Information on Spec development

CyrilFerlicot
Hello everyone!

This is an important update about the development of Spec.

As you might have heard, we are working on Spec to release a new
version in Pharo 8. One goal is to unify all Pharo interfaces behind
one GUI framework and a second goal is to allow multiple back-ends
(Morphic but also GTK, Bloc, ...). To reach those goals we have been
updating the current version of Spec. We see now, however, that
updating Spec directly creates troubles with migration. For example,
we currently have a lot of deprecation warnings in Iceberg, because we
can't update it without breaking Pharo 7 compatibility.

After some discussions between the engineers working on Spec, here is
our plan to improve the situation: We will copy all classes of Spec
and rename them with the "Sp" prefix. (We will also ensure that every
class of Spec started with the same prefix for consistency). For
extensions methods, we will rename them to have a version different
from Spec 1 (The spec from Pharo 7). Once done we will integrate this
new version in Pharo 8. From there we will wait some weeks to let
users who started to use the updated Spec change their projects to use
this new Spec2. Finally, we will revert all changes that happened on
Spec 1 and deprecate the packages. We hope this will make things
easier for everyone.

Have a nice day!

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Information on Spec development

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks for sharing this.
You guys are doing an amazing job. I do not mind having a couple of warning times to time.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 5:29 PM Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> This is an important update about the development of Spec.
>
> As you might have heard, we are working on Spec to release a new
> version in Pharo 8. One goal is to unify all Pharo interfaces behind
> one GUI framework and a second goal is to allow multiple back-ends
> (Morphic but also GTK, Bloc, ...). To reach those goals we have been
> updating the current version of Spec. We see now, however, that
> updating Spec directly creates troubles with migration. For example,
> we currently have a lot of deprecation warnings in Iceberg, because we
> can't update it without breaking Pharo 7 compatibility.
>
> After some discussions between the engineers working on Spec, here is
> our plan to improve the situation: We will copy all classes of Spec
> and rename them with the "Sp" prefix. (We will also ensure that every
> class of Spec started with the same prefix for consistency). For
> extensions methods, we will rename them to have a version different
> from Spec 1 (The spec from Pharo 7). Once done we will integrate this
> new version in Pharo 8. From there we will wait some weeks to let
> users who started to use the updated Spec change their projects to use
> this new Spec2. Finally, we will revert all changes that happened on
> Spec 1 and deprecate the packages. We hope this will make things
> easier for everyone.
>
> Have a nice day!

Hi,

The revert of changes of Spec 1 is now done in Pharo 8.

Spec 1 is now in the same state than in Pharo 7 and Spec2 can live next to it.
All classes of Spec2 start with the Sp or TSp prefix.

Have a nice day.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Information on Spec development

Torsten Bergmann
Cyril Ferlicot wrote:
>The revert of changes of Spec 1 is now done in Pharo 8.

Nice - lots of work. Thanks!!!

> All classes of Spec2 start with the Sp or TSp prefix.

Maybe I'm wrong but:

If "Sp" is the prefix for Spec2 and trait names start with "T" we should
used SpT... for traits, no?

Otherwise it would not be a prefix ...

Thanks
T.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 1:35 PM Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cyril Ferlicot wrote:
> >The revert of changes of Spec 1 is now done in Pharo 8.
>
> Nice - lots of work. Thanks!!!
>
> > All classes of Spec2 start with the Sp or TSp prefix.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong but:
>
> If "Sp" is the prefix for Spec2 and trait names start with "T" we should
> used SpT... for traits, no?

Until now, the T is before the prefix. (For example TIceXXX for
Iceberg). So I followed what was already done.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr