classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Initial PetitC parser

melkyades
Hi,
     I took some time to start developing a C parser with PetitParser. I used the slides of the smalltalk school, they were pretty useful, and after some hours I have a very basic tokens scanner. The idea of this work is to be able to feed the parser with C headers and automagically get the C bindings done in smalltalk.

Now I have to actually start doing something with the scanned code. How should I do that, all in the same class? What if I want to generate bindings for different kinds of FFIs? Other question, how should I handle preprocessing? (now there isn't any kind of preprocessing)

You can see the code, download it and commit improvements to the repo at www.squeaksource.com/Bindings

Anybody who is interested is welcomed to help in the development!

Regards,
          Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Initial PetitC parser

melkyades
by the way, the grammar is based on

and

I'd be very grateful if you contribute to cover the full extent of it!

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
     I took some time to start developing a C parser with PetitParser. I used the slides of the smalltalk school, they were pretty useful, and after some hours I have a very basic tokens scanner. The idea of this work is to be able to feed the parser with C headers and automagically get the C bindings done in smalltalk.

Now I have to actually start doing something with the scanned code. How should I do that, all in the same class? What if I want to generate bindings for different kinds of FFIs? Other question, how should I handle preprocessing? (now there isn't any kind of preprocessing)

You can see the code, download it and commit improvements to the repo at www.squeaksource.com/Bindings

Regards,
          Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Reply | Threaded
|

Ricardo Moran
In reply to this post by melkyades

Hi,

Hi Javier,

That's a great project and I'm highly interested in it. I'm not experienced in PetitParser so I won't be a lot of help, but I'll give it a try.

Maybe you already thought of this but what if you make your parser build some simple C AST and then you make specific visitors for each kind of FFI?

Cheers
Richo

Regards,
          Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba
Hi Javier,

On 8 Apr 2011, at 05:37, Javier Pimás wrote:

> Hi,
>      I took some time to start developing a C parser with PetitParser. I used the slides of the smalltalk school, they were pretty useful, and after some hours I have a very basic tokens scanner. The idea of this work is to be able to feed the parser with C headers and automagically get the C bindings done in smalltalk.

Nice. I took a quick look. If you want to scale, please write tests (one small example per test). Grammars become complex and if you do not have close to 100% coverage, you will get stuck.

Cheers,
Doru

> Now I have to actually start doing something with the scanned code. How should I do that, all in the same class? What if I want to generate bindings for different kinds of FFIs? Other question, how should I handle preprocessing? (now there isn't any kind of preprocessing)
>
> You can see the code, download it and commit improvements to the repo at www.squeaksource.com/Bindings
>
> Anybody who is interested is welcomed to help in the development!
>
> Regards,
>           Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
What is tricky with analyzing C are macros and preprocessors directive.
srcML does a satisfactory job. But indeed, having a solution based on PetitParser is indeed promising.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 7 Apr 2011, at 23:53, Javier Pimás wrote:

> by the way, the grammar is based on
>
> http://www.quut.com/c/ANSI-C-grammar-l-1998.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.quut.com/c/ANSI-C-grammar-y.html
>
> I'd be very grateful if you contribute to cover the full extent of it!
>
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>      I took some time to start developing a C parser with PetitParser. I used the slides of the smalltalk school, they were pretty useful, and after some hours I have a very basic tokens scanner. The idea of this work is to be able to feed the parser with C headers and automagically get the C bindings done in smalltalk.
>
> Now I have to actually start doing something with the scanned code. How should I do that, all in the same class? What if I want to generate bindings for different kinds of FFIs? Other question, how should I handle preprocessing? (now there isn't any kind of preprocessing)
>
> You can see the code, download it and commit improvements to the repo at www.squeaksource.com/Bindings
>
>
> Regards,
>           Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>
>
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Reply | Threaded
|

melkyades
In reply to this post by Ricardo Moran

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Hi Javier,

That's a great project and I'm highly interested in it. I'm not experienced in PetitParser so I won't be a lot of help, but I'll give it a try.

excelent

Maybe you already thought of this but what if you make your parser build some simple C AST and then you make specific visitors for each kind of FFI?

I didn't think of it because I never did a parser before and have no experience with PP. Is it the clean way to do it? How is that implented? maybe have for each expression in the bnf a class that represents it, and make PP create the instances?

Cheers
Richo

Regards,
          Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Reply | Threaded
|

melkyades
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Javier,

> Hi,

Nice. I took a quick look. If you want to scale, please write tests (one small example per test). Grammars become complex and if you do not have close to 100% coverage, you will get stuck.

OK, I'll try. One question regarding PP: I started coding by looking at PPArithmeticParser, and noticed that for each sub-grammar you have a method and an instance named the same way, is that a requirement? If I don't add the instances this sub-grammars are not shown in the PPBrowser.

Regards,
            Javier.

Cheers,
Doru

>
>
>
> Regards,
>           Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--
www.tudorgirba.com

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Reply | Threaded
|

melkyades
In reply to this post by abergel

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
srcML does a satisfactory job. But indeed, having a solution based on PetitParser is indeed promising.

Yes, and I don't know what to do, and would like to know if you or someone else have any idea of how to solve it. I will think some approach, but if you have some idea to share it would be better so I go directly to a good solution. I'm thinking that to feed the parser I'll have to preprocess the string with another parser, and make a string to string conversion by having a set of defines and paths so that #includes and #ifdefs work. But probably I'll need a cache because the generated string will be huge.

What do you think?

Regards,
            Javier. 

Cheers,
Alexandre

>
>
> and
>
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
>
>
>
> Regards,
>           Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>
>
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
A good source of ideas: http://www.sdml.info/projects/srcml/

Alexandre

On 8 Apr 2011, at 12:57, Javier Pimás wrote:

>
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is tricky with analyzing C are macros and preprocessors directive.
> srcML does a satisfactory job. But indeed, having a solution based on PetitParser is indeed promising.
>  
> Yes, and I don't know what to do, and would like to know if you or someone else have any idea of how to solve it. I will think some approach, but if you have some idea to share it would be better so I go directly to a good solution. I'm thinking that to feed the parser I'll have to preprocess the string with another parser, and make a string to string conversion by having a set of defines and paths so that #includes and #ifdefs work. But probably I'll need a cache because the generated string will be huge.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
>             Javier.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>
>
> On 7 Apr 2011, at 23:53, Javier Pimás wrote:
>
> > by the way, the grammar is based on
> >
> > http://www.quut.com/c/ANSI-C-grammar-l-1998.html
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://www.quut.com/c/ANSI-C-grammar-y.html
> >
> > I'd be very grateful if you contribute to cover the full extent of it!
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >      I took some time to start developing a C parser with PetitParser. I used the slides of the smalltalk school, they were pretty useful, and after some hours I have a very basic tokens scanner. The idea of this work is to be able to feed the parser with C headers and automagically get the C bindings done in smalltalk.
> >
> > Now I have to actually start doing something with the scanned code. How should I do that, all in the same class? What if I want to generate bindings for different kinds of FFIs? Other question, how should I handle preprocessing? (now there isn't any kind of preprocessing)
> >
> > You can see the code, download it and commit improvements to the repo at www.squeaksource.com/Bindings
> >
> > Anybody who is interested is welcomed to help in the development!
> >
> > Regards,
> >           Javier.
> >
> > --
> > Javier Pimás
> > Ciudad de Buenos Aires
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Javier Pimás
>
> --
> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Ricardo Moran

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Hi Javier,

excelent

I didn't think of it because I never did a parser before and have no experience with PP. Is it the clean way to do it? How is that implented? maybe have for each expression in the bnf a class that represents it, and make PP create the instances?

Well, I have no experience with parsers, either. I just played with PP a little (I learned a lot by looking at PetitSmalltalk), and I'm currently using the visitor pattern to translate smalltalk to NXC. You know what they said: "if you have a hammer, then everything looks like a nail" so I'm probably biased towards this pattern :)

I don't know if this is the clean way to do it, but I think it's clean enough for me :)

I would implement it just as you said: a class for each expression, and make PP create the instances.

Cheers
Richo

Regards,
          Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Reply | Threaded
|

Ricardo Moran

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Javier,

> Hi,

OK, I'll try. One question regarding PP: I started coding by looking at PPArithmeticParser, and noticed that for each sub-grammar you have a method and an instance named the same way, is that a requirement? If I don't add the instances this sub-grammars are not shown in the PPBrowser.

Yes, I think it is a requirement. Otherwise, the parsers can't be initialized. Look at: PPCompositeParser>>#initializeStartingAt:

Regards,
            Javier.

Cheers,
Doru

>
>
>
> Regards,
>           Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--
www.tudorgirba.com

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Reply | Threaded
|

Ricardo Moran

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, and I don't know what to do, and would like to know if you or someone else have any idea of how to solve it. I will think some approach, but if you have some idea to share it would be better so I go directly to a good solution. I'm thinking that to feed the parser I'll have to preprocess the string with another parser, and make a string to string conversion by having a set of defines and paths so that #includes and #ifdefs work. But probably I'll need a cache because the generated string will be huge.

What do you think?

Can't macros and preprocessor directives be represented as just another nodes in the AST?

Regards,
            Javier. 

Cheers,
Alexandre

>
>
> and
>
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
>
>
>
> Regards,
>           Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>
>
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Reply | Threaded
|

melkyades
maybe, tomorrow I'll see if I have some free time to continue and see how to handle it.

Regards,
         Javier.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:

What do you think?

Can't macros and preprocessor directives be represented as just another nodes in the AST?

Regards,
            Javier. 

Cheers,
Alexandre

>
>
> and
>
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
>
>
>
> Regards,
>           Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>
>
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
In reply to this post by Ricardo Moran
> Can't macros and preprocessor directives be represented as just another nodes in the AST?

In some cases yes, in some other no. The preprocessor allows you to completely change the syntax of C. This makes it very hard to parse. Consider the following valid C program:

#define LEFTPARENT (
#define RIGHTPARENT )

int main LEFTPARENT void RIGHTPARENT {
  return 0;
}

Cheers,
Alexandre

>
>
>
> >
> >
> > and
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi,
> >      I took some time to start developing a C parser with PetitParser. I used the slides of the smalltalk school, they were pretty useful, and after some hours I have a very basic tokens scanner. The idea of this work is to be able to feed the parser with C headers and automagically get the C bindings done in smalltalk.
> >
> > Now I have to actually start doing something with the scanned code. How should I do that, all in the same class? What if I want to generate bindings for different kinds of FFIs? Other question, how should I handle preprocessing? (now there isn't any kind of preprocessing)
> >
> > You can see the code, download it and commit improvements to the repo at www.squeaksource.com/Bindings
> >
> >
> > Regards,
> >           Javier.
> >
> > --
> > Javier Pimás
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Javier Pimás
>
> --
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Ricardo Moran

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can't macros and preprocessor directives be represented as just another nodes in the AST?

In some cases yes, in some other no. The preprocessor allows you to completely change the syntax of C. This makes it very hard to parse. Consider the following valid C program:

#define LEFTPARENT (
#define RIGHTPARENT )

int main LEFTPARENT void RIGHTPARENT {
 return 0;
}

Ok, I see the problem now...

Cheers,
Alexandre

>
>
>
> >
> >
> > and
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Regards,
> >           Javier.
> >
> > --
> > Javier Pimás
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Javier Pimás
>
> --
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by abergel
in that case you have also cil in oCaml used by Frama-C.

But I do not think that this is necessary to read all the ressources of earth.

Javier contact nick because he started (I guess to implement a parser for C using PP).

Stef
On Apr 8, 2011, at 8:25 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> A good source of ideas: http://www.sdml.info/projects/srcml/
>
> Alexandre
>
>
> On 8 Apr 2011, at 12:57, Javier Pimás wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What is tricky with analyzing C are macros and preprocessors directive.
>> srcML does a satisfactory job. But indeed, having a solution based on PetitParser is indeed promising.
>>
>> Yes, and I don't know what to do, and would like to know if you or someone else have any idea of how to solve it. I will think some approach, but if you have some idea to share it would be better so I go directly to a good solution. I'm thinking that to feed the parser I'll have to preprocess the string with another parser, and make a string to string conversion by having a set of defines and paths so that #includes and #ifdefs work. But probably I'll need a cache because the generated string will be huge.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Regards,
>>            Javier.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>
>>
>> On 7 Apr 2011, at 23:53, Javier Pimás wrote:
>>
>>> by the way, the grammar is based on
>>>
>>> http://www.quut.com/c/ANSI-C-grammar-l-1998.html
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> http://www.quut.com/c/ANSI-C-grammar-y.html
>>>
>>> I'd be very grateful if you contribute to cover the full extent of it!
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>     I took some time to start developing a C parser with PetitParser. I used the slides of the smalltalk school, they were pretty useful, and after some hours I have a very basic tokens scanner. The idea of this work is to be able to feed the parser with C headers and automagically get the C bindings done in smalltalk.
>>>
>>> Now I have to actually start doing something with the scanned code. How should I do that, all in the same class? What if I want to generate bindings for different kinds of FFIs? Other question, how should I handle preprocessing? (now there isn't any kind of preprocessing)
>>>
>>> You can see the code, download it and commit improvements to the repo at www.squeaksource.com/Bindings
>>>
>>> Anybody who is interested is welcomed to help in the development!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>          Javier.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Javier Pimás
>>> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Javier Pimás
>>
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Javier Pimás
>> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>
> --
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

melkyades
Good! Then we can do this in half the time with half the effort each (if it's not already done).

Regards,
         Javier.

2011/4/9 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
in that case you have also cil in oCaml used by Frama-C.

But I do not think that this is necessary to read all the ressources of earth.

Javier contact nick because he started (I guess to implement a parser for C using PP).

Stef
On Apr 8, 2011, at 8:25 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> A good source of ideas: http://www.sdml.info/projects/srcml/
>
> Alexandre
>
>
> On 8 Apr 2011, at 12:57, Javier Pimás wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What is tricky with analyzing C are macros and preprocessors directive.
>> srcML does a satisfactory job. But indeed, having a solution based on PetitParser is indeed promising.
>>
>> Yes, and I don't know what to do, and would like to know if you or someone else have any idea of how to solve it. I will think some approach, but if you have some idea to share it would be better so I go directly to a good solution. I'm thinking that to feed the parser I'll have to preprocess the string with another parser, and make a string to string conversion by having a set of defines and paths so that #includes and #ifdefs work. But probably I'll need a cache because the generated string will be huge.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Regards,
>>            Javier.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>
>>
>> On 7 Apr 2011, at 23:53, Javier Pimás wrote:
>>
>>> by the way, the grammar is based on
>>>
>>> http://www.quut.com/c/ANSI-C-grammar-l-1998.html
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> http://www.quut.com/c/ANSI-C-grammar-y.html
>>>
>>> I'd be very grateful if you contribute to cover the full extent of it!
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>     I took some time to start developing a C parser with PetitParser. I used the slides of the smalltalk school, they were pretty useful, and after some hours I have a very basic tokens scanner. The idea of this work is to be able to feed the parser with C headers and automagically get the C bindings done in smalltalk.
>>>
>>> Now I have to actually start doing something with the scanned code. How should I do that, all in the same class? What if I want to generate bindings for different kinds of FFIs? Other question, how should I handle preprocessing? (now there isn't any kind of preprocessing)
>>>
>>> You can see the code, download it and commit improvements to the repo at www.squeaksource.com/Bindings
>>>
>>> Anybody who is interested is welcomed to help in the development!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>          Javier.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Javier Pimás
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Javier Pimás
>>
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Javier Pimás
>> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>
> --
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires