Improvement to Seaside Control Panel

jtuchel
Hi there,

this is a very tiny idea for an improvement on the Seaside Control Panel: what if a "restart" button was added to stop and start an adapter with a single click?

Background:
whenever you save and leave an image with a running Seaside Adapter und restart it (say, on the next day), the Adapter is still running, but is not reachable from the web browser. So you always need to restart the adapter. Same effect if the image is running in a Windows VM that went to hibernation and comes back.

This saves only one mouse click, but an annoying one.

Bonus points would be provided for thsi one: what if the image checked on startUp if there are running adapters and restarted them automatically? Stopping them on image save and quit without saving would also work, but then you'd have no info whether there was a running one when you left the image...

This bonus one would save lots of time, because for me at least, starting up an image or waking it up from the VM's hibernation ALWAYS works like this:
  • Start the image
  • Start the web browser (or bring it to the front)
  • visit localhost:xxxx/MyApp
  • get an error saying the server is unreachable
  • think for a millisecond (or 12, depending on coffee level) and remember to once again restart the adaptor
  • search for the darn Transcript Window in the long list of open windows
  • click on Tools->Open Seaside Control Panel
  • Stop the Adaptor
  • Start the Adaptor
  • Close the Seaside Control Panel to at least try and reduce window clutter (if this step was skipped, the search for the darn Transcript and Click on open is replaced with search for the darn Control Browser)
Just an idea, what do others think?

Joachim

Re: Improvement to Seaside Control Panel

Mariano Martinez Peck-2

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 6:40 AM Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

this is a very tiny idea for an improvement on the Seaside Control Panel: what if a "restart" button was added to stop and start an adapter with a single click?

Background:
whenever you save and leave an image with a running Seaside Adapter und restart it (say, on the next day), the Adapter is still running, but is not reachable from the web browser. So you always need to restart the adapter. Same effect if the image is running in a Windows VM that went to hibernation and comes back.

Hi Joachim,

I don't really understand the original issue. I have an image with am adapter running. I save it and quit. Then open it again. I can get to Seaside from the browser.
I tried this on both, Linux and Windows 9.1.
So I guess I am missing a part of the recipe to reproduce that " but is not reachable from the web browser.". Could you give me more details please?

[...]

As for myself, I am not a particular fan of this UI. I barely use it in VA, VW or Pharo. I always do everything by code/scripting hooking at OS level (init.d etc) as well as in image startup/shutdown. But that doesn't mean I am against any improvement on it :)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: Improvement to Seaside Control Panel

jtuchel
Mariano,

I apologize. The image close/save issue has been fixed somewhere in the 8.6 versions. I just tried and can confirm that restarting an image after an exit with saving does not end in a network error.

The only situation in which this happens is when VAST is running in a (vmware) VM and this VM goes to sleep/gets suspended. I don't have access to a native Windows machinde, so I cannot test if closing the laptop lid also leads to the same problem.

The effect is that if you wake up the Windows VM and try to connect tot the Smalltalk image, the adapter seems not to listen any more although it is running.

Joachim

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 6:40 AM Joachim Tuchel <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5NLIVjpEFwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jtu...@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 5:07 AM Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

I apologize. The image close/save issue has been fixed somewhere in the 8.6 versions. I just tried and can confirm that restarting an image after an exit with saving does not end in a network error.

Hi Joachim,

Unfortunately we are still seeing a (different) "freeze" in the image (SST waiting on a semaphore) that happens when you have a Seaside Adaptor running and you quit the image. This happens only in Linux (32 and 64). You couldn't yet confirm whether it is when saving and quitting or just quitting. And it happens quite infrequently (not reproducible). We believe there is some race condition and we think it's mostly related to Seaside adaptors #shutDown. For your own tracking, this is development case 63682.

The only situation in which this happens is when VAST is running in a (vmware) VM and this VM goes to sleep/gets suspended. I don't have access to a native Windows machinde, so I cannot test if closing the laptop lid also leads to the same problem.

I do have Windows vmware machines. I just tried suspending and waking up again (the guest VM)  and the adapters continue to work for me.
I even tried sleeping the host (with guest running) and waking up. Still works for me.

The effect is that if you wake up the Windows VM and try to connect tot the Smalltalk image, the adapter seems not to listen any more although it is running.

I am sorry Joachim but I cannot reproduce it. If you are able to reproduce it again, please share with me more detailed steps and I can try it again.

In any case, our plate right now is a bit full for adding that in the control panel. I can create a development case at least in case we have time. But if someone wants to do it, we would be happy to integrate it.

Hope you can understand.

Best regards and have a nice weekend,

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: Improvement to Seaside Control Panel

jtuchel
Mariano,

I've tried to find a way to make this issue occur reliably. Unfortunately, I am still not sure why the adapters need to be restarted so often. It has to do with the Windows VM going to sleep or maybe the (Mac) host going to sleep or whatever. All I can say that in my Windows VM the adapters need to be restarted almost every time I come back to work after I was away fro the machine....

It turns out the addition of a Restart menu option to the Server monitor was extremely easy, took me about 3 minutes. The server adaptors already have a restart method, so all that's needed is the menu items for the Seaside Control Panel.

Please find attached a fileout of my changes. They are tested ;-)
I Hope you'll find the changes risk free and easy enough to add to the product.

Joachim

WASstServerMonitor.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Improvement to Seaside Control Panel

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hi Joachim,

Thanks for sharing and testing. I opened development case 64472 and this will be integrated in the next build of 9.2.

Best,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 6:46 AM Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

Joachim