Inquiry: Widgets

Lukas Renggli-2
Hi,

I would like to ask a question to the Pier users before doing a
change to the Pier widgets: Currently every widget has its own
hardcoded <div class="[custom_classes]" id="[custom_id]"> around
itself and it also emits a <h1>. I am currently building some new
sites and these <div> and <h1> tags rather hurt than help.

I wonder if we shouldn't get rid of those <div> and <h1> altogether?
I guess this is sort of a relict from SmallWiki where there were no
environments. Nowadays designers can add <div> (or other tags) around
a widget within the environment if necessary. There is no need to
write Smalltalk for that anymore.

Does that make sense?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Inquiry: Widgets

Brad Fuller
Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask a question to the Pier users before doing a
> change to the Pier widgets: Currently every widget has its own
> hardcoded <div class="[custom_classes]" id="[custom_id]"> around
> itself and it also emits a <h1>. I am currently building some new
> sites and these <div> and <h1> tags rather hurt than help.
>
> I wonder if we shouldn't get rid of those <div> and <h1> altogether?
> I guess this is sort of a relict from SmallWiki where there were no
> environments. Nowadays designers can add <div> (or other tags) around
> a widget within the environment if necessary. There is no need to
> write Smalltalk for that anymore.
>
> Does that make sense?

It does. And, if there was some "how to" to use the new method, that
would be even cooler!

brad

--
brad fuller
 http://www.Sonaural.com/

Re: Inquiry: Widgets

keith1y

> I wonder if we shouldn't get rid of those <div> and <h1> altogether?
> I guess this is sort of a relict from SmallWiki where there were no
> environments. Nowadays designers can add <div> (or other tags) around
> a widget within the environment if necessary. There is no need to
> write Smalltalk for that anymore.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Lukas
It makes sense, but I am not 100% sure it is a good idea.

I am assuming that, where the environment once contained +header+, the
environment would now be able to contain

so that the environment designer takes responsibility for the tags.
---

I am aiming to migrate pier to use a similar UI to that of TiddlyWiki.
(see tiddlywiki.com)

In tiddly wiki there is a fair bit of javascript programmatic control of
things, making things appear and disappear, with a variety of
animations. If a user had embedded a widget via +mywidget+ Would this
change mean loosing the handle necessary to hide/show widgets under
javascript control of the style.

Another feature of my tiddlywiki derivative is switching styles sheets
on the fly, via javascript. I am concerned that I may loose the handles
necessary to do this, however I can of course put them back in in the
environment as you stated.

I am not saying don't do it I am just trying to get my head around the
issues.

cheers

Keith

RE: Inquiry: Widgets

J J-6
I use it in my widgets, and if it was gone I would have to make a new page
for every widget to put the div tag back in.  But if it was optional (e.g.
#style in seaside) I wouldn't care, or you could even get rid of it in the
base class and add a new derived class that has it and I will switch my
classes to inherit there.  Actually I guess I could add the base class to my
own image if you just want to get rid of it.