Immutable strings

niko.schwarz
Hello list!

I would like to propose the compiler spit out immutable strings as
string literals. I'd like to do this by making a subclass of classical
strings which throws error messages when it is attempted to change the
string.

The beginning of this discussion happened in the bug tracker, please
see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1332.

I completely agree with Toon: String literals should be immutable.
This can be done with almost no speed impact and would only break code
that quite honestly deserves to break.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Niko

Re: Immutable strings

Gary Chambers-4
Then there are so many string classes now! Still, a good idea, got well
bitten by the problem twenty years ago (Smalltalk V/DOS)... took a good day
to discover the problem!

Regards, Gary

> I would like to propose the compiler spit out immutable strings as
> string literals. I'd like to do this by making a subclass of classical
> strings which throws error messages when it is attempted to change the
> string.
>
> The beginning of this discussion happened in the bug tracker, please
> see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1332.
>
> I completely agree with Toon: String literals should be immutable.
> This can be done with almost no speed impact and would only break code
> that quite honestly deserves to break.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Regards,
>
> Niko

Re: Immutable strings

Lukas Renggli
I've added a comment to the bug tracker. I suggest to keep the bug
marked as WontFix or Invalid.

Lukas

2009/10/19 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>:

> Then there are so many string classes now! Still, a good idea, got well
> bitten by the problem twenty years ago (Smalltalk V/DOS)... took a good day
> to discover the problem!
>
> Regards, Gary

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch