Image sometimes hangs when terminating processes in debugger

Image sometimes hangs when terminating processes in debugger

Carl Gundel-2
I'm running 8.6.  I've noticed that sometimes if I have more than one process in the debugger and I terminate one of them that VA Smalltalk will hang now and then.  I cannot recover with the Click Here to Interrupt Execution button.

I have not seen this if I close the debugger window itself and terminate all the processes in it, so this is how I've been doing it lately and it has gone better for me.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

-Carl

Re: Image sometimes hangs when terminating processes in debugger

jtuchel
Carl,

the image sometimes hangs for me when I step into/over Glorp methods that actually send Sql out to the DB. Sometimes, not even the Emergency button helps.

I am not sure if Glorp is the cause here, because I also have Seaside loaded, and Seaside also sometimes gets unresponsive to HTTP requests after I have terminated a number of processes in the debugger over the day. In these cases, stopping and restarting the WASstServerAdaptor helps. When this happens, the image itself can be interacted with like always, so I have no idea if these things are related or not.

Since I can not reproduce these problems, and as long as they don't show up more frequently, I decided to not contact vast-support, because there's not much they can do about inexplicable phenomena.

Joachim

Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2014 18:32:49 UTC+2 schrieb Carl Gundel:
I'm running 8.6.  I've noticed that sometimes if I have more than one process in the debugger and I terminate one of them that VA Smalltalk will hang now and then.  I cannot recover with the Click Here to Interrupt Execution button.

I have not seen this if I close the debugger window itself and terminate all the processes in it, so this is how I've been doing it lately and it has gone better for me.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

-Carl

Re: Image sometimes hangs when terminating processes in debugger

Carl Gundel-2
Joachim,

I don't use Glorp, but I do use the Abt database features.  However I seem to remember that VAST consumes all the cycles in a processor core when it hangs like this.  I will make another note here about it if I see it again.  I have avoided this problem very consciously by not terminating individual processes in the debugger.

Thanks,

-Carl