Impossible launc/use Lumiere

gerard alis
I try use Lumiere

http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf

 for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i doing bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?

Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea is use Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL widgets, buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example use OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic do a UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another lib o posibility?

Regards

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

Igor Stasenko
2009/9/4 nullPointer <[hidden email]>:

> I try use Lumiere
>
> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf
>
>  for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i doing
> bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?
>
> Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea is use
> Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL widgets,
> buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example use
> OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic do a
> UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another lib o
> posibility?

yes, there is. Called GLMorphic. see at squeaksource. And its already
drawing all morphic UI using opengl calls.
Lumiere is more about rendering 3d scenery, not 2d UI.
But it contains the full OpenGL bindings (using Alien), so, nothing
prevents you from writing own stuff & doing anything with it.
There is also OpenVG binding API, which i bound recently to Squeak/Pharo
it is for drawing 2d vector graphics using different kinds of shapes,
fills etc. It resembles pretty much
of the same functionality as in Adobe Flash - gradients, fills,
strokes, patterns, images etc etc.
It is waiting for you to explore :)
Unfortunately the OpenVG plugin iz available for windoze only.

> Regards

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

gerard alis
but could be possible in Lumiere, for example, use external widgets libs of OpenGL?
the problem for me is the widgets. Exists only a few basic widgets in Morphic/Polymorph, and be hard of do for me. Or create a new set of widgets in Morphic or use something do it external. The problem for me not is the way of Morphic is drawed, else the way of Morphic is do it. Im developing a UIBuilder and the main problem is unify all events and properties of differents widgets in a same public interface (via Traits). Perhaps that  it is not worth the pain and is best create a set of widgets from start; and if is possible use OpenGL still better.

Regards, and thanks for the help.

And excuse me for my poor english :))

Igor Stasenko wrote
2009/9/4 nullPointer <epicfan@gmail.com>:

> I try use Lumiere
>
> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf
>
>  for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i doing
> bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?
>
> Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea is use
> Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL widgets,
> buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example use
> OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic do a
> UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another lib o
> posibility?

yes, there is. Called GLMorphic. see at squeaksource. And its already
drawing all morphic UI using opengl calls.
Lumiere is more about rendering 3d scenery, not 2d UI.
But it contains the full OpenGL bindings (using Alien), so, nothing
prevents you from writing own stuff & doing anything with it.
There is also OpenVG binding API, which i bound recently to Squeak/Pharo
it is for drawing 2d vector graphics using different kinds of shapes,
fills etc. It resembles pretty much
of the same functionality as in Adobe Flash - gradients, fills,
strokes, patterns, images etc etc.
It is waiting for you to explore :)
Unfortunately the OpenVG plugin iz available for windoze only.

> Regards

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

Igor Stasenko
2009/9/4 nullPointer <[hidden email]>:

> but could be possible in Lumiere, for example, use external widgets libs of
> OpenGL?
> the problem for me is the widgets. Exists only a few basic widgets in
> Morphic/Polymorph, and be hard of do for me. Or create a new set of widgets
> in Morphic or use something do it external. The problem for me not is the
> way of Morphic is drawed, else the way of Morphic is do it. Im developing a
> UIBuilder and the main problem is unify all events and properties of
> differents widgets in a same public interface (via Traits). Perhaps that  it
> is not worth the pain and is best create a set of widgets from start; and if
> is possible use OpenGL still better.

Sorry, maybe i don't understand something...
But how OpenGL could help you with having a richer set of widgets?
An OpenGL is a very basic drawing library, where you can draw the
simplest primitives:
- points, lines, triangles.
Yes, you can do many tricks with OpenGL, but still all you have is
basically points, lines and triangles.

> Regards, and thanks for the help.
>
> And excuse me for my poor english :))
>

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> 2009/9/4 nullPointer <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I try use Lumiere
>>>
>>> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf
>>>
>>>  for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i
>>> doing
>>> bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?
>>>
>>> Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea is
>>> use
>>> Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL
>>> widgets,
>>> buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example use
>>> OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic do a
>>> UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another lib o
>>> posibility?
>>
>> yes, there is. Called GLMorphic. see at squeaksource. And its already
>> drawing all morphic UI using opengl calls.
>> Lumiere is more about rendering 3d scenery, not 2d UI.
>> But it contains the full OpenGL bindings (using Alien), so, nothing
>> prevents you from writing own stuff & doing anything with it.
>> There is also OpenVG binding API, which i bound recently to Squeak/Pharo
>> it is for drawing 2d vector graphics using different kinds of shapes,
>> fills etc. It resembles pretty much
>> of the same functionality as in Adobe Flash - gradients, fills,
>> strokes, patterns, images etc etc.
>> It is waiting for you to explore :)
>> Unfortunately the OpenVG plugin iz available for windoze only.
>>

>>> Regards
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

gerard alis
My knowledges of OpenGL is very poor. For you answer i see not is possible use Lumiere/OpenGL for the thing than i have in mind.

Regards.

Igor Stasenko wrote
2009/9/4 nullPointer <epicfan@gmail.com>:

> but could be possible in Lumiere, for example, use external widgets libs of
> OpenGL?
> the problem for me is the widgets. Exists only a few basic widgets in
> Morphic/Polymorph, and be hard of do for me. Or create a new set of widgets
> in Morphic or use something do it external. The problem for me not is the
> way of Morphic is drawed, else the way of Morphic is do it. Im developing a
> UIBuilder and the main problem is unify all events and properties of
> differents widgets in a same public interface (via Traits). Perhaps that  it
> is not worth the pain and is best create a set of widgets from start; and if
> is possible use OpenGL still better.

Sorry, maybe i don't understand something...
But how OpenGL could help you with having a richer set of widgets?
An OpenGL is a very basic drawing library, where you can draw the
simplest primitives:
- points, lines, triangles.
Yes, you can do many tricks with OpenGL, but still all you have is
basically points, lines and triangles.

> Regards, and thanks for the help.
>
> And excuse me for my poor english :))
>

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> 2009/9/4 nullPointer <epicfan@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> I try use Lumiere
>>>
>>> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf
>>>
>>>  for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i
>>> doing
>>> bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?
>>>
>>> Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea is
>>> use
>>> Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL
>>> widgets,
>>> buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example use
>>> OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic do a
>>> UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another lib o
>>> posibility?
>>
>> yes, there is. Called GLMorphic. see at squeaksource. And its already
>> drawing all morphic UI using opengl calls.
>> Lumiere is more about rendering 3d scenery, not 2d UI.
>> But it contains the full OpenGL bindings (using Alien), so, nothing
>> prevents you from writing own stuff & doing anything with it.
>> There is also OpenVG binding API, which i bound recently to Squeak/Pharo
>> it is for drawing 2d vector graphics using different kinds of shapes,
>> fills etc. It resembles pretty much
>> of the same functionality as in Adobe Flash - gradients, fills,
>> strokes, patterns, images etc etc.
>> It is waiting for you to explore :)
>> Unfortunately the OpenVG plugin iz available for windoze only.
>>

>>> Regards
>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

csrabak
Em 04/09/2009 18:07, nullPointer < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> I try use Lumiere

> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf

> for show a sample OpenGL window  but don´t works. I dont know what i
> doing bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?

I tried it and almost no test comes green...

So I also wonder what else is needed for running Lumière in Pharo?

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

gerard alis

Load package -> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/651/Speech.sar
Is needed the FFI package too  --> http://source.squeakfoundation.org/FFI/FFI-Kernel-ar.11.mcz
Load Lumiere if not installed -->  LumiereLoader load
Then install VMMaker from squeaksource
And is needed create a plugin for the virtual machine

Well, that i did understand before in IRC. My problem is than Speech package cannot install.Crushes in a clean Pharo Image Beta Core  :(

Exists an available image with that packages loadeds?

Regards

csrabak wrote

On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:07 PM, nullPointer wrote:

> I try use Lumiere
>
> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf
>
> for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i
> doing
> bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?
>
> Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea
> is use
> Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL
> widgets,
> buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example
> use
> OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic
> do a
> UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another
> lib o
> posibility?

Do not bind the builder to opengl please.
Do an extension for that if you want.
Release your code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Regards

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

Fernando olivero
I apologize for not answering sooner, i was offline after returning from the  ESUG.

I'm fixing now problems related to Lumiere, mostly regarding the texture folder missing.

Tomorrow i'l send an email to the list, officially presenting lumiere,  a  brief description, tutorials and the official homepage.

But briefly, lumiere is a 3D renderer for producing 3D applications. with high level abstractions  and using OpenGL as the base renderer, that uses the AlienOpenGL library wrapper. (we implemented using ALIEN FFI framework ).

Since the Alien  framework is working and tested under MAC for now, it only works there.  But people are working for integrating into windows, and also alien can now be installed in Squeak ( using Installer, instead of Gofer and flair).

The only thing needed for running Lumiere is to execute the following script, having the alien plugin ( IA32ABI.bundle ) under the plugins folder in the  root directory. (i will that in the home page also)

ScriptLoader loadLatestPackage: 'LumiereLoader' from: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Lumiere'.
LumiereLoader load.

Saludos,
Fernando

pd:
as Igor said , OpenGL wont give you widgets but it will allow you to build them using Lumiere or ALienOpenGL. Or use ALienFFI to build a wrapper for some external library that does that.

pd2:  I'm aslo interested in adding a complete set of widgets and text rendering capabilities using Lumiere, so we could discuss this further.

Il giorno Sep 5, 2009, alle ore 10:50 AM, Stéphane Ducasse ha scritto:

[...]

I released the package:

http://www.squeaksource.com/CLFramework.html

Not is a stable version; the code is ugly.And many things must be added and enhanced.
I added new features; can be viewed here:

Inlaying a view into another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0dSuunKbEM

Adding external files (images only) for use in UIBuilder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvwieFA_4k

Building a context menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cilG97m4u2g

For run the designer only evaluate

view := CLUIBuilderMainForm new show.

in a workspace.

Regards

Stéphane Ducasse-2 wrote
On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:07 PM, nullPointer wrote:

> I try use Lumiere
>
> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf
>
> for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i
> doing
> bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?
>
> Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea
> is use
> Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL
> widgets,
> buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example
> use
> OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic
> do a
> UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another
> lib o
> posibility?

Do not bind the builder to opengl please.
Do an extension for that if you want.
Release your code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Regards

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

gerard alis

Do you know WPF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-T-yF3tXCc

Oks, forget a moment that it is of Mocosoft :)

I will like create something similar; nice 2d widgets and possibility of show, obviously, 3d

I do not know even if to obtain it is possible, but i like will try :)

Fernando olivero wrote

.
LumiereLoader load.

Saludos,
Fernando

pd:
        as Igor said , OpenGL wont give you widgets but it will allow you to
build them using Lumiere or ALienOpenGL. Or use ALienFFI to build a
wrapper for some external library that does that.

pd2:  I'm aslo interested in adding a complete set of widgets and text
rendering capabilities using Lumiere, so we could discuss this further.

Il giorno Sep 5, 2009, alle ore 10:50 AM, Stéphane Ducasse ha scritto:

> On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:07 PM, nullPointer wrote:
>

>> I try use Lumiere
>>
>> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/ESUG2009Media/uploads/1/lumiereIWST-2.pdf
>>
>> for show a sample OpenGL window but don´t works. I dont know what i
>> doing
>> bad.What is needed for use OpenGL in Pharo?
>>
>> Is a stupid idea use OpenGL under Pharo for create 2d UIs ?  My idea
>> is use
>> Lumiere for build UIs embedded in a morphic window, but with OpenGL
>> widgets,
>> buttons, textboxes etc  s  is a possible idea?  I could for example
>> use
>> OpenGL external widgets libs for use in Lumiere? Will be fantastic
>> do a
>> UIBuilder using that. If Lumiere dont works for that exists another
>> lib o
>> posibility?
>
> Do not bind the builder to opengl please.
> Do an extension for that if you want.
>

>> Regards

Re: Impossible launc/use Lumiere

Stéphane Ducasse
this looks cool!

really getting widgest like the accordeon style in javaScript would be
great.

Stef