Improving Pharo By Example

12345

Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?

What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

Uko2
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
>
> What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
Thank you Yuriy

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
>
> What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
try using curl instead of wget, as it comes installed by default.
the key is using the -O option

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/07/wget-curl/

On 02 May 2014, at 13:15, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Yuriy
>
> I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.
>
> But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.
>

> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.
>
> I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.
>
> Uko
>

> On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
> >
> > What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
thank you sven, I was talking about the *.sh files that are part of the installation process and they use wget. You mean edit those files and replace wget with curl ? I have tested curl and fortunately its included with Mavericks.

On 02 May 2014, at 13:47, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thank you sven, I was talking about the *.sh files that are part of the installation process and they use wget. You mean edit those files and replace wget with curl ? I have tested curl and fortunately its included with Mavericks.

Ah, yes, if its in scripts that you are supposed to run, then that is different. If it is not too much work you could edit the scripts, or try to do manually what is in them.

> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> try using curl instead of wget, as it comes installed by default.
> the key is using the -O option
>
> http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/07/wget-curl/
>
> On 02 May 2014, at 13:15, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank you Yuriy
> >
> > I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.
> >
> > But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.
> >

> > On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.
> >
> > I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.
> >
> > Uko
> >

> > On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
> > >
> > > What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

Nicolas Cellier

Thank you Yuriy

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

Hi kilon,
which OS version?
It worked for me on OS 10.6 with these :

cd wget-1.15/
./configure --with-ssl=openssl
make
sudo make install

The make part did not finish, but rather failed with an error.
Never mind, it was while generating doc, because could not find gettext.
Just proceeding with install worked for me.

Nicolas

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
>
> What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

Uko2
There is some black magic with wget. I think you have to install command line tools which get uninstalled on every update. Also if I remember correctly, I’ve installed it with home-brew.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 13:15, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you Yuriy

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
>
> What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
Ok Nicolas I followed its advice and it looks like you are correct.Wget get error on make but make install seemed to worked.

But

I am getting an error connecting to the servers is Inria servers down today ?

this is the error

kilon-imac:UpdatedPharoByExample kilon$ ./download.sh

--2014-05-03 11:49:15--  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Pier3BookOnPharo20/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pier3BookOnPharo20.zip

Resolving ci.inria.fr... 193.51.193.223

Connecting to ci.inria.fr|193.51.193.223|:443... connected.

2014-05-03 11:49:16 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Yuriy thanks for the advice I have command line tools because I am building Blender the 3d open source app on my iMac. I tried before installing wget with homebrew it failed too.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is some black magic with wget. I think you have to install command line tools which get uninstalled on every update. Also if I remember correctly, I’ve installed it with home-brew.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 13:15, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you Yuriy

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
>
> What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
trying to get the file from my web browser gives me an error too so either the link is dead or servers are down, or something else ? at least looks like wget is working :)

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok Nicolas I followed its advice and it looks like you are correct.Wget get error on make but make install seemed to worked.

But

I am getting an error connecting to the servers is Inria servers down today ?

this is the error

kilon-imac:UpdatedPharoByExample kilon$ ./download.sh

--2014-05-03 11:49:15--  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Pier3BookOnPharo20/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pier3BookOnPharo20.zip

Resolving ci.inria.fr... 193.51.193.223

Connecting to ci.inria.fr|193.51.193.223|:443... connected.

2014-05-03 11:49:16 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Yuriy thanks for the advice I have command line tools because I am building Blender the 3d open source app on my iMac. I tried before installing wget with homebrew it failed too.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is some black magic with wget. I think you have to install command line tools which get uninstalled on every update. Also if I remember correctly, I’ve installed it with home-brew.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 13:15, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you Yuriy

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
>
> What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
so anyone willing to help me ? I tried once today again I get the same error.

Kilon-iMac:UpdatedPharoByExample kilon$ ./download.sh

--2014-05-05 21:21:16--  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Pier3BookOnPharo20/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pier3BookOnPharo20.zip

Resolving ci.inria.fr... 193.51.193.223

Connecting to ci.inria.fr|193.51.193.223|:443... connected.

2014-05-05 21:21:17 ERROR 404: Not Found.

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
trying to get the file from my web browser gives me an error too so either the link is dead or servers are down, or something else ? at least looks like wget is working :)

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok Nicolas I followed its advice and it looks like you are correct.Wget get error on make but make install seemed to worked.

But

I am getting an error connecting to the servers is Inria servers down today ?

this is the error

kilon-imac:UpdatedPharoByExample kilon$ ./download.sh

--2014-05-03 11:49:15--  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Pier3BookOnPharo20/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pier3BookOnPharo20.zip

Resolving ci.inria.fr... 193.51.193.223

Connecting to ci.inria.fr|193.51.193.223|:443... connected.

2014-05-03 11:49:16 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Yuriy thanks for the advice I have command line tools because I am building Blender the 3d open source app on my iMac. I tried before installing wget with homebrew it failed too.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is some black magic with wget. I think you have to install command line tools which get uninstalled on every update. Also if I remember correctly, I’ve installed it with home-brew.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 13:15, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you Yuriy

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?
>
> What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

Uko2
Ok, now I’m looking into this

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?

Please try to update to the latest version and execute scripts again (maybe even after deleting untracked files)

Uko

On 05 May 2014, at 21:35, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?

stepharo
This is really cool that people want to update the Pharo by Example book.
This is a really an important task and it will have a real impact.
You can also reduce the number of screenshots or point related to the
interaction.

What would be good is to make the automated tests working again because
we could spot
if we got some regressions.

Stef

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update
> current ones for Pharo 3 ?
>
> What is the process ?

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
it worked like a charm , thank you very much Yuriy. Problem solved. Now I need to figure out how to use the system but thats for tomorrow. Will be back with any question I may have.

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?

You are welcome and thanks for enthusiasm!

On 05 May 2014, at 22:25, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?

Well I am more than happy to help, I am even willing to add some new Chapters especially for newcomers and non coders as I have done already with my video tutorials and of course port the existing chapters to Pharo 3

I love Pharo I want to see it succed especially with non pro coders like me. For that good documentation is a must have.

Ok now I need to get this started, I try to compile the book but it complains that i dont have pdflatex.

So how this works ?

Have you made a guide about people like me that are not familiar with Pier or Latex or whatelse is used ?

if not are there any links I should be looking at ?

Do I need to learn latex or Pier syntax is enough ?

Also your links to the sample pier file is dead as are the other links too.

If you can help me get started I am more than willing to help you expand the Pharo documentation

Lets do this :)

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?

Yes, that README is dead long time (for now you may find the one from Enterprise book more useful https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoForTheEnterprise-english/blob/master/README.md). We are working on a book workflow and will provide a better documentation soon. You need pdflatex to compile pdf from latex. Also you should check https://github.com/DamienCassou/pillar-documentation to understand how pillar works. In 2 words: put your chapter in a dedicated dir in pillar-format file. Include it in pillar.conf file, then compile.sh will generate both html, latex, markdown versions for your chapter and a book with all chapters.

Feel free to ask for more.
Uko

On 06 May 2014, at 18:52, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I have tried to follow the installation instructions before on my iMAC but I was not successful installing wget. I tried building wget myself and it failed with errors, I tried using a binary of wget that I found online that failed too.

But I will give it another try today when I get home where my macs are and share with you the exact errors I am experiencing.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Here is a repo for updated version of Pharo by example https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample and it should be done in Pillar.

I’ve added you to the team, so feel free to contribute.

Uko

On 02 May 2014, at 12:22, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How I can help improve Pharo by Example , add chapters and update current ones for Pharo 3 ?

Damien Cassou
Yuriy, maybe the script could check if pdflatex is present and if not,
ignore the pdf generation? The pdf will be generated by the build
server so we don't really care. Moreover, one of the goals doing
pillar was to avoid asking everyone to install LaTeX which is quite
large. What do you think?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st