but without any guaranty that it will work because it implies to play with the image bytecode.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vincent
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Pharo-users <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Bernhard Pieber
>> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:07
>> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [Pharo-users] Image does not start anymore
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Pharo 7 image which I normally start from Pharo Launcher on Windows. I think I saved it without problems. However, suddenly it stopped opening. As it contains data and some unsaved code I would hate to loose, I'd appreciate any help on how to debug a situation like this. I attached the debug log.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard
>> <2018-10-01_09-03-51.gif>