Inbox cleaning

123

Re: Inbox and Communication

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:49:30PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >Thanks Casey,
> >
> >I'm not sure how to make this better (and my point was really only
> >to focus more on how to make it better versus how to nag people etc).
> >
> >That said, I think that the problem I experience is that I have a
> >hard time looking at something in the inbox, figuring out how out
> >of date it might be, and figuring out exactly what changes it was
> >originally attempting to make. In many cases, the submission might
> >involve just a few methods, but it takes me a long time to figure
> >that out by browsing the MCZ and cross-checking against emails.
> >
> >I find the Montecello process to be wonderful for development and
> >for maintaining the update stream, but when I look at something
> >that someone else submitted a few weeks ago, I find myself wishing
> >that I could just look at the change set.
> >
> >So maybe I am just looking for a button that says "show me the
> >change set" where the change set would be the changes that the
> >original author was submitting two weeks ago.
>
> For a single package, use MC's merge button. It will show all changes
> and even highlight conflicts with newer changes in the Trunk.
>
> For multiple packages, we have no solution yet. What you can do is to
> merge all packages into your image and then create a changeset from the
> changesets created by MC, using the Dual Change Sorter.
>

> >I have an uneasy feeling that there is some existing way to do
> >this and I'm too dumb to have noticed it yet, so I'm preparing
> >myself for an embarassing reply from Bert within the next few
> >minutes ;)
>
> Bert modified our Squeaksource to create diffs (like those which are sent
> to this list) and changesets, but changesets only work for packages
> already in the Trunk for some reason.

Levente,

Thanks for the tips. And of course Bert's SqueakSource code is
all on source.squeak.org, but I never thought to look there (d'oh!).

Dave

Re: Inbox and Communication

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think most existing SCM solutions make this less painful with magic branching/merging/digging goodness. MC doesn't support branches, so we use a separate repository, which I think kind of sucks. I doubt we can fix that easily, though.

Well, with VMMaker we're using an arguably dubious convention that supports branching Cog from the Interpreter in the same repository just fine.  So I'm not sure I agree.

Eliot

On Apr 15, 2011, at 2:12 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> hard time looking at something in the inbox, figuring out how out
> of date it might be, and figuring out exactly what changes it was
> originally attempting to make. In many cases, the submission might
> involve just a few methods, but it takes me a long time to figure
> that out by browsing the MCZ and cross-checking against emails.
>
> I find the Montecello process to be wonderful for development and
> for maintaining the update stream, but when I look at something
> that someone else submitted a few weeks ago, I find myself wishing
> that I could just look at the change set.
>
> So maybe I am just looking for a button that says "show me the
> change set" where the change set would be the changes that the
> original author was submitting two weeks ago.
>
> I have an uneasy feeling that there is some existing way to do
> this and I'm too dumb to have noticed it yet, so I'm preparing
> myself for an embarassing reply from Bert within the next few
> minutes ;)
>
> Thanks for the work you are doing on the inbox!
>
> Dave
>

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 01:45:24PM -0700, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>> David: I know how to tell you that I want something merged, but I don't know how to make it smooth or fun.
>>
>> You said it's a pain right now. Would you develop that? I want to know what I can do to make the Inbox process suck less for you (as a core committer.)
>>
>> This is actually pretty important for me, because it's a great way for me to get wonderful feedback about the code I'm writing. "What's this method you're trying to add? You know there's already a method for that called #foo, right?" Etcetera.
>>
>> It's such a great opportunity to learn that I've never wanted strongly to ask for Trunk access, even after I hit the point where I felt pretty comfortable with Smalltalk. I figure I'll ask when I actually need it, like if I wanted to bring over my themes engine from Cuis, in which case there'd be enough code that merging it in would be a pain for someone else.
>>
>> That said, I really value the feedback I get from the core dev team, so I want to make doing so as painless as possible for them.
>>
>> I note that there is very little process around the Inbox covered in Andreas' original development process document. We should amend the doc when we figure out what works. I don't mind doing that, and I would bet that Mr. Hirzel or Mr. Haupt could be convinced to step in if I am unexpectedly run over by a bus.

>>> I think you should turn the question around backwards. Instead of
>>> "what can we do to to make people work on the inbox?" ask "what can
>>> we do to the inbox process to make people want to work on it?".
>>>
>>> For me, working on something in the inbox should be an enjoyable
>>> thing to do for an hour or so in the morning with a nice cup of
>>> fresh coffee. Right now it's kind of a pain to figure out what's
>>> going in the the inbox, so I tend to find something else to do

Re: Inbox and Communication

Casey Ransberger-2
You mean the MC package, not the SVN sources right? What's the convention?

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Inbox and Communication

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
You mean the MC package, not the SVN sources right?

Right.

What's the convention?

Use some false initials that name the branch, and start its version numbers from e.g. 1.  So I name my open-source Cog versions VMMaker-oscog.N.  The package still has my initials as author.  David is using VMMaker-oscog.dtl.N, etc.

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Inbox and Communication

Colin Putney-3
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Use some false initials that name the branch, and start its version numbers
> from e.g. 1.  So I name my open-source Cog versions VMMaker-oscog.N.  The
> package still has my initials as author.  David is using
> VMMaker-oscog.dtl.N, etc.

Actually, MC does have some support for branching. If you use the
following convention, MC will do the "right" thing - group the
branched versions together in the UI, automatically suggest a version
name that's on a branch, and still allow you to merge between
branches. The naming convention is:

So if Eliot were using the standard convention, his versions would be
named like this:

VMMaker.oscog-eem.147

Colin

Re: Inbox and Communication

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Use some false initials that name the branch, and start its version numbers
> from e.g. 1.  So I name my open-source Cog versions VMMaker-oscog.N.  The
> package still has my initials as author.  David is using
> VMMaker-oscog.dtl.N, etc.

Actually, MC does have some support for branching. If you use the
following convention, MC will do the "right" thing - group the
branched versions together in the UI, automatically suggest a version
name that's on a branch, and still allow you to merge between
branches. The naming convention is:

So if Eliot were using the standard convention, his versions would be
named like this:

VMMaker.oscog-eem.147

I shall start using this.  Thanks.

Eliot

Colin

Re: Inbox and Communication

Göran Krampe
On 04/16/2011 06:42 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Eliot Miranda
>
>      > Use some false initials that name the branch, and start its
>     version numbers
>      > from e.g. 1.  So I name my open-source Cog versions
>     VMMaker-oscog.N.  The
>      > package still has my initials as author.  David is using
>      > VMMaker-oscog.dtl.N, etc.
>
>     Actually, MC does have some support for branching. If you use the
>     following convention, MC will do the "right" thing - group the
>     branched versions together in the UI, automatically suggest a version
>     name that's on a branch, and still allow you to merge between
>     branches. The naming convention is:

>     So if Eliot were using the standard convention, his versions would be
>     named like this:
>
>     VMMaker.oscog-eem.147
>

> I shall start using this.  Thanks.

We used a similar scheme in Gjallar development - works great. And one
branch/person can be designated as "trunk" and merges the other's
snapshots in selectively and typically makes snapshots that "work".

Then the other devs can just snapshot away (possibly by first rebasing,
but we didn't do that) and occasionally merge with the "trunk" to get
all the other's contributions that have been allowed into trunk.

regards, Göran

Re: Inbox and Communication

Chris Muller-3
Interesting naming scheme; is that something we should "document" in
MCVersionName?

Also, just to clarify our words, MC _does_ support branches in the
domain, just not names for them.  But in terms of the ancestry, you
can unlimited branching, which could be rendered if the tools were
improved to do that..  Adding a name to something can often be done
via external annotation, notwithstanding this naming scheme..

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Use some false initials that name the branch, and start its version numbers
>> from e.g. 1.  So I name my open-source Cog versions VMMaker-oscog.N.  The
>> package still has my initials as author.  David is using
>> VMMaker-oscog.dtl.N, etc.
>
> Actually, MC does have some support for branching. If you use the
> following convention, MC will do the "right" thing - group the
> branched versions together in the UI, automatically suggest a version
> name that's on a branch, and still allow you to merge between
> branches. The naming convention is:

> So if Eliot were using the standard convention, his versions would be
> named like this:
>
> VMMaker.oscog-eem.147
>
> Colin

Re: Inbox and Communication

Casey Ransberger-2
Well, I've learned something today! I wonder if I can fit my other foot in my mouth at the same time...

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Inbox and Communication

Colin Putney-3
On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting naming scheme; is that something we should "document" in
> MCVersionName?
>
> Also, just to clarify our words, MC _does_ support branches in the
> domain, just not names for them.  But in terms of the ancestry, you
> can unlimited branching, which could be rendered if the tools were
> improved to do that..  Adding a name to something can often be done
> via external annotation, notwithstanding this naming scheme..

Well, actually, it supports names for branches as well. The problem is
that it doesn't have a "branch" command, so there's no way to discover
the naming convention for branches. You just have to know.

Re: Inbox and Communication

Casey Ransberger-2
Is there anything blocking the addition of some UI for it? Or was that just a YAGNI thing?

It'd be neat to expose the feature to folks like me who don't know the code base:)

On Apr 16, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Interesting naming scheme; is that something we should "document" in
>> MCVersionName?
>>
>> Also, just to clarify our words, MC _does_ support branches in the
>> domain, just not names for them.  But in terms of the ancestry, you
>> can unlimited branching, which could be rendered if the tools were
>> improved to do that..  Adding a name to something can often be done
>> via external annotation, notwithstanding this naming scheme..
>
> Well, actually, it supports names for branches as well. The problem is
> that it doesn't have a "branch" command, so there's no way to discover
> the naming convention for branches. You just have to know.

Re: Inbox and Communication

Colin Putney-3
On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Casey Ransberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there anything blocking the addition of some UI for it? Or was that just a YAGNI thing?

I think it was mostly that we *didn't* need it because MC lets you
edit the name of a version anyway. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Colin

Re: Inbox and Communication

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/16/11, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting naming scheme; is that something we should "document" in
> MCVersionName?

Yes, please

--Hannes

> Also, just to clarify our words, MC _does_ support branches in the
> domain, just not names for them.  But in terms of the ancestry, you
> can unlimited branching, which could be rendered if the tools were
> improved to do that..  Adding a name to something can often be done
> via external annotation, notwithstanding this naming scheme..
>

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Use some false initials that name the branch, and start its version
>>> numbers
>>> from e.g. 1.  So I name my open-source Cog versions VMMaker-oscog.N.  The
>>> package still has my initials as author.  David is using
>>> VMMaker-oscog.dtl.N, etc.
>>
>> Actually, MC does have some support for branching. If you use the
>> following convention, MC will do the "right" thing - group the
>> branched versions together in the UI, automatically suggest a version
>> name that's on a branch, and still allow you to merge between
>> branches. The naming convention is:

>> So if Eliot were using the standard convention, his versions would be
>> named like this:
>>
>> VMMaker.oscog-eem.147
>>
>> Colin

Re: Inbox and Communication

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> On 4/16/11, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Interesting naming scheme; is that something we should "document" in
>> MCVersionName?
>
> Yes, please

The question was not about if there should be some documentation added or
not, but whether if this naming convetion is/should be widely used.
There's at least one other existing naming scheme for branches
(http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3328 ), but IIRC we used to use something
for Gjallar too.
So IMHO if it's added to the class comment, then it should only be a
suggestion for future users.

Levente

> --Hannes
>

>> Also, just to clarify our words, MC _does_ support branches in the
>> domain, just not names for them.  But in terms of the ancestry, you
>> can unlimited branching, which could be rendered if the tools were
>> improved to do that..  Adding a name to something can often be done
>> via external annotation, notwithstanding this naming scheme..
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Actually, MC does have some support for branching. If you use the
>>> following convention, MC will do the "right" thing - group the
>>> branched versions together in the UI, automatically suggest a version
>>> name that's on a branch, and still allow you to merge between
>>> branches. The naming convention is:

>>> So if Eliot were using the standard convention, his versions would be
>>> named like this:
>>>
>>> VMMaker.oscog-eem.147
>>>
>>> Colin

Re: Inbox and Communication

Chris Muller-3
Personally, I think we should leave the names alone and let the
'ancestry' determine the... ancestry.

Because otherwise the names could get "out of sync" with real
ancestry; or some tools of the future would invariably rely on parsing
names (yuck) to determine ancestry rather than the actual domain.

I, personally, don't think such naming is that great of a benefit;
because whereever there are majorly-different branches of a package,
they are worked on in different *images*; and they don't even have to
be in separate MC repositories at all, even with FileBased; because
you can see the real History straight from the domain object
(MCVersionInfo) via the "History" button, which excludes all of the
versions from the "other" branch.  So I don't see that complicated
naming solves any real problem..

 - Chris

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> On 4/16/11, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting naming scheme; is that something we should "document" in
>>> MCVersionName?
>>
>> Yes, please
>
> The question was not about if there should be some documentation added or
> not, but whether if this naming convetion is/should be widely used. There's
> at least one other existing naming scheme for branches
> (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3328 ), but IIRC we used to use something for
> Gjallar too.
> So IMHO if it's added to the class comment, then it should only be a
> suggestion for future users.
>

> Levente
>

>> --Hannes
>>

>>> Also, just to clarify our words, MC _does_ support branches in the
>>> domain, just not names for them.  But in terms of the ancestry, you
>>> can unlimited branching, which could be rendered if the tools were
>>> improved to do that..  Adding a name to something can often be done
>>> via external annotation, notwithstanding this naming scheme..

Re: Inbox and Communication

Colin Putney-3
On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Personally, I think we should leave the names alone and let the
> 'ancestry' determine the... ancestry.

Names don't determine the ancestry. The only thing the name is used
for is display in the UI. And that's all a "branch" is in MC - a bunch
of versions that are grouped together in the UI.

Colin

Re: Inbox and Communication

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 12:19:49PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Yes, please
> >
> > The question was not about if there should be some documentation added or
> > not, but whether if this naming convetion is/should be widely used. There's
> > at least one other existing naming scheme for branches
> > (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3328 ), but IIRC we used to use something for
> > Gjallar too.
> > So IMHO if it's added to the class comment, then it should only be a
> > suggestion for future users.
> >
> Personally, I think we should leave the names alone and let the
> 'ancestry' determine the... ancestry.
>
> Because otherwise the names could get "out of sync" with real
> ancestry; or some tools of the future would invariably rely on parsing
> names (yuck) to determine ancestry rather than the actual domain.
>
> I, personally, don't think such naming is that great of a benefit;
> because whereever there are majorly-different branches of a package,
> they are worked on in different *images*; and they don't even have to
> be in separate MC repositories at all, even with FileBased; because
> you can see the real History straight from the domain object
> (MCVersionInfo) via the "History" button, which excludes all of the
> versions from the "other" branch.  So I don't see that complicated
> naming solves any real problem..

Actually it does solve a real problem. Between Eliot, Igor, and myself,
not one of us knew enough to use a good naming convention in the VMMaker
project. Thus we missed an opportunity to have the branches displayed
more clearly in the browser. So even if this is just a naming hack,
and even if it should only be taken as a suggestion for future users,
it still would be helpful to document it.

I agree with Hannes: "yes please!"

Dave

Re: Inbox and Communication

Chris Muller-4
> Actually it does solve a real problem. Between Eliot, Igor, and myself,
> not one of us knew enough to use a good naming convention in the VMMaker
> project. Thus we missed an opportunity to have the branches displayed
> more clearly in the browser.

Ok, but that reinforces my point that it's a tool shortfall that can't
display the _real_ branches; you had to rely on filename sorting to
see the individual branches clearly.  But if one of you had accidently
used the naming convention of one of your peers on your own branch, MC
would "incorrectly" display that version intermingled in your own
"branch", because the real branch is determined by the ancestry, not
the name.

Colin wrote:

> And that's all a "branch" is in MC - a bunch
> of versions that are grouped together in the UI.

No, a branch is based on the ancestry, regardless of how they're
grouped in the UI.

I understand we WANT separate branches to be grouped in the UI, but
currently they aren't.  I think it would be nice if the tools could do
it; for example, maybe a hierarchy where only the most-current "leaf"
versions of each branch are displayed, but they could be expanded to
show their list of immediate ancestors.

> So even if this is just a naming hack,
> and even if it should only be taken as a suggestion for future users,
> it still would be helpful to document it.

I think it should be "documented" as accessing methods in MCVersionName.

 - Chris

Re: Inbox and Communication

Chris Muller-4
> would "incorrectly" display that version intermingled in your own

I meant to say, "intermingled in the other guys list", not your own.

Re: Inbox and Communication

Colin Putney-3
Chris Muller wrote (among other things):

> it's a tool shortfall that can't display the _real_ branches

and:

> No, a branch is based on the ancestry, regardless of how they're
> grouped in the UI.

You seem to have some pretty strong opinions about branches. Would you
care to expand on this a little bit? Maybe we can learn something.

Colin

123