Info about OMeta/2

jsarkela
Hi,

I’ve been experimenting with OMeta/2. It’s a lot of fun, but there is a reference to the undefined method OMeta2Compiler>>from:class:context:notifying. I implemented this as an empty method and things appear to be working. Could anyone enlighten me as to the intention of this message and why the reference to it exists in the code base?

John Sarkela

Re: Info about OMeta/2

Edgar De Cleene
I suggest you look in Cuis list archives
http://cuis-smalltalk.org/mailman/listinfo/cuis-dev_cuis-smalltalk.org

Look all Phil say and do.
By the way, what Squeak version use you ?
Must made time for re take Ometa, could share any are you doing ?

Edgar
@morplenauta

> On May 16, 2017, at 09:33, JOHN SARKELA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’ve been experimenting with OMeta/2. It’s a lot of fun, but there is a reference to the undefined method OMeta2Compiler>>from:class:context:notifying. I implemented this as an empty method and things appear to be working. Could anyone enlighten me as to the intention of this message and why the reference to it exists in the code base?
>
> John Sarkela

Re: Info about OMeta/2

jsarkela-2
I like Cuis very much. I’ll check that out.
At the moment, I am using Squeak 5.1 and evaluating OMeta for use in my Principles of Programming Languages class. Nothing of particular interest to share yet.

John

> On May 16, 2017, at 8:42 AM, Edgar De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I suggest you look in Cuis list archives
> http://cuis-smalltalk.org/mailman/listinfo/cuis-dev_cuis-smalltalk.org
>
> Look all Phil say and do.
> By the way, what Squeak version use you ?
> Must made time for re take Ometa, could share any are you doing ?
>
> Edgar
> @morplenauta
>
>> On May 16, 2017, at 09:33, JOHN SARKELA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’ve been experimenting with OMeta/2. It’s a lot of fun, but there is a reference to the undefined method OMeta2Compiler>>from:class:context:notifying. I implemented this as an empty method and things appear to be working. Could anyone enlighten me as to the intention of this message and why the reference to it exists in the code base?
>>
>> John Sarkela

Re: Info about OMeta/2

Bert Freudenberg
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 2:33 PM, JOHN SARKELA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I’ve been experimenting with OMeta/2. It’s a lot of fun, but there is a reference to the undefined method OMeta2Compiler>>from:class:context:notifying. I implemented this as an empty method and things appear to be working. Could anyone enlighten me as to the intention of this message and why the reference to it exists in the code base?

​That message used to be implemented in Compiler and got replaced when we factored out the state into CompilationCue as part of the introduction of Environments.​ It's now from:class:notifying:.

​I just tried putting it back as

Compiler>>from: textOrStream class: aClass context: aContext notifying: aRequestor
"Used by e.g. OMeta2Compiler"
self
setCue: (CompilationCue
source: textOrStream
context: aContext
class: aClass
requestor: aRequestor)
​which works but there are more errors (MNU: OMeta2Compiler>>parseCue:noPattern:ifFail:​) and I don't have time to fix that one ... I guess we need to update the OMeta package.

- Bert -

Re: Info about OMeta/2

Patrick R.
Hi John,

regarding defining new languages in the Smalltalk image, you might also be interested in Ohm/S and Gramada. Ohm/S is the Squeak/Smalltalk implementation of the successor of OMeta/2, which is called Ohm. It is somewhat different than OMeta as it separates a language definition into a syntax definition (a grammar) and several semantics defined in relation to the grammar rules.

You can get Ohm/S at: https://github.com/hpi-swa/Ohm-S

Additionally, I have developed a development environment for Ohm language definitions called Gramada. It includes tooling to see live results of parses on examples and editors with syntax highlighting and tools to navigate between rules via senders and implementors Further, it includes a parsing debugger and SUnit extensions for grammars. You can see a demo here: https://vimeo.com/180190846

A demo version of the environment can be downloaded here: https://patrickrein.de/gramadaDemo/gramadaDemo.zip .

I am also currently working on creating a stable release which will be linked from https://github.com/HPI-SWA-Lab/Gramada.

Bests
Patrick

On May 21, 2017, at 15:25, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

A demo version of the environment can be downloaded here: https://patrickrein.de/gramadaDemo/gramadaDemo.zip .

ERROR 404

Edgar
@morplenauta

Re: Info about OMeta/2

Patrick R.
Thanks. That was the old URL.

For now it resides at: https://www.patrickrein.de/gramada/gramadaDemo.zip

Bests
Patrick

Re: Info about OMeta/2

jsarkela
Many thanks, I will look into this.

Mit besten Grüßen
John

> On May 22, 2017, at 6:29 AM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks. That was the old URL.
>
> For now it resides at: https://www.patrickrein.de/gramada/gramadaDemo.zip
>
> Bests
> Patrick

Re: Info about OMeta/2

Edgar De Cleene
On 5/22/17, 07:29, "Rein, Patrick" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks. That was the old URL.

For now it resides
> at: https://www.patrickrein.de/gramada/gramadaDemo.zip

Bests
Patrick
Very thanks.
Nice work, have a whole world to explore