Impact of Squeak installation on OS-X

Stephen Ng-2
Hi!

I may be a bit picky with my query.

I installed Squeak, Squeakland etc and had a play with them. They are
interesting and they need further study on my part.

I have one little nitpick! I noticed just recently, that the
installation has made a small change to my OS-X Leopard which is
annoying. With some of the ICC profile folders stored under the /
Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles/... directory,
similarly with Canon profiles, the icons have changed and I cannot
open them with a double click because they are now have Squeak as the
default application. How do I correct this? There should not be any
default application in the first place (I think). Or if there is a
default app then it really should be something else (I don't know what
though) just not Squeak.

I think an application should really be as unobtrusive as possible.

Any suggestions on how to fix this will be appreciated.

Regards.

Stephen Ng

Re: Impact of Squeak installation on OS-X

cerebus-4
Right click on the problem files, select Info.  Under the "Open with:"
setting select the application you want to open the files, then select
"Change All...".

If this prevents you from opening the image directly, then you can do
the same for the image just omitting the "Change All..." step.

-- Tim

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 2:47 AM, Stephen Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I may be a bit picky with my query.
>
> I installed Squeak, Squeakland etc and had a play with them. They are
> interesting and they need further study on my part.
>
> I have one little nitpick! I noticed just recently, that the installation
> has made a small change to my OS-X Leopard which is annoying. With some of
> the ICC profile folders stored under the
> /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles/... directory, similarly
> with Canon profiles, the icons have changed and I cannot open them with a
> double click because they are now have Squeak as the default application.
> How do I correct this? There should not be any default application in the
> first place (I think). Or if there is a default app then it really should be
> something else (I don't know what though) just not Squeak.
>
> I think an application should really be as unobtrusive as possible.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this will be appreciated.
>
> Regards.
>
> Stephen Ng

Re: Impact of Squeak installation on OS-X

Bert Freudenberg
Am 19.08.2008 um 09:47 schrieb Stephen Ng:

> Hi!
>
> I may be a bit picky with my query.
>
> I installed Squeak, Squeakland etc and had a play with them. They
> are interesting and they need further study on my part.
>
> I have one little nitpick! I noticed just recently, that the
> installation has made a small change to my OS-X Leopard which is
> annoying. With some of the ICC profile folders stored under the /
> Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles/... directory,
> similarly with Canon profiles, the icons have changed and I cannot
> open them with a double click because they are now have Squeak as
> the default application. How do I correct this? There should not be
> any default application in the first place (I think). Or if there is
> a default app then it really should be something else (I don't know
> what though) just not Squeak.
>
> I think an application should really be as unobtrusive as possible.

Indeed - thanks for noticing and reporting this! On my system I even
have the option to open these profiles with the Qwaq or Scratch VMs ;)

Apparently the Squeak VM's info.plist registers itself as editor for
the type BNDL. Squeak plugins are "BNDLFAST" and profiles are
"BNDL????" so to the Finder both match BNDL.

I do not know why John added BNDL as document type, I guess we can
just remove that. The icon is stored in each plugin so that can't be
the reason. John?

> Any suggestions on how to fix this will be appreciated.

It shouldn't hurt in any way. I do not know how to remove a file
association, I think you can only use the Finder's File Info dialog to
select a different default app, but not remove it.

- Bert -

Re: Impact of Squeak installation on OS-X

johnmci
I removed the BNDL association awhile back, however if you installed
squeak a few years back it would be part of  your system now.

--
=
=

Re: Impact of Squeak installation on OS-X

Stephen Ng-2
Hi! everyone,

Thanks for the swift replies. I will attempt to fix the problem as
suggested by Tim. You are right Bert, it is possible to change to
another default app but to remove a default app entirely?!! I suppose
its in some .plist somewhere on the system. The question is which.
Anyone out there know?

Stephen

Re: Re: Impact of Squeak installation on OS-X

cerebus-4
Local user associations are in
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist

System associations are in /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-*.csstore

-- Tim