Install Problem on OS X 10.11

Dan Shafer
I'm running into a problem trying to install Amber on OS X 10.11. I hope someone can help.

I have been popping in and out of rabbit holes installing npm and node and brew for the past two days. I finally got to where I have correct (AFAICT) installs of both npm and brew. So I go into Terminal and I type "npm install amber". I get the following error:

npm WARN checkPermissions Missing write access to /Users/dan/node_modules

/Users/dan

└── amber@0.18.3

npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/Users/dan/package.json'

npm WARN dan No description

npm WARN dan No repository field.

npm WARN dan No README data

npm WARN dan No license field.

npm ERR! Darwin 15.5.0

npm ERR! argv "/usr/local/bin/node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "install" "amber"

npm ERR! node v6.10.0

npm ERR! npm  v3.10.10

npm ERR! path /Users/dan/node_modules

npm ERR! code EACCES

npm ERR! errno -13

npm ERR! syscall access

npm ERR! Error: EACCES: permission denied, access '/Users/dan/node_modules'

npm ERR!     at Error (native)

npm ERR!  { Error: EACCES: permission denied, access '/Users/dan/node_modules'

npm ERR!     at Error (native)

npm ERR!   errno: -13,

npm ERR!   code: 'EACCES',

npm ERR!   syscall: 'access',

npm ERR!   path: '/Users/dan/node_modules' }

npm ERR!

npm ERR! Please try running this command again as root/Administrator.

OK, so I switch to su and run the "npm install amber" command again. This time, I get the following error:

npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/Users/dan/package.json'

I am by now a bit bewildered. I'm fairly technical but i'm also retired and out of the loop for the past few years, so I may just be missing something really obvious.

I've never used brew but I tried, as superuser, "brew install amber" and got warned that brew doesn't run as su anymore because of security issues. So I log out of su and try the instruction again. This time I get the following errors:

Updating Homebrew...

Error: No available formula with the name "amber"

==> Searching for similarly named formulae...

Error: No similarly named formulae found.

==> Searching taps...

Error: No formulae found in taps.

I don't know how to proceed now. I've tried both npm and brew as su and admin and I get nowhere. I'm REALLY anxious to start exploring Amber (I'm a long-time Smalltalker, wrote a couple of books on it back in the day, still think it's the best language on the market...).

Somebody? Please?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Install Problem on OS X 10.11

Herby Vojčík
Dan Shafer wrote:
> I'm running into a problem trying to install Amber on OS X 10.11. I hope
> someone can help.
>
> I have been popping in and out of rabbit holes installing npm and node
> and brew for the past two days. I finally got to where I have correct
> (AFAICT) installs of both npm and brew. So I go into Terminal and I type
> "npm install amber". I get the following error:

No instructions I am aware of say you should run `npm install amber`.

Try to follow official README at https://lolg.it/amber/amber.

Herby

Re: Install Problem on OS X 10.11

Dzn Shafer
Herby,

Thanks for the tip. I did try using those instructions. Everything *seems* to run fine but when I type "amber init" and answer all of the project setup questions, I get an error:

Writing Gruntfile.js...ERROR
>> Error: Unable to write "/Users/dan/amber_projects/test2/Gruntfile.js" file (Error code: EACCES).
Fatal error: Unable to write "/Users/dan/amber_projects/test2/Gruntfile.js" file (Error code: EACCES).
grunt-init exec error:
3

It looks to me like permissions are set correctly on the directory "test2" -- at least as far as I can understand them. The directory permission are "drwxr-xr-x".

When I try to run the amber init command as su, I get the same error.

So I type the command amber init --force and I get the same error:

 As you can tell, I'm not very seasoned in the Terminal/shell world. I know my way around directors and chmod and other basics but that's about it. I only replied here out of courtesy to thank you for pointing me in what was obviously a much shorter path to success. I hardly expect you to support my stumbling around the CLI. But if you do have any suggestions, I'm open.

Meanwhile, I'm re-familiarizing myself with Smalltalk via the Pharo impementation but since my objective is to create web/mobile apps, I'm not sure it's where I want to stay if I can once get Amber working!

May Your Life Be Filled With Peace,

Dan

On March 10, 2017 6:23:26 PM GMT+01:00, Dan Shafer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Herby,
>
>Thanks for the tip. I did try using those instructions. Everything
>*seems*
>to run fine but when I type "amber init" and answer all of the project
>setup questions, I get an error:
>
>Writing Gruntfile.js...ERROR
>"/Users/dan/amber_projects/test2/Gruntfile.js"
>> file (Error code: EACCES).
>> Fatal error: Unable to write
>> "/Users/dan/amber_projects/test2/Gruntfile.js" file (Error code:
>EACCES).
>> grunt-init exec error:
>> 3
>

>It looks to me like permissions are set correctly on the directory
>"test2"
>-- at least as far as I can understand them. The directory permission
>are
>"drwxr-xr-x".

Indeed, looks like permissions issue. I have never seen it, though. May be problem with your node / npm setup, especially when su was involved there.

Try to clean it all reinstall again. :-/

>When I try to run the amber init command as su, I get the same error.
>
>So I type the command amber init --force and I get the same error:
>
>As you can tell, I'm not very seasoned in the Terminal/shell world. I
>know
>my way around directors and chmod and other basics but that's about it.
>only replied here out of courtesy to thank you for pointing me in what
>was
>obviously a much shorter path to success. I hardly expect you to
>support my
>stumbling around the CLI. But if you do have any suggestions, I'm open.
>
>Meanwhile, I'm re-familiarizing myself with Smalltalk via the Pharo
>impementation but since my objective is to create web/mobile apps, I'm
>not
>sure it's where I want to stay if I can once get Amber working!
>

>May Your Life Be Filled With Peace,
>
>Dan
>
>On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 2:44 AM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dan Shafer wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running into a problem trying to install Amber on OS X 10.11. I
>hope
>>> someone can help.
>>>
>>> I have been popping in and out of rabbit holes installing npm and
>node
>>> and brew for the past two days. I finally got to where I have
>correct
>>> (AFAICT) installs of both npm and brew. So I go into Terminal and I
>type
>>> "npm install amber". I get the following error:
>>>

>> No instructions I am aware of say you should run `npm install amber`.
>>
>> Try to follow official README at https://lolg.it/amber/amber.
>>
>> Herby

Re: Install Problem on OS X 10.11

Herby Vojčík
Btw, --force has no effect. You may have seen --force error message from grunt-init, which `amber init` uses internally; but that likely means you are running `amber init` from nonempty directory. It should only be run inside empty one.

Herby