In-Image Documentation Dashboard

Torsten Bergmann
>We have so many cool mechanisms for in-image and external documentation now
>that I sometimes get confused!

The old "HelpSystem" that I wrote is in-image and was a first attempt on docu.

It can be used, but these days I REALLY prefer that we switch to "PharoOnlineHelp"
which is available in the config browser in Pharo 2.0.

  => just load it, start the server and open the browser

     (the "Browse" button in the panel currently only works on Windows but you can point your webbrowser
      to http://localhost:8080/)

It uses Markup and you easily describe anything with it, also include pictures, videos and other
resources. Markup is also readable even when not converted to HTML.

After trying the demo just check class "PharoTutorial" especially methods #pharoTutorialOn:
and #onlineHelpTutorialOn: that should give you an idea how easy it is to write documentation
and tutorials.

Both methods just use the pragma <onlineTutorial> and work with a builder (similar to the menu extensions).
Simple - isnt it?

The new online help is now also independent from any help framework classes
(the subclassing on CustomHelp and its dependency was a problem for people like Lukas to write docu
with the old HelpSystem). All this is solved in the new PharoOnlineHelp - IT JUST HAS TO BE USED.

Maybe one can DEMO it on #pharoconf so it can be discussed.

I would like to see in the near future:

 - people writing short tutorials using Markup with the <onlineTutorial> on their classes
 - a community hosted Pharo image at "http://help.pharo.org" with all these tutorials loaded so people
   can use their webbrowser to get more infos on all the nice packages and frameworks

Any support welcomed!

Regarding other docu efforts:
=============================
Camillo also provides WebDoc - a more "reference" like help based on comments in the image.
PharoOnlineHelp has this as well, see the API menu in the online help.

I would like to see parts of WebDoc merged into the online help project. Camillo wanted
to look into this AFAIK.

So please: have a look, use it, report on it and help moving it forward

Bye
T.

Re: In-Image Documentation Dashboard

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Torsten Bergmann wrote
The old "HelpSystem" that I wrote is in-image and was a first attempt on docu.
Ah, I see. I'm glad that you said that. I thought that was how help is/should currently be done.

Torsten Bergmann wrote
I REALLY prefer that we switch to "PharoOnlineHelp"
which is available in the config browser in Pharo 2.0.
So please: have a look, use it, report on it and help moving it forward
It looks /really/ nice! One thing that's missing is being able to evaluate Smalltalk snippets. If Smalltalk expressions were editable with halos around them to [do|inspect|debug]It, it would be really exciting. The multimedia is great for new users, but for my personal use, being able to easily evaluate things is what's crucial.
Cheers,
Sean