Incomplete Seaside instruction on squeak.org?

Incomplete Seaside instruction on squeak.org?

lostgweilo
Hello all,

I need help to get Seaside up and running on Squeak.
I have Squeak running (Squeak5.0, latest update: #15113, Image format 6521 (32 bit))

I went to http://www.seaside.st/ and clicked "Squeak Smalltalk" in the right column.
This sent me me to http://squeak.org/projects/#seaside
I clicked on "Quick Install" which opens a window with the following snippet:
  Installer squeaksource
      project: 'MetacelloRepository';
      install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3'.
  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) load.

I evaluated that, and it runs without error, but I don't know what to do next.
How do I start Seaside? Nothing is getting served on localhost, and I don't know how to specify the adapter and the port or start any server.
I tried to follow instructions from multiple different tutorials and they all want me to bring up a kind of Seaside control panel UI that appears to be Pharo specific and did not get loaded on Squeak (I can't find it in any menu).
Or else, they refer to Kom server and Adapter classes that did not get loaded either, and I don't know where to get them from.

I tried to load a Kom server package separately, and that did not seem to help, I still don't have any subclass of WAServerAdaptor loaded. I have been poking around for a few days now and I am getting nowhere.

I hope someone can help me.
Lostgweilo

Re: Incomplete Seaside instruction on squeak.org?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Lostgweilo,

There is a bug that prevents the most recent stable version of Seaside from loading into Squeak 5.  I'll fix it later today when I have more time.  The command you should be using to load it into Squeak is

(Installer repository: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main')
  install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3'.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load: 'OneClick'

I'll try to get that command put in a place of prominence once the bug is fixed.

Thanks for being patient and pointing out that things are a bit confusing.

Paul

lostgweilo wrote

Lostgweilo

Re: Incomplete Seaside instruction on squeak.org?

lostgweilo
Thanks for the help and advice.

I tried to evaluate the code you shared and indeed something doesn't work right.
A debugger pops up while "Fetching 3.1.4.1 of ConfigurationsOfSeaside3", about 45% in, because of "Error: Name not found: OB- Standard".

I am actually trying to run Magma and Seaside in the same image. Magma works beautifully, and I kind of hoped Seaside would be a breeze, but... :-) Oh well.
I will wait to hear if anyone can get it to work and share how. Thanks again.

PS: Here is the transcript (up to when the error happens), I guess that part worked OK:

 found ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.268.mcz...

ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>copyMczFromSmalltalkhubToFileTree: (Gofer is Undeclared)
ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>copyMczFromSmalltalkhubToFileTree: (Gofer is Undeclared)
ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>scriptToCopyMczs (Gofer is Undeclared)
ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>scriptToCopyMczs (Gofer is Undeclared) loaded

Fetched -> ConfigurationOfGofer-dkh.45 --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache --- http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Loaded -> ConfigurationOfGofer-dkh.45 --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache --- http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Project: Gofer Core 1.0.5.1
...RETRY
Fetched -> Gofer-Core.squeak-dkh.135 --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache --- http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
...RETRY->Metacello-Core-dkh.494
...RETRY->Metacello-Core-dkh.494
Fetched -> Metacello-Core-dkh.494 --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache --- http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Fetched -> Metacello-Platform.squeak-dkh.17 --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache --- http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello
Loaded -> Gofer-Core.squeak-dkh.135 --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache --- cache
Loaded -> Metacello-Core-dkh.494 --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache --- cache
MetacelloSqueakPlatform>>downloadFile:to: (OSProcess is Undeclared)
MetacelloSqueakPlatform>>downloadFile:to: (OSProcess is Undeclared)
MetacelloSqueakPlatform>>extractRepositoryFrom:to: (OSProcess is Undeclared)
Loaded -> Metacello-Platform.squeak-dkh.17 --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache --- cache
...finished 1.0-beta.31.1.8
Project: Gofer Core 1.0.5.1
...finished 1.0-beta.31.1.8
Fetched -> ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser-pad.187 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache
Loaded -> ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser-pad.187 --- http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository --- /home/lostgweilo/ignore/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/package-cache

Re: Incomplete Seaside instruction on squeak.org?

Tobias Pape
Hi
On 22.08.2015, at 20:11, lostgweilo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the help and advice.
>
> I tried to evaluate the code you shared and indeed something doesn't work
> right.
> A debugger pops up while "Fetching 3.1.4.1 of ConfigurationsOfSeaside3",
> about 45% in, because of "Error: Name not found: OB- Standard".
>
> I am actually trying to run Magma and Seaside in the same image. Magma works
> beautifully, and I kind of hoped Seaside would be a breeze, but... :-) Oh
> well.
> I will wait to hear if anyone can get it to work and share how. Thanks
> again.
>
> PS: Here is the transcript (up to when the error happens), I guess that part
> worked OK:
>
> found ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.268.mcz...
>
> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>copyMczFromSmalltalkhubToFileTree: (Gofer is
> Undeclared)
> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>copyMczFromSmalltalkhubToFileTree: (Gofer is
> Undeclared)
> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>scriptToCopyMczs (Gofer is Undeclared)
> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>scriptToCopyMczs (Gofer is Undeclared) loaded

Thanks.
Omnibrowser's Configuration is not yet fixed for Squeak5.
Once I get around to do that, it should work.

Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime, you may want to try the Squeak4.4 Seaside 3.0.8 All-in-one
package:

        http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/seaside/Seaside-3.0.8-AllInOne.zip

Best regards
        -Tobias_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list

Re: Incomplete Seaside instruction on squeak.org?

Chris Muller-3
Is there any way to load Seaside without OmniBrowser?  It's just for
that one configuration panel right?  If I'm willing to forego that one
configuration panel, could I leave OB out of my Seaside image?

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> On 22.08.2015, at 20:11, lostgweilo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the help and advice.
>>
>> I tried to evaluate the code you shared and indeed something doesn't work
>> right.
>> A debugger pops up while "Fetching 3.1.4.1 of ConfigurationsOfSeaside3",
>> about 45% in, because of "Error: Name not found: OB- Standard".
>>
>> I am actually trying to run Magma and Seaside in the same image. Magma works
>> beautifully, and I kind of hoped Seaside would be a breeze, but... :-) Oh
>> well.
>> I will wait to hear if anyone can get it to work and share how. Thanks
>> again.
>>
>> PS: Here is the transcript (up to when the error happens), I guess that part
>> worked OK:
>>
>> found ConfigurationOfSeaside3-JohanBrichau.268.mcz...
>>
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>copyMczFromSmalltalkhubToFileTree: (Gofer is
>> Undeclared)
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>copyMczFromSmalltalkhubToFileTree: (Gofer is
>> Undeclared)
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>scriptToCopyMczs (Gofer is Undeclared)
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside3 class>>scriptToCopyMczs (Gofer is Undeclared) loaded

> Thanks.
> Omnibrowser's Configuration is not yet fixed for Squeak5.
> Once I get around to do that, it should work.
>
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> In the meantime, you may want to try the Squeak4.4 Seaside 3.0.8 All-in-one
> package:
>
>         http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/seaside/Seaside-3.0.8-AllInOne.zip
>
> Best regards
>         -Tobias_______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list

Re: Incomplete Seaside instruction on squeak.org?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 26-08-15 17:41, Chris Muller wrote:
> Is there any way to load Seaside without OmniBrowser?  It's just for
> that one configuration panel right?  If I'm willing to forego that one
> configuration panel, could I leave OB out of my Seaside image?

Yes, that's right. It is a much more complex configuration panel than
you might think at first sight, though.

Stephan

On 26.08.2015, at 17:56, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26-08-15 17:41, Chris Muller wrote:
>> Is there any way to load Seaside without OmniBrowser?  It's just for
>> that one configuration panel right?  If I'm willing to forego that one
>> configuration panel, could I leave OB out of my Seaside image?
>
> Yes, that's right. It is a much more complex configuration panel than
> you might think at first sight, though.

Stephan is right.

Also, I have a ToolBuilder-based Control panel ready
that I'll integrate and release after my vacation.

Best regards
        -Tobias