"Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

"Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi!

It happened that variables of my methods changed to t1, t2, t3, etc etc (see
here: http://imgur.com/ptbmzMH ) and when I try to see the versions of a
method, pharo shows "Improper store into indexable object" (see here:
http://imgur.com/pwWT0yc ).

Can you help me, please? I'm on Pharo2.0, Latest update: #20619

Cheers
 Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Davide,

That means you are looking at decompiled code, because the system can no longer access the source code. Source code lives either in the .sources or .changes file. Did you move or rename any of them ?

Sven

> On 19 Jan 2015, at 22:22, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Date: 19 Jan 2015 22:19:37 CET
> From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names
>

> Hi!
>
> It happened that variables of my methods changed to t1, t2, t3, etc etc (see
> here: http://imgur.com/ptbmzMH ) and when I try to see the versions of a
> method, pharo shows "Improper store into indexable object" (see here:
> http://imgur.com/pwWT0yc ).
>
> Can you help me, please? I'm on Pharo2.0, Latest update: #20619
>
> Cheers
> Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Davide Varvello
H Sven,
 I didn't move nor rename any of them. In fact some methods have t1, t2, t3, ... but some others have real variable names.

Davide

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> [...]

>> method, pharo shows "Improper store into indexable object" (see here:
>> http://imgur.com/pwWT0yc ).
>>
>> Can you help me, please? I'm on Pharo2.0, Latest update: #20619
>>
>> Cheers
>> Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 19 Jan 2015, at 22:46, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Date: 19 Jan 2015 22:43:13 CET
> From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names
>

> H Sven,
> I didn't move nor rename any of them. In fact some methods have t1, t2, t3,
> ... but some others have real variable names.

That is weird. Any details on which work and which do not ? System code or your code ?

Both, my code and system code. Looking at changes it seems it lost all code before 7:01:06 pm CET of yesterday (see http://imgur.com/V8eis9Z), I can try to restore from my backup, but I'm wondering what happened.

Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> On 19 Jan 2015, at 22:46, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

> &gt; wrote:
>>

>> Date: 19 Jan 2015 22:43:13 CET
>> From: Davide Varvello &lt;

> varvello@

> &gt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

>> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable
>> names
>>

>> H Sven,
>> I didn't move nor rename any of them. In fact some methods have t1, t2,
>> t3,
>> ... but some others have real variable names.
>
> That is weird. Any details on which work and which do not ? System code or
> your code ?

Both, my code and system code. Looking at changes it seems it lost all code
before 7:01:06 pm CET of yesterday (see http://imgur.com/V8eis9Z), I can try
to restore from my backup, but I'm wondering what happened.

Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 20 Jan 2015, at 10:00, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Date: 20 Jan 2015 09:56:45 CET
> From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> On 19 Jan 2015, at 22:46, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;
>
>> pharo-users@.pharo
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>

>>> Date: 19 Jan 2015 22:43:13 CET
>>> From: Davide Varvello &lt;
>
>> varvello@
>
>> &gt;
>
>> pharo-users@.pharo
>
>>> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable
>>> names
>>>

>>> H Sven,
>>> I didn't move nor rename any of them. In fact some methods have t1, t2,
>>> t3,
>>> ... but some others have real variable names.
>>
>> That is weird. Any details on which work and which do not ? System code or
>> your code ?
>
> Both, my code and system code. Looking at changes it seems it lost all code
> before 7:01:06 pm CET of yesterday (see http://imgur.com/V8eis9Z), I can try
> to restore from my backup, but I'm wondering what happened.

It has been years that I developed in 2.0, but I very vaguely remember having seen something similar. Going back and recovering from backup seems the only choice.

I find it hard to believe that, say some Collection methods are OK, and some say String methods are decompiled, and some of your own code is OK and some is not - totally arbitrary ? Is it even constant ?

> Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Clément Béra
Typically, if the image can still access the change file but not the source file (or the other way around), some methods still show temporary variable names, whereas other methods show t1, t2, etc , depending on which files their sources were in.

> On 20 Jan 2015, at 10:00, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Date: 20 Jan 2015 09:56:45 CET
> From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> On 19 Jan 2015, at 22:46, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;
>
>> pharo-users@.pharo
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>

>>> Date: 19 Jan 2015 22:43:13 CET
>>> From: Davide Varvello &lt;
>
>> varvello@
>
>> &gt;
>
>> pharo-users@.pharo
>
>>> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable
>>> names
>>>

>>> H Sven,
>>> I didn't move nor rename any of them. In fact some methods have t1, t2,
>>> t3,
>>> ... but some others have real variable names.
>>
>> That is weird. Any details on which work and which do not ? System code or
>> your code ?
>
> Both, my code and system code. Looking at changes it seems it lost all code
> before 7:01:06 pm CET of yesterday (see http://imgur.com/V8eis9Z), I can try
> to restore from my backup, but I'm wondering what happened.

It has been years that I developed in 2.0, but I very vaguely remember having seen something similar. Going back and recovering from backup seems the only choice.

I find it hard to believe that, say some Collection methods are OK, and some say String methods are decompiled, and some of your own code is OK and some is not - totally arbitrary ? Is it even constant ?

> Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 20 Jan 2015, at 10:48, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Typically, if the image can still access the change file but not the source file (or the other way around), some methods still show temporary variable names, whereas other methods show t1, t2, etc , depending on which files their sources were in.

Yes, that is what I asked, but he said 'both'...

It's weird. Look at here: http://i.imgur.com/p5kbECh.png

Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> On 20 Jan 2015, at 10:00, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

> &gt; wrote:
>>

>> Date: 20 Jan 2015 09:56:45 CET
>> From: Davide Varvello &lt;

> varvello@

> &gt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

>> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable
>> names
>>

>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>
>>> pharo-users@.pharo

>>> varvello@
>>
>>> &gt;
>>
>>> pharo-users@.pharo

>>> That is weird. Any details on which work and which do not ? System code
>>> or
>>> your code ?
>>
>> Both, my code and system code. Looking at changes it seems it lost all
>> code
>> before 7:01:06 pm CET of yesterday (see http://imgur.com/V8eis9Z), I can
>> try
>> to restore from my backup, but I'm wondering what happened.
>
> It has been years that I developed in 2.0, but I very vaguely remember
> having seen something similar. Going back and recovering from backup seems
> the only choice.
>
> I find it hard to believe that, say some Collection methods are OK, and
> some say String methods are decompiled, and some of your own code is OK
> and some is not - totally arbitrary ? Is it even constant ?

It's weird. Look at here: http://i.imgur.com/p5kbECh.png

Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Like I said, very strange.

If you can (if there is no sensitive information in included), you can make the image+changes available somewhere and I can have a look. You can mail me privately.

Else I hope you can recover your work.

> On 20 Jan 2015, at 14:27, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Date: 20 Jan 2015 14:23:51 CET
> From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>>> On 20 Jan 2015, at 10:00, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;
>
>> pharo-users@.pharo
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>

>>> Date: 20 Jan 2015 09:56:45 CET
>>> From: Davide Varvello &lt;
>
>> varvello@
>
>> &gt;
>
>> pharo-users@.pharo
>
>>> Subject: Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable
>>> names
>>>

>>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote

>>> Both, my code and system code. Looking at changes it seems it lost all
>>> code
>>> before 7:01:06 pm CET of yesterday (see http://imgur.com/V8eis9Z), I can
>>> try
>>> to restore from my backup, but I'm wondering what happened.
>>
>> It has been years that I developed in 2.0, but I very vaguely remember
>> having seen something similar. Going back and recovering from backup seems
>> the only choice.
>>
>> I find it hard to believe that, say some Collection methods are OK, and
>> some say String methods are decompiled, and some of your own code is OK
>> and some is not - totally arbitrary ? Is it even constant ?
>
> It's weird. Look at here: http://i.imgur.com/p5kbECh.png
>
> Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Davide Varvello
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
Like I said, very strange.

If you can (if there is no sensitive information in included), you can make the image+changes available somewhere and I can have a look. You can mail me privately.

Else I hope you can recover your work.
Thanks Sven, you are very supportive, but I can start from my previous version, hopefully I have almost on source control

Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> Like I said, very strange.
>
> If you can (if there is no sensitive information in included), you can
> make the image+changes available somewhere and I can have a look. You can
> mail me privately.
>
> Else I hope you can recover your work.

Thanks Sven, you are very supportive, but I can start from my previous
version, hopefully I have almost on source control

Davide

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

stepharo
Davide

consider that Pharo 20 is around 2 years old and we massively improved
the system since then.
And that it can take you one afternoon probably to migrate to 3.0 (which
is also one year old).

Re: "Improper store into indexable object" and weird variable names

Davide Varvello
I know, Stef, but actually I can't migrate to pharo 3. Probably the issue was caused by something deleted changes before a certain time even if I don't know what it was

Cheers
 Davide

stepharo wrote