Installing 9.1 on Linux/Ubuntu

Richard Sargent
Administrator
I'm finding the installation instructions have started with some assumptions that I don't know/understand.

Given that I have VASmalltalk-9.1.0x86-linux-deb.tar.gz somewhere, what I am required to do with it to get to the point that I can "Then run the installer by executing sudo ./vainstall"?
I'm starting from the documentation at https://www.instantiations.com/docs/91/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=ig/instgdlx1.html. It's a little shy on the initial steps.

Thanks!

Re: Installing 9.1 on Linux/Ubuntu

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hi Richard,

Sorry, but I don't follow you. From the link you pasted, if I click on "Installing Standalone" then I am taken to this link: https://www.instantiations.com/docs/91/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=ig/instgdlx6.html

Right there you have all the information you need. Phrases like "Unzip the downloaded VA Smalltalk product installer."... and then:

?

Is that what you mean?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 9:11 PM Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm finding the installation instructions have started with some assumptions that I don't know/understand.

Given that I have VASmalltalk-9.1.0x86-linux-deb.tar.gz somewhere, what I am required to do with it to get to the point that I can "Then run the installer by executing sudo ./vainstall"?
I'm starting from the documentation at https://www.instantiations.com/docs/91/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=ig/instgdlx1.html. It's a little shy on the initial steps.

Thanks!

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: Installing 9.1 on Linux/Ubuntu

Richard Sargent
Administrator

Thanks, Mariano. That's part of it. I've looked in the file and it appears to have oaths starting at /use. So, it wasn't clear to me what tar would put where and which directory in the result to navigate to.

(I was assuming the instructions for the documentation would be similar to the ones for the product code.)

?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 10:09 PM Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, Mariano. That's part of it. I've looked in the file and it appears to have oaths starting at /use. So, it wasn't clear to me what tar would put where and which directory in the result to navigate to.

OK thanks Richard. I will open a case to improve this part of the documentation.

(I was assuming the instructions for the documentation would be similar to the ones for the product code.)

Which ones exactly? I mean, could you give me the link of the ones you were expected to be similar with?

Thanks!

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019, 18:18 'Mariano Martinez Peck' via VA Smalltalk <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 10:09 PM Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, Mariano. That's part of it. I've looked in the file and it appears to have oaths starting at /use. So, it wasn't clear to me what tar would put where and which directory in the result to navigate to.

OK thanks Richard. I will open a case to improve this part of the documentation.

(I was assuming the instructions for the documentation would be similar to the ones for the product code.)

Which ones exactly? I mean, could you give me the link of the ones you were expected to be similar with?

That's just it. Only the documentation instructions had that kind of detail.

Thanks!