Image does not start anymore

bpi

Image does not start anymore

bpi
Hi,

I have a Pharo 7 image which I normally start from Pharo Launcher on Windows. I think I saved it without problems. However, suddenly it stopped opening. As it contains data and some unsaved code I would hate to loose, I'd appreciate any help on how to debug a situation like this. I attached the debug log.

Cheers,
Bernhard

PharoDebug.log (25K) Download Attachment

Re: Image does not start anymore

Vincent.Blondeau
Hi,

That is weird. It seems that you should have some debugging process running... Do you have the same error if you try again? So can also try with a squeak VM which is more simple.
You can always retrieve your changes with Epicea (see Gif) and you playground code (see in the play cache folder).

Worse case, I can try something to get your data back but without any guaranty that it will work because it implies to play with the image bytecode.

Cheers,
Vincent

I have a Pharo 7 image which I normally start from Pharo Launcher on Windows. I think I saved it without problems. However, suddenly it stopped opening. As it contains data and some unsaved code I would hate to loose, I'd appreciate any help on how to debug a situation like this. I attached the debug log.

Cheers,
Bernhard

2018-10-01_09-03-51.gif (544K) Download Attachment

Re: Image does not start anymore

Ben Coman

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 00:10, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

That is weird. It seems that you should have some debugging process running... Do you have the same error if you try again? So can also try with a squeak VM which is more simple.
You can always retrieve your changes with Epicea (see Gif) and you playground code (see in the play cache folder).

I'm guessing that would start by copying the ombu folders under pharo-local to a new image.

cheers -ben
bpi

Re: Image does not start anymore

bpi
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes, I have the same error every time.

I tried with the latest stable Squeak VM. However, I get an error „External module not found“ for libgit2.dll.

I am afraid I cannot provide the image because the data it contains is sensitive.

I will look into Epicea next.

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 01.10.2018 um 18:09 schrieb <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> That is weird. It seems that you should have some debugging process running... Do you have the same error if you try again? So can also try with a squeak VM which is more simple.
> You can always retrieve your changes with Epicea (see Gif) and you playground code (see in the play cache folder).
>
> Worse case, I can try something to get your data back but without any guaranty that it will work because it implies to play with the image bytecode.
>
> Cheers,
> Vincent

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Ben Coman wrote
> I'm guessing that would start by copying the ombu folders under
> pharo-local
> to a new image.

Not sure if it's "the way", but I've done that successfully before.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean
bpi

Re: Image does not start anymore

bpi
Hi Vincent,

It occurred to me that I had probably misunderstood you. I had tried with the Squeak VM and not the latest OpenSmalltalk Pharo VM. With that my image works again. Code is saved. Data is there. Learned something for next time. :-)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers,
Bernhard