Install GemStone in a Testing Environment

Install GemStone in a Testing Environment

BrunoBB
Hi,

The GS_Dev_Kit is the Development Environment.

Which is the bset way to install GemStone without the git support ? (only the GS server)

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Install GemStone in a Testing Environment

GLASS mailing list
You can download the GemStone product from
https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com by itself.

Or are you asking how to install GsDevKit_home with doing a `git clone`?
If so https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/archive/master.zip
downloads the basic release scripts etc. without needing git, then
depending upon what you are actually doing you might need to download a
couple of the other projects as well ...

Dale

On 6/17/16 12:07 PM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The GS_Dev_Kit is the Development Environment.
>
> Which is the bset way to install GemStone without the git support ? (only
> the GS server)
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

Re: Install GemStone in a Testing Environment

BrunoBB
Dale,

The product from https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com  does have Metacello installed ?

I want to create a clean environment where the client to be used is Topaz (may be Jade) to perform the installation of my packages (with Metacello scripts).

Regards,
Bruno

PS:
This is very different from my Development environment that have it all (github, tode, etc).

On 6/17/16 12:35 PM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
> Dale,
>
> The product from https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com  does have Metacello
> installed ?
No ...

> I want to create a clean environment where the client to be used is Topaz
> (may be Jade) to perform the installation of my packages (with Metacello
> scripts).
I don't quite know what "clean environment" means ...

> Regards,
> Bruno
>
> PS:
> This is very different from my Development environment that have it all
> (github, tode, etc).
Yes, and I am not really able to support "non-standard" development
environments ... virtually all of the functionality that is present in
GsDevKit_home needs to be supported ...

Now if you don't want to use tODE in your stone, that's possible and
relatively straightforward to do within the GsDevKit_home environment:

   createStone -g <stone-name>

creates a stone without tODE installed ... but then it also does not
have the correct version of Metacello and GLASS installed and for that
you need to run GsUpgrader yourself --- you will still be using the code
from GitHub, but you will have to manually deal with updates and the
like yourself and we are venturing into "unsupportable territory" ...

You can certainly take this path, but it makes it very difficult for me
to help you...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsUpgrader

Re: Install GemStone in a Testing Environment

GLASS mailing list

On 6/17/16 12:07 PM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The GS_Dev_Kit is the Development Environment.
>
> Which is the bset way to install GemStone without the git support ? (only
> the GS server)

Frankly the easiest way to do this is to use GsDEvKit_home.

Dale

On 6/17/16 1:26 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On 6/17/16 12:35 PM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
>> Dale,
>>
>> The product from https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com  does have
>> Metacello
>> installed ?
> No ...
>>
>> I want to create a clean environment where the client to be used is
>> Topaz
>> (may be Jade) to perform the installation of my packages (with Metacello
>> scripts).
> I don't quite know what "clean environment" means ...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bruno
>>
>> PS:
>> This is very different from my Development environment that have it all
>> (github, tode, etc).
> Yes, and I am not really able to support "non-standard" development
> environments ... virtually all of the functionality that is present in
> GsDevKit_home needs to be supported ...
>
> Now if you don't want to use tODE in your stone, that's possible and
> relatively straightforward to do within the GsDevKit_home environment:
>
>   createStone -g <stone-name>
>
> creates a stone without tODE installed ... but then it also does not
> have the correct version of Metacello and GLASS installed and for that
> you need to run GsUpgrader yourself --- you will still be using the
> code from GitHub, but you will have to manually deal with updates and
> the like yourself and we are venturing into "unsupportable territory" ...
>
> You can certainly take this path, but it makes it very difficult for
> me to help you...

You do realize that you can install tODE in the server and then use Jade
or GemTools or ??? as a client. If you at least install tODE in your
server, then at you will be able to use 90% of the supported scripts
(like updateGsDevKit and todeUpdate) and get the latest versions of the
GsDevKit/GLASS code downloaded (updateGsDevKit) and installed in your
stone (todeUpdate installs GLASS and Metacello, etc. if they have been
updated) and I can easily help you move forward.

You can manage your own code any way that you want to and use Jade or
GemTools or tODE or Pharo to do your development...

Dale

Re: Install GemStone in a Testing Environment

BrunoBB
Dale,

Ok, i think i have enough information.

The context of this question is:
I have to install GS on a VM that is NOT managed by me. This VM is behind "hundreds" of Firewall and so on...

The VM does not reach some site and ftps (which is a networking problem nothing to do with GS). As the networking problem is being solved i was trying to do a "off line installation". I though if i do not install tode then the installation will be more simple. Then connect via Topaz and execute the Metacello script to install my packages.

A more accurate question: is possible to perform the "download" on one machine and then copy the file to other machine to perform the actual installation there ? [some kind of offline installation]

Regards,
Bruno

On 6/17/16 1:51 PM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:

> Dale,
>
> Ok, i think i have enough information.
>
> The context of this question is:
> I have to install GS on a VM that is NOT managed by me. This VM is behind
> "hundreds" of Firewall and so on...
>
> The VM does not reach some site and ftps (which is a networking problem
> nothing to do with GS). As the networking problem is being solved i was
> trying to do a "off line installation". I though if i do not install tode
> then the installation will be more simple. Then connect via Topaz and
> execute the Metacello script to install my packages
>
> A more accurate question: is possible to perform the "download" on one
> machine and then copy the file to other machine to perform the actual
> installation there ? [some kind of offline installation]

possible ... yes, BUT ...

At the moment it isn't possible to bootstrap glass without hitting the
network and projects like Seaside still need to hit the network for some
things ... I've got an open bug on this issue[1], but it isn't as easy
as I had hoped ... For example, GsUpgrader can be used to upgrade stones
without having to hit the network (except for the first time), but I
have found that when this is done, I run into issues upgrading the stone
... so I've turned off this "feature."

Ultimately the real solution will be to get all projects managed by git.
When you have a local git clone the system can be repeatedly installed
without hitting the network ...

You could try creating a stone in GsDevKit_home on a machine with
network access, then shutdown the stone and netldi and then scp (or zip)
the entire directory structure (preserving symbolic links) to another
machine buried behind firewalls, but I would be concerned that there
might be some directory paths that end up being expanded and stored
somewhere ... with that said, I think that the paths could be found and
repaired but I just don't know how much work it would entail ... If you
could arrange for the $GS_HOME to be identical on both machines, I would
think that things would have a good chance of working ...

Of course you will still need to somehow get the machine setup with the
prerequisites for GemStone ... the 32 bit libraries and X packages don't
apply. Unzip, curl and a few of the other utilities aren't really needed
(if you are not hitting the network), but pam, glibc and ssl are still
needed for the base GemStone to function ...

If you could create vm in an networked environment then I would think
that you could move the whole vm behind your firewall and have a very
good chance of having everything work as expected ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/54