In-memory implementation of MessageCatalog?

In-memory implementation of MessageCatalog?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Has anyone done any work to implement in-memory message catalog store as replacement for the (awkward) file-based one? It doesn’t look like it would be a lot of effort, but it’s best to ask first.

-Boris

Sr. Software Engineer

DeepCove Labs

4th floor, 595 Howe Street

Vancouver, BC V6C 2T5

Canada

Re: In-memory implementation of MessageCatalog?

Christian Haider

Hi Boris,

I do have such a thing. But before I am going to extract it, document it and, in the long run, maintain it, I just want to check if it is really what you want.

My implementation is like the system one but only in memory. That means that it does not support multi lingual apps (more than one language at a time as you would need for web apps etc.).

It does enable you to redefine (shadow) system messages for other languages.

Is this what you need?

Is there interest elsewhere, justifying to put some work into it to have it as a public goodie?

Cheers,

                Christian

Re: In-memory implementation of MessageCatalog?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Christian,

Nah, I need multiple catalogs loaded for multiple language identifiers at the same time, just without the file sources or file indexes.

-Boris

On 2012-11-09, at 15:11, "Christian Haider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christian

Re: In-memory implementation of MessageCatalog?

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Boris,

Take a look at the Package called an ExtraCatalogs in the public
repository. It still loads from the files but then stays in memory.

We use it and it seem to work fine, with couple of small tweaks specific
to our app.

--Mark Pirogovsky

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs wrote:

> Has anyone done any work to implement in-memory message catalog store
> as replacement for the (awkward) file-based one? It doesn’t look like
> it would be a lot of effort, but it’s best to ask first.
>
> -Boris
>
> Sr. Software Engineer
>
> DeepCove Labs
>
> 4th floor, 595 Howe Street
>
> Vancouver, BC V6C 2T5
>
> Canada

Re: In-memory implementation of MessageCatalog?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Mark,

I'd still like to avoid files even for loading but that may be a good start, I'll have a look, thanks.

-Boris

On 2012-11-10, at 13:18, "Mark Pirogovsky" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Boris,
>
> Take a look at the Package called an ExtraCatalogs in the public repository. It still loads from the files but then stays in memory.
>
> We use it and it seem to work fine, with couple of small tweaks specific to our app.
>
> --Mark Pirogovsky
>
> Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone done any work to implement in-memory message catalog store as replacement for the (awkward) file-based one? It doesn’t look like it would be a lot of effort, but it’s best to ask first.
>>
>> -Boris
>>
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>
>> DeepCove Labs
>>
>> 4th floor, 595 Howe Street
>>
>> Vancouver, BC V6C 2T5
>>
>> Canada

Re: In-memory implementation of MessageCatalog?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Mark,

I ended up using ExtraCatalogs, but constructing SimpleMessageCatalogs on the fly from TranslationUnit definitions in source and then registering them with proper locales to enable lookup in multiple languages for web apps, which isn't supported by the stock loader.