Installation / Creating fresh install as non administrator

Installation / Creating fresh install as non administrator

Carsten Haerle
After installing Dolphin 5.1 (or 5.0) as an administrator everyone
should be able to select "Fresh install" also users which are not
power users or adminstrators but standard users under Windows 2000.
This currently fails, because Dolphin tries to write to the program
directory.

In addition it seems better to move the decryption into the
installation process, so the installation leaves the files in the
program directory which only need to be copies by a users whithout
knowing the registration keys.

Regards

Carsten HAerle

Re: Installation / Creating fresh install as non administrator

Andy Bower-2
Cartsen,

> After installing Dolphin 5.1 (or 5.0) as an administrator everyone
> should be able to select "Fresh install" also users which are not
> power users or adminstrators but standard users under Windows 2000.
> This currently fails, because Dolphin tries to write to the program
> directory.

Yes, you're right. From another report we had recently ("Installation
problem" 11/6/2003) it also seems that you need to be logged on as power
user during this process because the "Fresh Install" also tries to create a
number of registry keys. This issue has been recorded as #1292.

> In addition it seems better to move the decryption into the
> installation process, so the installation leaves the files in the
> program directory which only need to be copies by a users whithout
> knowing the registration keys.

The reason the decryption is done during the Fresh Install is simply that it
needs to be done in Smalltalk and it would be tricky to get the
InstallShield wizard to run such code while it is actually installing the
Smalltalk runtime system (although I am well known round here for trying to
run stuff when it is only 80% installed :-) ). I imagine that there may be
ways around this but the simplest might be to have a separate download for
commercial and trial versions with the latter just having the source that is
currently encrypted, completely removed.

Thanks for the report.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: Installation / Creating fresh install as non administrator

Carsten Haerle
> The reason the decryption is done during the Fresh Install is simply that
it
> needs to be done in Smalltalk and it would be tricky to get the
> InstallShield wizard to run such code while it is actually installing the
> Smalltalk runtime system (although I am well known round here for trying
> run stuff when it is only 80% installed :-) ). I imagine that there may be
> ways around this but the simplest might be to have a separate download for
> commercial and trial versions with the latter just having the source that
is
> currently encrypted, completely removed.

Installshield is able to start the installed programm afterwards. So just
start it ("Fresh install") and the adminsitrator can fnish the installation.
The Smallpart part would create an decrypted image not in its own folder but
also in the programm directory, where all users can access and copy it way,
or even just start with the link in the progam menu and save it to there own
home directory (provided Dolphin doesn't write to any files when starting
which is think is the case).

Currently we do exactly this manuelly and modify the installation this way
afterwards including chaning the program directory links. By the way: way
does the fresh install installation creates not only profressional.img and
profressional.chg but also a subdirectory with examples? Shouldn't these
also be in the program directory? We currently move everything in the
program directory from the admistrator own directory.

Regards

Carsten