Installing GlorpDBX on Pharo 1.1

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi All,

What do I have to do to get GlorpDBX installed on a Pharo 1.1 beta image?

Sorry, but I'm new to the Gofer, Metacello, Monticello, Installer ss and all those utilities.
Every time I try to catch up, it's always a step ahead of me :)

Thank you!

Re: Installing GlorpDBX on Pharo 1.1

Esteban A. Maringolo
Don't ask me how, but I managed to install SqueakDBX and GlorpDBX on Pharo 1.1 :)

What I wonder now is how to run the tests, because I downloaded the DLLs from OpenDBX website, put them on the VM directory, but if I try to run the tests most of them complains about the missing DLL, for example LIBPQ.DLL.

Do I have to download all of them to run the tests?
Which leads to the next question... how are the tests supposed to run? Do they need a MySQL/SQLite/PgSQL database server configured?

By now I just want to use GlorpDBX with SQLite3 as its backend.
There is a bunch of libXXXXXbackend-1.dll files with the OpenDBX binaries, but I don't think it's what I need.

Thank you very much.

ps: I'll try to find the missing DLL's and place them on the VM directory, and log it back here if it works.

Re: Installing GlorpDBX on Pharo 1.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Don't ask me how, but I managed to install SqueakDBX and GlorpDBX on Pharo
1.1 :)

What I wonder now is how to run the tests, because I downloaded the DLLs
from OpenDBX website, put them on the VM directory, but if I try to run the
tests most of them complains about the missing DLL, for example LIBPQ.DLL.

This is because OpenDBX doesn't directly talks to the database. Instead, it just unifies APIs and then delegate (talks) to the particular database client library.
This means that when you want to use OpenDBX with a particular database you need the OpenDBX library AND the database client library.

This is explained here: http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX

Where do you have installed PostgreSQL? in your own machine?

Be sure you have /bin in the $PATH. For example if you installed postgres in C:\PostgreSQL\8.3\

then you should add to PATH: C:\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\

you will see libpq.dll is there, the problem is windows cannot find it.

Do I have to download all of them to run the tests?

Dlls ?  No, you just need libopendbx dll and the dll of your backend. In you case, libpgsqlbackend.

Which leads to the next question... how are the tests supposed to run?

Sorry. This is kind of hack/lazyness/lack of time.
It is explained here: http://www.squeakdbx.org/GLORP%20integration
(subtitle unit tests)

In SqueakDBX I fixed this using a TestResource and brining a popup that let you choose which database you want to test. But I didn't have time to do it in GlorpDBX :(

Do
they need a MySQL/SQLite/PgSQL database server configured?

I don't know what configured means. What I can tell you is that for running the tests, you DO need a database running. And you have to tell Glorp which username/pass to use. Read in the same link I sent you aboce.

By now I just want to use GlorpDBX with SQLite3 as its backend.
There is a bunch of libXXXXXbackend-1.dll files with the OpenDBX binaries,
but I don't think it's what I need.

No, you just need libopendbx dll and libsqlite3backend

ups....sqlite ?  I never tried it with GlorpDBX :(
SqueakDBX is working for sure with sqlite, but I have no idea about GlorpDBX. We test it (for the moment) with Postgres, mysql and oracle.

Cheers

Mariano

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

What do I have to do to get GlorpDBX installed on a Pharo 1.1 beta image?

The recommended way is using Metacello. It is explained here:

http://www.squeakdbx.org/Installation

Altough now there is a new development version, so you may want to install  it by:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX';
    load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX) project version: '1.1') load

Sorry, but I'm new to the Gofer, Metacello, Monticello, Installer ss and all
those utilities.
Every time I try to catch up, it's always a step ahead of me :)

hahah don't worry.

Thank you!