Image inflation

Howard Oh
Hi folks,

My image is gaining size to be 33MB(img+chg+sml).
It is four time the size of original image(8.2MB).
Although there are plenty of codes I've added into the image, I experienced
image doubling its size.

I think there are some huge memory abuse in resource saving, since I
remember adding an "Grid view for Mine-Sweeper" :-)

In case I don't remember the possible cause of memory abuse, what can I do
to find it?

Hwa Jong Oh

Re: Image inflation

Bill Schwab
Hwa Jong,

> My image is gaining size to be 33MB(img+chg+sml).
> It is four time the size of original image(8.2MB).

The sml (sources) file shouldn't change unless you compress sources (but
save them as part of your backups regardless).  The chg (changes) will grow
in a few related ways: (1) pretty much everything you do in the development
image adds an entry to it; (2) all of the code that you add will be in the
change log at least one time (unless you compress sources, which simply
moves the stuff from the change to source file - it has to be somewhere);
(3) D4 saves view resources in the change log, so it will start to grow if
you make lots of changes to view resources.

Generally, it's "safe" to compress changes, though I like to make a backup
of the bloated file first, just in case I ever need the code.  Compressing
sources probably is _not_ useful to anyone but a Smalltalk vendor, or
perhaps a team working on a project and using a common starting image.

> Although there are plenty of codes I've added into the image, I
experienced
> image doubling its size.

That's not necessarily bad, if you write a lot of code.

> I think there are some huge memory abuse in resource saving, since I
> remember adding an "Grid view for Mine-Sweeper" :-)

If its just your change log that's growing, it might be due to complex view
resources.

> In case I don't remember the possible cause of memory abuse, what can I do
> to find it?

Backup and then try to panic (use the "scream" button) to remove zombie
views that might be holding on to large networks of garbage.  If that
doesn't do it, then search the archives, as you're not the first to have
problems with this, and there are no doubt some good suggestions for fixing
it.

Have a good one,

Bill

--