**Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

12

**Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Stéphane Ducasse
Dear Pharoers

I think that we are doing a great work: when I look at the work on the theme, better widgets, network.....Excellent! and thanks.
Now we were discussing with Doru about how we as community could coordinate and structure ourselves better to create more energy.

Analysis of the current situation:
        Right now we have individuals doing great projects, sometimes we have a group of people but this is often not visible.
        Now often happens a bit in ad-hoc way. Because someone ask something, then somebody replies and we integrate the replies.

What I would like to see emerging are First Class Tasks with
        a name
        a topic
        a coordinator
        a group of interested participants,
        a set of identified clients (because clients are the ones that often make us deliver more),
        a little agenda,
        a web presence on the web page

If we look at what we have right now that are potential Tasks and really important clients

        - The Z connection:
                Network/Socket
                Coordinator (proposed):  Sven
                Socket: Noury Luc Jannik Olivier
                Clients: Seasiders, Clouders,

        - Morphic 2:
                UI: Alain Gary Igor
                Coordinator (proposed): ?
                        Presenty framework
                        VoidNullPointer UIBuilder
                        Athens
                Clients: Moose, Pharo IDE

        - Pharo IDE:
                Coordinator (proposed):  Doru
                work around TWM Laurent
                Nautilus: Benjamin Laurent
                Glamourous: Doru Damien

        - OPAL:
                Compiler tool chain
                Coordinator (proposed):  Marcus?
                 Jb, Jorge, Marcus,
                        Helvetia lukas
                        Niko Schwarz?

        - Package:
                Stef, Cyrille
                Coordinator (proposed):  Stephane
                Client: Nautilus, Doru Moose,

        - Metacello
                Dale Mariano
                Coordinator (proposed):  Dale?
                Client: Stef with the idea of distribution, Torsten don't you want to help here?

        - Coral:
                Coordinator (proposed):  Damien?
                Damien, Luc, Adrien, Stef,
                Client: Damien, Olivier?

So what would be good is to have the identification on the web site of these groups.
More discussions and concentration with a set of little tasks to be performed
We could tag the mails with [Task-UI], [Task-OPAL], have a little visible agenda.

What do you think? I think that it is important.

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

laurent laffont

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stef

I think we should try this. IMO a task around SUnit & friends is missing.

Laurent.

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Pharoers

I think that we are doing a great work: when I look at the work on the theme, better widgets, network.....Excellent! and thanks.
Now we were discussing with Doru about how we as community could coordinate and structure ourselves better to create more energy.

Analysis of the current situation:
       Right now we have individuals doing great projects, sometimes we have a group of people but this is often not visible.
       Now often happens a bit in ad-hoc way. Because someone ask something, then somebody replies and we integrate the replies.

What I would like to see emerging are First Class Tasks with
       a name

Fuel

       a topic

An object graph serializer

       a coordinator

Mariano Martinez Peck

       a group of interested participants,

Martin Dias

       a set of identified clients (because clients are the ones that often make us deliver more),

- Pharo itself
- persistency
- SandstoneDB (already done).
- Pier kernel persistency (already done).
- Moose model import/export (already done).
- Newspeak.

[...]

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Pharoers

I think that we are doing a great work: when I look at the work on the theme, better widgets, network.....Excellent! and thanks.
Now we were discussing with Doru about how we as community could coordinate and structure ourselves better to create more energy.

Analysis of the current situation:
       Right now we have individuals doing great projects, sometimes we have a group of people but this is often not visible.
       Now often happens a bit in ad-hoc way. Because someone ask something, then somebody replies and we integrate the replies.

What I would like to see emerging are First Class Tasks with
       a name

DBXTalk

       a topic

Smalltalk relational database suite of tools

       a coordinator

Mariano Martinez Peck

       a group of interested participants,

- Esteban Lorenzano
- Diogenes Moreira
- Guillermo Polito
- Gisela Decuzzi
- Santiago Bragagnolo

       a set of identified clients (because clients are the ones that often make us deliver more),

Real applications needing relational databases.

       a little agenda,

- Continue the development
- PBE2 chapter
- new website

       a web presence on the web page

http://www.squeakdbx.org/
We need a new domain for dbxtalk and update lot of documentation. Consider it part of the agenda :)

[...]

Igor Stasenko
Are you trying to repeat experience of Squeak teams?
I can remind you that they are never worked and failed in the end.

And i think that problem is that its hard to coordinate people which
are located around the globe and their main tasks are completely
different.
Another reason is that you cannot enforce any kind of responsibility
for delaying or not delivering , because we're talking about
enthusiasts.

I believe that individual people with own vision and own, personal,
agenda could do much more.
If someone would like to voluntary coordinate some activities, i am
all for it. Now this means that given person should have plan in his
head and stick with it,
and keep an eye, ask around, communicate, and of course try coordinate people.
But is it really need to be formalized like that?

We, as community could discuss the agendas, and then a concrete steps
to implement it. Now, its not really matters who will do it, as long
as there enough people interested in helping
with it.
And its completely pointless to form groups of individuals, only to be
listed as a group member on site and doing nothing (for whatever
objective reason).

So, the right questions about any improvement, which we would like to
see in future is:
 - do/why we need that
 - who can do that

if both of these questions can be answered positively, then it is only
a matter of time for new feature to appear.
And to my opinion, putting any kind of formality around it is
completely orthogonal to what will happen in reality.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [Pharo-project] **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

> I think we should try this. IMO a task around SUnit & friends is missing.

sign in for it and lead it.
What I would like is a small agenda so that other people can see what is happening
and if they want to help join.

> Laurent.

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Mariano

could you add a page will all the information on the wiki?

Stef

> [...]
>                Client: Nautilus, Doru Moose,
>
>        - Metacello
>                Dale Mariano
>                Coordinator (proposed):  Dale?
>                Client: Stef with the idea of distribution, Torsten don't you want to help here?
>
>        - Coral:
>                Coordinator (proposed):  Damien?
>                Damien, Luc, Adrien, Stef,
>                Client: Damien, Olivier?
>
> So what would be good is to have the identification on the web site of these groups.
> More discussions and concentration with a set of little tasks to be performed
> We could tag the mails with [Task-UI], [Task-OPAL], have a little visible agenda.
>
> What do you think? I think that it is important.
>

> Stef
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Tudor Girba-2

The idea of Pharo Tasks is not to get things rigid and to stop the individuals from contributing. This should continue to happen.

Instead, the idea is to start acknowledging that Pharo has became larger, and that the integration and drive of individual contributions has more dimensions that can be handled by the core group alone. So, the Pharo Task Force is a mechanism for teams to form around some larger topics.

Like I said beforetime, I want to work on the IDE. This is a topic that is larger than one person can and should do. But, it is also a topic that requires integration of contributions, and it won't work by simply doing a union of choices. Just like now the Core team relentlessly cleans up the language and infrastructure, so should the IDE deserve a similar approach to get it strong and reinvented. People should know that this project exists and that they can contribute in a more organized way.

This won't work by force. But, if someone wants to build/lead/integrate a project like this, I think it can work nicely.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: [Pharo-project] **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Guillermo Polito
I think it is important a team working on application integration (Soap, rest servers, xml and binary rpc, C/Java/ .Net integration) for the enterprise pharo user :).

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we should try this. IMO a task around SUnit & friends is missing.

sign in for it and lead it.
What I would like is a small agenda so that other people can see what is happening
and if they want to help join.

> Laurent.

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Don;t you think that I thought about that :)?
Yes I did.
Now don't you think that trying for real once more would not make sense?
Else we are banned to be alone

And just already making official was is working would be good.
Every couple of friday the ocean people are coding together.

Stef

> Are you trying to repeat experience of Squeak teams?
> I can remind you that they are never worked and failed in the end.
>
> And i think that problem is that its hard to coordinate people which
> are located around the globe and their main tasks are completely
> different.
> Another reason is that you cannot enforce any kind of responsibility
> for delaying or not delivering , because we're talking about
> enthusiasts.
>
> I believe that individual people with own vision and own, personal,
> agenda could do much more.
> If someone would like to voluntary coordinate some activities, i am
> all for it. Now this means that given person should have plan in his
> head and stick with it,
> and keep an eye, ask around, communicate, and of course try coordinate people.
> But is it really need to be formalized like that?
>
> We, as community could discuss the agendas, and then a concrete steps
> to implement it. Now, its not really matters who will do it, as long
> as there enough people interested in helping
> with it.
> And its completely pointless to form groups of individuals, only to be
> listed as a group member on site and doing nothing (for whatever
> objective reason).
>
> So, the right questions about any improvement, which we would like to
> see in future is:
> - do/why we need that
> - who can do that
>
> if both of these questions can be answered positively, then it is only
> a matter of time for new feature to appear.
> And to my opinion, putting any kind of formality around it is
> completely orthogonal to what will happen in reality.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Mariano Martinez Peck
So....I've created a wiki page: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Teams
can you please help me to add the rest ???
I did it in a "table" way, but I am not sure if it is the best.

In addition, some text explaining the idea would be nice :)

thanks for the help

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think that what would be great is to have a list of next items

Stef

On Jul 1, 2011, at 11:10 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
>                Coordinator (proposed):  Dale?
>                Client: Stef with the idea of distribution, Torsten don't you want to help here?
>
>        - Coral:
>                Coordinator (proposed):  Damien?
>                Damien, Luc, Adrien, Stef,
>                Client: Damien, Olivier?
>
> So what would be good is to have the identification on the web site of these groups.
> More discussions and concentration with a set of little tasks to be performed
> We could tag the mails with [Task-UI], [Task-OPAL], have a little visible agenda.
>
> What do you think? I think that it is important.
>

> Stef
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Hi guys

I'm in town. Now I want to make clear the following: This idea is much more on having an effort to collect todo and manage to kill some of them
regularly than to engage to for long task.

As an example for the UI I would like
        - layout fixed so that glamour IDE can work
        - in place edit in list items (for example to be able to directly edit the protocol of a method in a sender list)
        - an option to get list showing only elements matching an input on the fly

What you see is that we should have  list of "simple" tasks that people can sign in for.
The idea is that we should coordinate a bit to make progress.

Stef

On Jul 1, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Dear Pharoers
>
> I think that we are doing a great work: when I look at the work on the theme, better widgets, network.....Excellent! and thanks.
> Now we were discussing with Doru about how we as community could coordinate and structure ourselves better to create more energy.
>
> Analysis of the current situation:
> Right now we have individuals doing great projects, sometimes we have a group of people but this is often not visible.
> Now often happens a bit in ad-hoc way. Because someone ask something, then somebody replies and we integrate the replies.
>
> What I would like to see emerging are First Class Tasks with
> a name
> a topic
> a coordinator
> a group of interested participants,
> a set of identified clients (because clients are the ones that often make us deliver more),
> a little agenda,
> a web presence on the web page
>

> If we look at what we have right now that are potential Tasks and really important clients
>
> - The Z connection:
> Network/Socket
> Coordinator (proposed):  Sven
> Socket: Noury Luc Jannik Olivier
> Clients: Seasiders, Clouders,
>
> - Morphic 2:
> UI: Alain Gary Igor
> Coordinator (proposed): ?
> Presenty framework
> VoidNullPointer UIBuilder
> Athens
> Clients: Moose, Pharo IDE
>
> - Pharo IDE:
> Coordinator (proposed):  Doru
> work around TWM Laurent
> Nautilus: Benjamin Laurent
> Glamourous: Doru Damien
>
> - OPAL:
> Compiler tool chain
> Coordinator (proposed):  Marcus?
> Jb, Jorge, Marcus,
> Helvetia lukas
> Niko Schwarz?
>
> - Package:
> Stef, Cyrille
> Coordinator (proposed):  Stephane
> Client: Nautilus, Doru Moose,
>
> - Metacello
> Dale Mariano
> Coordinator (proposed):  Dale?
> Client: Stef with the idea of distribution, Torsten don't you want to help here?
>
> - Coral:
> Coordinator (proposed):  Damien?
> Damien, Luc, Adrien, Stef,
> Client: Damien, Olivier?
>
> So what would be good is to have the identification on the web site of these groups.
> More discussions and concentration with a set of little tasks to be performed
> We could tag the mails with [Task-UI], [Task-OPAL], have a little visible agenda.
>
> What do you think? I think that it is important.
>

> Stef

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Doru can you add the page on morphic on this list?
Marcus can you add a page to OPAL?
        with pending todo?
Damien can you add one for Coral?

> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Teams

I added RPackage
         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/RPackageRoadmap
so that people can follow the effort.

Stef

Here is what I wrote.

Introduction

The current status is that RPackage works well with a one to one mapping package - category.

Done:

        • All the events have been migrated from systemNotifier to SystemAnnouncer?. The package SystemAnnouncement? is ready for inclusion. This means that RPackage does not rely on systemnotifier to keep its data in sync. This also means that SystemAnnouncer? can be folded in the system and that other tools can use it. And that we will be able to remove SystemNotifier?. Nautilus is only based on SystemNotifier?.
        • A lot of tests. In addition tests are written in a way that the central RPackageOrganizer is not impacted by test running.
        • Nautilus and Moose using RPackage. Nautilus is based on RPackage. Moose uses RPackage as a cache since months.
        • Identification of the clients using PackageInfo?. We started to identify clients of PackageInfo? to prepare migration phase.
Next steps:

        • Clean RPackage (because some functionality were copied from PackageInfo?):
                • Problem Gofer and the some package of RefactoringEngine? rely on this API
                • Solution: include Refactoring packages in 1.4 and modify it there. In 1.4 we want OCompletion, Ecompletion and Refactoring in the image so this fits well. In subsequent versions we may republish them as separate packages.
        • Adding Package Tags. Since people do not want (but have no time to do it - funny isn't) to have one -one mapping between category and package. We will add tags the idea is to be able to have classes sorted inside a package.
    Pack1
         - Tag1
              ClassA
              ClassB
         - Tag2
              ClassC
              ClassD
              ClassA
     Pack2
        - Tag1
        - Tag3
        • MC shoud use RPackage to save information
        • Tags should be saved in MC package
        • New MC Browser

Re: [Pharo-project] **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Tudor Girba-2
I would do it if you give me access to edit the page.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: [Pharo-project] **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks. I entered a row for the Glamorous Toolkit.

The next thing is to enter the issues.

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
 Tomorrow is a possibility.
 Today is a challenge."

Re: [Pharo-project] **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Stéphane Ducasse
tx

Stef

On Jul 24, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks. I entered a row for the Glamorous Toolkit.
>
> The next thing is to enter the issues.
>
> Doru
>

> On 24 Jul 2011, at 11:35, Damien Cassou wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I would do it if you give me access to edit the page.
>>
>> that should work with your [hidden email] account.
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Yesterday is a fact.
> Tomorrow is a possibility.
> Today is a challenge."

Re: [Pharo-project] **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

Marcus Denker-4

On Jul 24, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Doru can you add the page on morphic on this list?
> Marcus can you add a page to OPAL?
> with pending todo?

Ok, I will dot that.

--
Marcus Denker
Do it together: http://taskfor.us

Re: **Important Please read** Towards First Class Tasks

simondenier

About the Pharo IDE task force, I think it would be cool if either Laurent in Annecy or Doru in Bern could organize a Dojo over a week-end.

--
Simon Denier

12