Installation is driving me mad ...

GLASS mailing list

Now the installation is hanging on "Cloning into 'PharoCompatibility':

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

I tried to install it via:

installServer -c https esystemv4 3.2.12

Not much fun, when installation has more to do with luck ...

Re: Installation is driving me mad ...

GLASS mailing list
This looks like a problem with ssh/git  on your system.

According to Google, this problem appears to be an issue with the setup of your system[1]...

Following the links in that question leads to the following information[2]:

  > Got reason of the problem, it was gnutls package. It's working weird behind a proxy.

I seem to recall that you have asked questions in the past about proxies --- are you doing this install behind a proxy?

Also, I would like to have a bit more information about your system:

  - what os are you running?
  - did you run the $GS_HOME/bin/utils/installPrereqs script?
  - did you follow the recommendation for installing ssh[3]?
  - if you did not follow the recommendation[3], how did you install ssh?

Can you execute the following command at the bash command line:

  git clone https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git

I want the installation process for GsDevKit_home to be as smooth as possible and I appreciate your help in smoothing out the (inevitable) bumps in the road ...

Dale

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15665444/git-error-gnutls-handshake-failed-on-push
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/186847/error-gnutls-handshake-failed-when-connecting-to-https-servers
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/osPrereqs/ubuntu14.04.md#install-ssh-recommended

On 1/15/16 11:01 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Now the installation is hanging on "Cloning into 'PharoCompatibility':

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

I tried to install it via:

installServer -c https esystemv4 3.2.12

Not much fun, when installation has more to do with luck ...

Re: Installation is driving me mad ...

GLASS mailing list

Yes, I read about this problem with git and Ubuntu 14.04 ... and for the other questions I have to ask my sysadmin -> there was something with a firewall (which could also be the reason of the gnutls problems - mentioned in other threads) on this system.

This system has no proxy ...

Acually its our production server and I wanted to switch to gsdevkit_home ...

The installation fails always on different points - I assume here the gnutls problem ... pretty sad.

Marten

Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> hat am 15. Januar 2016 um 20:36 geschrieben:

This looks like a problem with ssh/git  on your system.

According to Google, this problem appears to be an issue with the setup of your system[1]...

Following the links in that question leads to the following information[2]:

  > Got reason of the problem, it was gnutls package. It's working weird behind a proxy.

I seem to recall that you have asked questions in the past about proxies --- are you doing this install behind a proxy?

Also, I would like to have a bit more information about your system:

  - what os are you running?
  - did you run the $GS_HOME/bin/utils/installPrereqs script?
  - did you follow the recommendation for installing ssh[3]?
  - if you did not follow the recommendation[3], how did you install ssh?

Can you execute the following command at the bash command line:

  git clone https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git

I want the installation process for GsDevKit_home to be as smooth as possible and I appreciate your help in smoothing out the (inevitable) bumps in the road ...

Dale

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15665444/git-error-gnutls-handshake-failed-on-push
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/186847/error-gnutls-handshake-failed-when-connecting-to-https-servers
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/osPrereqs/ubuntu14.04.md#install-ssh-recommended

On 1/15/16 11:01 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Now the installation is hanging on "Cloning into 'PharoCompatibility':

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

I tried to install it via:

installServer -c https esystemv4 3.2.12

Not much fun, when installation has more to do with luck ...

Re: Installation is driving me mad ...

GLASS mailing list
Hmmm ... do you think that you can resolve the gnutls problem in your production server?

If not ... the whole structure of GsDevKit_home is based on directories and files, so it is possible to do the GsDevKit_home `installServer` on a development system, then zip up the directory structure and unzip on the production server and then run from there ...

You could also use rsync to update the directory structure on your production server ... you'll be testing in a separate environment form production anyway, so having a functioning git on your production machine isn't absolutely necessary ...

Dale

On 1/15/16 12:41 PM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

Yes, I read about this problem with git and Ubuntu 14.04 ... and for the other questions I have to ask my sysadmin -> there was something with a firewall (which could also be the reason of the gnutls problems - mentioned in other threads) on this system.

This system has no proxy ...

Acually its our production server and I wanted to switch to gsdevkit_home ...

The installation fails always on different points - I assume here the gnutls problem ... pretty sad.

Marten

Dale Henrichs via Glass [hidden email] hat am 15. Januar 2016 um 20:36 geschrieben:

This looks like a problem with ssh/git  on your system.

According to Google, this problem appears to be an issue with the setup of your system[1]...

Following the links in that question leads to the following information[2]:

  > Got reason of the problem, it was gnutls package. It's working weird behind a proxy.

I seem to recall that you have asked questions in the past about proxies --- are you doing this install behind a proxy?

Also, I would like to have a bit more information about your system:

  - what os are you running?
  - did you run the $GS_HOME/bin/utils/installPrereqs script?
  - did you follow the recommendation for installing ssh[3]?
  - if you did not follow the recommendation[3], how did you install ssh?

Can you execute the following command at the bash command line:

  git clone https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git

I want the installation process for GsDevKit_home to be as smooth as possible and I appreciate your help in smoothing out the (inevitable) bumps in the road ...

Dale

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15665444/git-error-gnutls-handshake-failed-on-push
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/186847/error-gnutls-handshake-failed-when-connecting-to-https-servers
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/osPrereqs/ubuntu14.04.md#install-ssh-recommended

On 1/15/16 11:01 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Now the installation is hanging on "Cloning into 'PharoCompatibility':

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

I tried to install it via:

installServer -c https esystemv4 3.2.12

Not much fun, when installation has more to do with luck ...

Re: Installation is driving me mad ...

GLASS mailing list
The bits that are broken for git would be the `git clone`, `git pull`, and `git push` and these commands are only run to change the version of the software you are running .... so install* and updateGsDevKit are the only  scripts that use git in this way and are presumably not the main reason you want to use GsDevKit_home on your production system ...

Dale

On 1/15/16 1:11 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
> [...]

Dale

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15665444/git-error-gnutls-handshake-failed-on-push
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/186847/error-gnutls-handshake-failed-when-connecting-to-https-servers
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/osPrereqs/ubuntu14.04.md#install-ssh-recommended

On 1/15/16 11:01 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Now the installation is hanging on "Cloning into 'PharoCompatibility':

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

I tried to install it via:

installServer -c https esystemv4 3.2.12

Not much fun, when installation has more to do with luck ...

Well, that does not really work. There are several links set in the structure of GsDevKit_home and you have to be serious about the flags used together with tar (-h) ... and then somewhere/somehow the absolute path is set in the filetree repository (containing the absolute path of the original system - containing the old user name) - and updates are also not possible due to that ... no, thats all too difficult and not really serious.

Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 15. Januar 2016 um 22:11 geschrieben:

> [...]

Dale

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15665444/git-error-gnutls-handshake-failed-on-push
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/186847/error-gnutls-handshake-failed-when-connecting-to-https-servers
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/osPrereqs/ubuntu14.04.md#install-ssh-recommended

On 1/15/16 11:01 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Now the installation is hanging on "Cloning into 'PharoCompatibility':

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

I tried to install it via:

installServer -c https esystemv4 3.2.12

Not much fun, when installation has more to do with luck ...

Marten,

You haven't directly answered my first question:

  Do you think that you can resolve the gnutls problem in your production server?

You have given me a laundry list of barriers to do a disk copy, but it's not clear whether these are perceived problems or problems that you ran into in giving the disk copy option a try.

I am interested and willing to try to resolve problems so that you can use GsDevKit_home, despite your attitude ("no, thats all too difficult and not really serious") all of the problems that you describe are surmountable as far as I can tell ....

If symbolic links are a problem, then perhaps rsync is a better option since you can preserve links using rsync, as well as control with precision exactly what gets copied/updated ...

Regarding the absolute path in the filetree repo, I assume that you are referring to a problem with a copied stone? Details are always helpful... If so, I don't think it is a good idea to try to copy an actual stone as part of this process - I know that a stone is created as part of the master branch installServer, but the stone should be deleted before copying to your production server. It's better to create the stone on the production machine.

Updates _are_ possible, especially if you use rsync. If you are concerned about being able to run updateGsDevKit, then it would be relatively straightforward to arrange for updateGsDevKit to perform it's job without doing a `git pull.

So, if fixing gnutls is not a viable solution, I am willing to work out a solution involving rsync  - I kinda like the idea of having a master GsDevKit_home for a site, that can be cloned to different servers (presumably using rsync), so this would be a solution with broad application...

If you are interested in having me take a detailed look at the rsync option (if I do the work, then I can deal with the errors first hand), just let me know...

Dale

On 1/15/16 2:54 PM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

> [...]

Dale

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15665444/git-error-gnutls-handshake-failed-on-push
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/186847/error-gnutls-handshake-failed-when-connecting-to-https-servers
[3] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/osPrereqs/ubuntu14.04.md#install-ssh-recommended

On 1/15/16 11:01 AM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Now the installation is hanging on "Cloning into 'PharoCompatibility':

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

I tried to install it via:

installServer -c https esystemv4 3.2.12

Not much fun, when installation has more to do with luck ...

Ok,

actually I am also willing to solve this problem because I have to ... :-)

Create the database on a source computer and transfer the stuff has lots of disadvantages:

* at least 500MB of transfering data - which is pretty time consuming

* due to local symbol links one has to use at least "tar -chf" to create a suitable backup

* the copied database on the target system will start - but loading updates seems to be not working due to the fact, that all packages reference to filetree repositories with an absolute path located on the original system. If you have a user "glass" on source system then the repositories reference a location in the "glass" directory ... on the target you then get errors like:

ERROR 2318 , a UserDefinedError occurred (error 2318), reason:halt, filetree:// repository '/home/glass/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/zinc/repository' does not exist. (UserDefinedError)

when executing stuff like

GsDeployer deploy: [
Metacello new
baseline: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
repository: 'github://GsDevKit/zinc:gs_master/repository';
onLock: [:ex | ex honor ];
load: 'Zinc-WebSocket-Core' ].

* still the bad feeling that there may be other situations which might fail ...

Can I resolve this ?

Well, there are steps to do which only my admin can do ... and I have to wait for that.

The good thing is, that all my own application software is located in old plain monticello packages ... and I am very happy, that I still stay at that primitive level and considering all the problem I had with installation over the time I used Gemstone/S this will not change.

Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 16. Januar 2016 um 01:43 geschrieben:

On 1/16/16 1:05 AM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

[...]

Right now you seem to be focusing on the problem of moving a pre-created stone from one machine to another .... which is slightly different than the original problem of copying the GsDevKit_home directory structure from one machine to another?

If we eliminate the pre-created stone from the equation, then presumably `tar -chf` or rsync can be used to copy the basic directory structure ... including the cloned git repositories and if there are remaining issues with the basic scripts, I'm sure that we can resolve them once we identify them.

The majority of the problems you mention above have to do with copying a pre-created stone, which I agree is not a good idea, but is the the problem that needs to be resolved?

Specifically do you need to copy a pre-created stone from one machine to another?

Dale

Re: Installation is driving me mad ...

GLASS mailing list

Surprise, surprise ... I did installation of all of our three machines (just now) on the Internet (including the system making trouble) and all three machines had to problems. The original "bad" machine by the way had no firewall or proxy ...

Marten

Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 16. Januar 2016 um 18:08 geschrieben:

[...]

Haha, a pleasant surprise!

By using git clones (as long as the clone works) I found that installations are pretty stable, because reliance on the network is all but eliminated - there's still a package or two that are still downloaded.

Are you still interested in pursuing an rsync option or do you feel that "we're in business" as it is?

Dale

On 1/16/16 2:18 PM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

[...]

Hello Dale,
first oft all I am glad that I can continue working in development.

I still think that a complete offline Installation would be a very good thing - I still remember all those proxy problems several months ago.

I habe to check how far I would come with a git clone copy.

On 1/16/16 2:55 PM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:

> Hello Dale,
> first oft all I am glad that I can continue working in development.
>
> I still think that a complete offline Installation would be a very
> good thing - I still remember all those proxy problems several months ago.

Yeah I agree on this and it is on my todo list ... At the moment I am
aware of a couple of packages that are still loaded from a Monticello
repository and they can be moved to the glass repo ... You can already
add a copy of the gsUpgrader package to the local disk --- let me know
if you want instructions for doing so ...

> I habe to check how far I would come with a git clone copy.

The git clones should only hit the network when you do an explicit pull
or push --- barring any remaining bugs:)

Let me know how things go ...

Dale

Re: Installation is driving me mad ...

GLASS mailing list

Today I tried to create a new stone and the installServer script failed due to network problems:

---Step 1 of tODE bootstrap process: execute upgradeGlass.ws
-----Install GsUpgrader-Core package  from http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/gsUpgrader

The system

ss3.gemtalksystems.com

does not answer any more ...

Marten

Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> hat am 17. Januar 2016 um 00:42 geschrieben:

[...]

And

 seaside.gemtalksystems.com

is also not responding ...

Marten

Marten Feldtmann <[hidden email]> hat am 18. Januar 2016 um 11:00 geschrieben:

[...]

Apparently there is a network outage for the ISP hosting those machines ... we are unable to reach them either ... will let you when I know more ...

Thanks for the report,

Dale

On 01/16/2016 03:42 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On 1/16/16 2:55 PM, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>>
>> Hello Dale,
>> first oft all I am glad that I can continue working in development.
>>
>> I still think that a complete offline Installation would be a very
>> good thing - I still remember all those proxy problems several months
>> ago.
>>
> Yeah I agree on this and it is on my todo list ... At the moment I am
> aware of a couple of packages that are still loaded from a Monticello
> repository and they can be moved to the glass repo ... You can already
> add a copy of the gsUpgrader package to the local disk --- let me know
> if you want instructions for doing so ...

This just took a bounce up the todo list (not to the very top but much
closer to the top) ... with the recent outage for the ss3 network.

While waiting for the network access to return, I started to take a look
at what it might take to achieve this goal[1] ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/54