In Memory of Andreas Raab

1234

In Memory of Andreas Raab

Ron Teitelbaum

All,

I met Andreas many years ago.  I knew very quickly that Andreas was extremely bright and a very interesting person to know.  The more I found out about him the more we interacted the more I grew to respect him and his talent.  I was lucky enough to get a chance to work with Andreas.  Andreas was a phenomenon.  The work that he created was beautiful.  His method precise, his solutions well thought out and he was able to create with unmatched dexterity and efficiency.  We became good friends.  I was also lucky enough to be meet Andreas in person for the first time at his wedding.  Andreas was a very happy man.  Kathleen was Andreas’ perfect match.

We will miss Andreas terribly not only for his talent, but for how he touched our lives.  We lost a great friend.  The world feels like a much smaller place today.  Our hearts go out to Kathleen, and to the big group of family and friends that loved him so.

Ron Teitelbaum

From Alan Kay:

Dear All

At lunch today we -- Bert, Aran, Yoshiki and myself -- first got word (via a phone call from Rita to Bert) that Andreas was suddenly in a hospital in serious condition. Then a few minutes later we were told that he had died.

At this point we have no other information except that he left normally for work this morning.

Bert will let us know when we have more news.

We all loved Andreas and nothing can lesson our grief at this sudden tragedy

Best wishes to all

Alan

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

David T. Lewis
Thank you for posting this Ron. I wish I could tell Andreas how much
I admired and respected him, and how much I will miss him.

Dave

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 09:30:25PM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> All,
>
> I met Andreas many years ago.  I knew very quickly that Andreas was
> extremely bright and a very interesting person to know.  The more I found
> out about him the more we interacted the more I grew to respect him and his
> talent.  I was lucky enough to get a chance to work with Andreas.  Andreas
> was a phenomenon.  The work that he created was beautiful.  His method
> precise, his solutions well thought out and he was able to create with
> unmatched dexterity and efficiency.  We became good friends.  I was also
> lucky enough to be meet Andreas in person for the first time at his wedding.
> Andreas was a very happy man.  Kathleen was Andreas' perfect match.
>
> We will miss Andreas terribly not only for his talent, but for how he
> touched our lives.  We lost a great friend.  The world feels like a much
> smaller place today.  Our hearts go out to Kathleen, and to the big group of
> family and friends that loved him so.
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
>
> >From Alan Kay:
>
> Dear All
>
> At lunch today we -- Bert, Aran, Yoshiki and myself -- first got word (via a
> phone call from Rita to Bert) that Andreas was suddenly in a hospital in
> serious condition. Then a few minutes later we were told that he had died.
>
> At this point we have no other information except that he left normally for
> work this morning.
>
> Bert will let us know when we have more news.
>
> We all loved Andreas and nothing can lesson our grief at this sudden tragedy
>
> Best wishes to all
>
> Alan

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Bert Freudenberg
Yes, thank you Ron for posting. Andreas was a very good friend. I don't have words to describe my sadness.

- Bert -

On 14.01.2013, at 18:56, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for posting this Ron. I wish I could tell Andreas how much
> I admired and respected him, and how much I will miss him.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 09:30:25PM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I met Andreas many years ago.  I knew very quickly that Andreas was
>> extremely bright and a very interesting person to know.  The more I found
>> out about him the more we interacted the more I grew to respect him and his
>> talent.  I was lucky enough to get a chance to work with Andreas.  Andreas
>> was a phenomenon.  The work that he created was beautiful.  His method
>> precise, his solutions well thought out and he was able to create with
>> unmatched dexterity and efficiency.  We became good friends.  I was also
>> lucky enough to be meet Andreas in person for the first time at his wedding.
>> Andreas was a very happy man.  Kathleen was Andreas' perfect match.
>>
>> We will miss Andreas terribly not only for his talent, but for how he
>> touched our lives.  We lost a great friend.  The world feels like a much
>> smaller place today.  Our hearts go out to Kathleen, and to the big group of
>> family and friends that loved him so.
>>
>> Ron Teitelbaum
>>
>>> From Alan Kay:
>>
>> Dear All
>>
>> At lunch today we -- Bert, Aran, Yoshiki and myself -- first got word (via a
>> phone call from Rita to Bert) that Andreas was suddenly in a hospital in
>> serious condition. Then a few minutes later we were told that he had died.
>>
>> At this point we have no other information except that he left normally for
>> work this morning.
>>
>> Bert will let us know when we have more news.
>>
>> We all loved Andreas and nothing can lesson our grief at this sudden tragedy
>>
>> Best wishes to all
>>
>> Alan

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
Thank you Ron for posting it.  Your comment about Andreas being very
happy man cannot be overstated.

Remember his post to the squeak-dev right after 9/11?  That is one of
those I still recall often.

-- Yoshiki

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Chris Cunnington
On 2013-01-14 10:42 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> Thank you Ron for posting it.  Your comment about Andreas being very
> happy man cannot be overstated.
>
> Remember his post to the squeak-dev right after 9/11?  That is one of
> those I still recall often.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2001-September/028173.html

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Janko Mivšek
This news are really shock for me. Shock because we lost one of the
brightest Smalltalkers who contributed to our community a lot.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Nikolay Suslov
There are no words to express the tragedy that has happened. Grieve deeply with all.
Andreas was and will be in our memory as unselfish, faithful and not indifferent to everything that he was saying, doing and implementing into life as wizard.
Squeak, Etoys, Impara.de, Tweak, OpenCroquet, Teleplace, OpenQwaq.. all these work will ever remain inextricably linked to Andreas Raab.

Nikolay

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From Alan Kay:

Dear All

At lunch today we -- Bert, Aran, Yoshiki and myself -- first got word (via a phone call from Rita to Bert) that Andreas was suddenly in a hospital in serious condition. Then a few minutes later we were told that he had died.

At this point we have no other information except that he left normally for work this morning.

Bert will let us know when we have more news.

We all loved Andreas and nothing can lesson our grief at this sudden tragedy

Best wishes to all

Alan

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Stéphane Rollandin
I am very sorry today.

Ste

Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] In Memory of Andreas Raab

Hi Janko

Indeed this is a **really** sad news. We just learned his death now.
I was not in sync with andreas' vision but he was a nice and creative opponent.

This reminds us that life is short and fragile.
Sudden death is always difficult to handle and I wish a lot of strength to his family and friends.
I got some family deaths over the years and this is always a difficult moment.

Stef

> This news are really shock for me. Shock because we lost one of the
> brightest Smalltalkers who contributed to our community a lot.
>
> Janko
>
> Dne 15. 01. 2013 03:30, piše Ron Teitelbaum:
>> All,
>>
>> I met Andreas many years ago.  I knew very quickly that Andreas was
>> extremely bright and a very interesting person to know.  The more I
>> found out about him the more we interacted the more I grew to respect
>> him and his talent.  I was lucky enough to get a chance to work with
>> Andreas.  Andreas was a phenomenon.  The work that he created was
>> beautiful.  His method precise, his solutions well thought out and he
>> was able to create with unmatched dexterity and efficiency.  We became
>> good friends.  I was also lucky enough to be meet Andreas in person for
>> the first time at his wedding.  Andreas was a very happy man.  Kathleen
>> was Andreas’ perfect match.
>>
>> We will miss Andreas terribly not only for his talent, but for how he
>> touched our lives.  We lost a great friend.  The world feels like a much
>> smaller place today.  Our hearts go out to Kathleen, and to the big
>> group of family and friends that loved him so.
>>
>> Ron Teitelbaum
>>
>> From Alan Kay:
>>
>> Dear All
>>
>> At lunch today we -- Bert, Aran, Yoshiki and myself -- first got word
>> (via a phone call from Rita to Bert) that Andreas was suddenly in a
>> hospital in serious condition. Then a few minutes later we were told
>> that he had died.
>>
>> At this point we have no other information except that he left normally
>> for work this morning.
>>
>> Bert will let us know when we have more news.
>>
>> We all loved Andreas and nothing can lesson our grief at this sudden tragedy
>>
>> Best wishes to all
>>
>> Alan
>>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] In Memory of Andreas Raab

On 1/14/13 11:30 PM, "Ron Teitelbaum" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]
From Alan Kay:
Dear All
At lunch today we -- Bert, Aran, Yoshiki and myself -- first got word (via a phone call from Rita to Bert) that Andreas was suddenly in a hospital in serious condition. Then a few minutes later we were told that he had died.
At this point we have no other information except that he left normally for work this morning.
Bert will let us know when we have more news.
We all loved Andreas and nothing can lesson our grief at this sudden tragedy
Best wishes to all
Alan

Very bad news.
We remembered his talent by ages.

Edgar

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Göran Krampe
Dear friends in both Squeak and Pharo communities,

I am stunned but felt I just had to write something on this day and I am
CCing Pharo because in the end we are all the same community in my book.

Andreas was so young and had just started the next chapter of his life
together with Kathleen. Now, there are other people in this community
who knew Andreas much better than I did, but I still want to write
something, especially perhaps to you who aren't that familiar with
Andreas and all the work he has done for us.

Andreas was *exceptionally* bright and above all perhaps the single most
*productive* Squeaker in our community - we use lots of his code every
day. In a Squeak 4.4 image there are 6382 methods with his developer
initials currently on them touching in total almost a thousand classes.
And this is more than *double* the amount of methods as the second
developer on that list. And since this is just based on the latest
version of the method, his legacy is even bigger in reality.

"Top thirty method touchers"
((CompiledMethod allInstances collect: [:m |
        m timeStamp readStream upTo: Character space])
                asBag sortedCounts first: 30)

"Classes touched by Andreas"
(CompiledMethod allInstances select: [:m |
        (m timeStamp readStream upTo: Character space) = 'ar']
                thenCollect: [:m | m methodClass])
                  asSet

And even in Pharo 1.4 his mark is still there with almost 3000 methods
touching almost 400 classes, this places him at *fourth* place.

And of course he wrote the Windows VM and was an instrumental developer
of Croquet/Teleplace and much, much, *much* more.

Now, we have a few VM developers who are very good at those parts. And
we have developers who are very good at selected areas of the image
level. But people like Andreas who work on *all* levels of Squeak, from
the VM and all the way up to 3D and stuff like Croquet... well, we don't
have many and at the moment I am not sure I can think of anyone with the
same span as Andreas had.

I only met him a few times, at OOPSLA I think and once he visited
Stockholm and we had some time hacking and talking about Squeak and how
to grow the community and so on. He cared quite a lot about the
community, perhaps more than most people thought.

Two years ago Andreas contacted me for some contract work for Teleplace
and he was as always very sharp, friendly and helpful in getting me up
to speed and being involved although I was sitting here in Stockholm. We
had some late night Skype sessions digging deep together in odd network
protocols and it was in the middle of one such session, about 2 years
ago that I asked him:

        Me: And hey, Eliot gossiped that you ... met someone? :)
        Andreas: Yes, indeed. Madly in love as they say :-)

Life is just not fair. This is a very sad day.

Göran

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

garduino
Very very sad news.

I don't knew him in person but I've still mails from him in my inbox to helping me with WebClient or any stuff about what I asked.

Rest in peace Andreas and thanks for your incredible contributions to the Squeak world.

Germán.

2013/1/15 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>
[...]

CdAB63
Sad day today.

One bright person passed away. A person who contributed in many ways to
a better world: a world of free innovative software and new ideas. I'd
ask ones who are intimate to Andreas family to communicate them my most
sincere condolences.

CdAB

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Stephen Pair
It's been a long time since I've been active in the squeak community, but was saddened to read this news this morning.  My condolences and best wishes to his family. - Stephen

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Geert Claes
Administrator
+1 sad news indeed, my condolences and strength to his family and friends!

Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] In Memory of Andreas Raab

Hi goran

You are right! This is a sad day.
We got a friend that nearly died last year and young member of my family that died suddenly recently.
This is why we should have fun and also think that life is fragile.
This is why I decided to be in positive energy, to create good energy around me and enjoy life and coding.

Stef

> Dear friends in both Squeak and Pharo communities,
>
> I am stunned but felt I just had to write something on this day and I am CCing Pharo because in the end we are all the same community in my book.
>
> Andreas was so young and had just started the next chapter of his life together with Kathleen. Now, there are other people in this community who knew Andreas much better than I did, but I still want to write something, especially perhaps to you who aren't that familiar with Andreas and all the work he has done for us.
>
> Andreas was *exceptionally* bright and above all perhaps the single most *productive* Squeaker in our community - we use lots of his code every day. In a Squeak 4.4 image there are 6382 methods with his developer initials currently on them touching in total almost a thousand classes. And this is more than *double* the amount of methods as the second developer on that list. And since this is just based on the latest version of the method, his legacy is even bigger in reality.
>
> "Top thirty method touchers"
> ((CompiledMethod allInstances collect: [:m |
> m timeStamp readStream upTo: Character space])
> asBag sortedCounts first: 30)
>
> "Classes touched by Andreas"
> (CompiledMethod allInstances select: [:m |
> (m timeStamp readStream upTo: Character space) = 'ar']
> thenCollect: [:m | m methodClass])
> asSet
>
> And even in Pharo 1.4 his mark is still there with almost 3000 methods touching almost 400 classes, this places him at *fourth* place.
>
> And of course he wrote the Windows VM and was an instrumental developer of Croquet/Teleplace and much, much, *much* more.
>
> Now, we have a few VM developers who are very good at those parts. And we have developers who are very good at selected areas of the image level. But people like Andreas who work on *all* levels of Squeak, from the VM and all the way up to 3D and stuff like Croquet... well, we don't have many and at the moment I am not sure I can think of anyone with the same span as Andreas had.
>
> I only met him a few times, at OOPSLA I think and once he visited Stockholm and we had some time hacking and talking about Squeak and how to grow the community and so on. He cared quite a lot about the community, perhaps more than most people thought.
>
> Two years ago Andreas contacted me for some contract work for Teleplace and he was as always very sharp, friendly and helpful in getting me up to speed and being involved although I was sitting here in Stockholm. We had some late night Skype sessions digging deep together in odd network protocols and it was in the middle of one such session, about 2 years ago that I asked him:
>
> Me: And hey, Eliot gossiped that you ... met someone? :)
> Andreas: Yes, indeed. Madly in love as they say :-)
>
> Life is just not fair. This is a very sad day.
>
> Göran

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Karl Ramberg
This is very sad news. My condolences to all friends and family.
I did not know Andreas in person but I will remember Andreas as a big authority on most aspects of
Squeak. It's difficult to measure the importance of something like Squeak concerning matters like death.
If we think of it as collective knowledge, Göran pointed out how much Andreas contributed to this. And
we will all continue to expand our knowledge standing on shoulders of a very knowledgeable man.

- Karl

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 sad news indeed, my condolences and strength to his family and friends!

Re: In Memory of Andreas Raab

Colin Putney-3

Sadly,

I only met Andreas once, at a conference years ago, but he touched my life far more than that one meeting would suggest. A few words of praise meant a lot, coming from him, as did words of criticism, clear and insightful as they were. Shortly after the trunk process got started, I submitted some changes to the Inbox for review, but he would have none of it, and insisted that I submit directly to the trunk as a core dev. He was almost single-handedly responsible for shaping Squeak as it exists today—technically and socially.

I'll miss him.

Colin

1234