Improved Help Suggestion

Kirk Fraser
Although posts to this list sometimes work in getting help, I suggest the people in charge take a look at the help provided at http://www.wampserver.com/ where it seems one guy goes out of his way to answer dozens of requests daily using his blog (which requests donations).  Perhaps dividing the functions of development and help in this way would be even more effective than the newbie help provided on Squeak-Beginners or maybe it's a matter of having the right person doing it.  Anyway I hope you kick this around because anything to get improved help would be appreciated by those who need it.

Seaside looks a lot more attractive to me than Wamp for writing webpages in but I seem to need a little more tutorial reading to start being productive.  Is there a tutorial that explains http://localhost:8080/seaside and why clicking configure on that page points to port 80 instead of port 8080?  What examples are legitimate to put in Server Path, Server Hostname, Resource Base Url and why?

My problem is guessing the values rarely turns out correctly unless I know more than the usual hints the typical programmer provides, especially when trying to work with "open" software where many package, class, and method names are obscure only known by the writer and his buddies.  Sorry for the rant, just please help.

Re: [Seaside] Improved Help Suggestion

Julian Fitzell-2
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Overcomer Man <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Seaside looks a lot more attractive to me than Wamp for writing webpages in
> but I seem to need a little more tutorial reading to start being
> productive.  Is there a tutorial that explains
> http://localhost:8080/seaside and why clicking configure on that page points
> to port 80 instead of port 8080?  What examples are legitimate to put in
> Server Path, Server Hostname, Resource Base Url and why?

Hi Kirk,

First of all, welcome.

Now, what are you trying to do? In most cases, you would not need to
set any of those fields during development.

I think you'll find you got no response to your first email because
nobody understood the problem you were having; I know I didn't - I
don't know what Wamp is, and you seemed to be talking about firewalls
and routers and hackers and I'm afraid I got a bit lost. We can't
possibly know how your router or firewall are configured.

People on the list are very helpful but the cardinal rule of free
support is to make it as easy as possible for people to help you. You
need to do the work to figure out what Seaside is generating and how
that is different from what you would like it to be; if you can
explain that, I'm sure someone will be able to give you a hand.

Cheers,

Julian