Install emsrv on Windows 8 (not pro)

tstalzer
Hi @All

I would like to install EMSRV on a windows 8 machine (not pro)

Unfortunately, Windows 8 does not contain gpedit.msc, so the EMSRV superuser cannot be configered as to "act as part of the operating system" in the group policies.

Can this option be set by putting the required policy in the Windows registry? If yes, please give me a hint for the key.

Regards

Thomas

Re: Install emsrv on Windows 8 (not pro)

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Friday, November 1, 2013 11:02:10 AM UTC-7, tstalzer wrote:
I would like to install EMSRV on a windows 8 machine (not pro)
Unfortunately, Windows 8 does not contain gpedit.msc, so the EMSRV superuser cannot be configered as to "act as part of the operating system" in the group policies.

Refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784323%28v=ws.10%29.aspx. Look in your Start Menu for the item called "Local Security Policy" usually under "Administrative Tools".

Re: Install emsrv on Windows 8 (not pro)

SebastianHC
Hi Richard,

this is only available with a Windows 8 pro version.
Windows 8 Home is missing the group policy editor or service.

Sebastian

Am 01.11.2013 20:17, schrieb Richard Sargent:
On Friday, November 1, 2013 11:02:10 AM UTC-7, tstalzer wrote:
I would like to install EMSRV on a windows 8 machine (not pro)
Unfortunately, Windows 8 does not contain gpedit.msc, so the EMSRV superuser cannot be configered as to "act as part of the operating system" in the group policies.

Refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784323%28v=ws.10%29.aspx. Look in your Start Menu for the item called "Local Security Policy" usually under "Administrative Tools".

Re: Install emsrv on Windows 8 (not pro)

John O'Keefe-3
Thomas -

We have not certified EMSRV for Windows 8 or 8.1. However we know of no reason it should not work on Windows 8/8.1. The certification will be done soon and we will update the System Requirements page when this certification is complete.

Sebastian is correct that none of the Home editions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, and 8) support 'server-like' functionality (which includes group policy support). It may be possible to do what you want by editing the registry, but I advise against it and can give you no guidance on how to do it.

John
On Friday, November 1, 2013 2:02:10 PM UTC-4, tstalzer wrote:
Hi @All

I would like to install EMSRV on a windows 8 machine (not pro)

Unfortunately, Windows 8 does not contain gpedit.msc, so the EMSRV superuser cannot be configered as to "act as part of the operating system" in the group policies.

Can this option be set by putting the required policy in the Windows registry? If yes, please give me a hint for the key.

Regards

Thomas

Re: Install emsrv on Windows 8 (not pro)

Richard Sargent
Administrator

I checked my Windows 7 Home system and I see I installed emsrv to use "local service". That accords with Microsoft's recommendations.
Best practices

-    Do not assign this right to any user accounts. Only assign this user right to trusted users.

-    If a service requires this user right, configure the service to log on by using the local System account, which inherently includes this user right. Do not create a separate account and assign this user right to it."

"