Including PAI with deployed app

Chris Hayes-3
Are there any licensing or technical issues involved in deploying an
application that uses PublishedAspectInspectors as part of the UI?  I'd like
to use PAIs to allow the user to change settings for the runtime application
(similar to what is done in the development environment with
"Tools->Inspect->Options").

Thanks.

Chris Hayes

Re: Including PAI with deployed app

Blair McGlashan
"Chris Hayes" <hayes@*zapthis*.creative-computing-inc.com> wrote in message
news:El8E8.21478$[hidden email]...
> Are there any licensing or technical issues involved in deploying an
> application that uses PublishedAspectInspectors as part of the UI?  I'd
like
> to use PAIs to allow the user to change settings for the runtime
application
> (similar to what is done in the development environment with
> "Tools->Inspect->Options").

Strictly speaking it is part of the development system, and therefore not
re-distributable under the terms of the license. However I don't think we'd
have any particular objections to you redistributing it as long as you were
not distributing other bits of the development system with it. The lagoon
deployment log lists any development classes that remain in the image after
deployment.

The problems I think you will face are:
1) It may be tricky to extracate from the development system. You will have
to repackage it and its supporting classes before deployment, perhaps
initiated from the deployment script. The Aspect class references quite a
lot of development time stuff, so it may be difficult to break it out
cleanly.
2) It is designed as a development "inspector" style tool, and so doesn't
perform sufficient validation of input to be used in an end-user application
(IMHO).
3) The presentation of information also has a development flavour in some
cases

Regards

Blair

Re: Including PAI with deployed app

Chris Hayes-3
"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:abtsop$l3it5$[hidden email]...
> "Chris Hayes" <hayes@*zapthis*.creative-computing-inc.com> wrote in
message
> news:El8E8.21478$[hidden email]...
> The problems I think you will face are:
> 1) It may be tricky to extracate from the development system. You will
have
> to repackage it and its supporting classes before deployment, perhaps
> initiated from the deployment script. The Aspect class references quite a
> lot of development time stuff, so it may be difficult to break it out
> cleanly.
> 2) It is designed as a development "inspector" style tool, and so doesn't
> perform sufficient validation of input to be used in an end-user
application
> (IMHO).
> 3) The presentation of information also has a development flavour in some
> cases

Blair,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on this.

It would be nice if there was a way to decouple the PAI from the rest of the
development environment.  I find it to be a very clean, efficient and
flexible way of presenting and obtaining settings-like data (e.g.,
preferences) with absolutely zero UI development work.   It sounds, though,
like it would be best if I looked for an alternative.

Regards,

Chris