Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

jrick
I have a new computer and installed Ubuntu 14.10 on it. When I tried to install Pharo using the PPA instructions, it failed. I get the following message when executing "sudo apt-get update":

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

I was able to get Pharo running with the Zeroconf script, but I thought I'd report that the standard thing didn't work. Is it just that a binary doesn't yet exist for 14.10.

Cheers,

Jeff

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

Re: Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

Markus Fritsche-4
On 2015-01-26 15:41, J.F. Rick wrote:

> I have a new computer and installed Ubuntu 14.10 on it. When I tried
> to install Pharo using the PPA instructions, it failed. I get the
> following message when executing "sudo apt-get update":
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> [1]  404  Not Found
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-i386/Packages
> [2]  404  Not Found

> I was able to get Pharo running with the Zeroconf script, but I
> thought I'd report that the standard thing didn't work. Is it just
> that a binary doesn't yet exist for 14.10.

I'll check that this week, I guess I just have to update my build
scripts to include utopic as a target.

I thought I've been there and done that, but being on 14.04 myself, I
didn't have the oppurtunity to check.

Best regards,
   Markus

Re: Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

Damien Cassou

J.F. Rick writes:

> I have a new computer and installed Ubuntu 14.10 on it. When I tried to
> install Pharo using the PPA instructions, it failed. I get the following
> message when executing "sudo apt-get update":
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> 404  Not Found
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 404  Not Found
>
> I was able to get Pharo running with the Zeroconf script, but I thought I'd
> report that the standard thing didn't work. Is it just that a binary
> doesn't yet exist for 14.10.

please try https://launchpad.net/~pharo/+archive/ubuntu/unstable

Nevertheless, I'm not the maintainer anymore, Markus Fritsche is.
Contact him directly in case of trouble.

If you have trouble with Ubuntu packages, I typically advise people to
use the Nix package system (it works on any Unix). Pharo is packaged and
maintained there: http://nixos.org/nix/

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Le 27 janvier 2015 11:40:48 CET, Markus Fritsche <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>On 2015-01-26 15:41, J.F. Rick wrote:
>> I have a new computer and installed Ubuntu 14.10 on it. When I tried
>> to install Pharo using the PPA instructions, it failed. I get the
>> following message when executing "sudo apt-get update":
>>
>> W: Failed to fetch
>>
>http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-amd64/Packages
>> [1]  404  Not Found
>> W: Failed to fetch
>>
>http://ppa.launchpad.net/pharo/stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-i386/Packages
>> [2]  404  Not Found
>
>> I was able to get Pharo running with the Zeroconf script, but I
>> thought I'd report that the standard thing didn't work. Is it just
>> that a binary doesn't yet exist for 14.10.
>
>I'll check that this week, I guess I just have to update my build
>scripts to include utopic as a target.
>
>I thought I've been there and done that, but being on 14.04 myself, I
>didn't have the oppurtunity to check.

Markus, please update the stable repository and remove the unstable one

On 28.01.2015 21:22, Damien Cassou wrote:
> Markus, please update the stable repository and remove the unstable one

Will do so this week!

Best regards,
  Markus

Re: Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

Markus Fritsche-4

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncherFinalUserImage/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/PharoLauncher.zip

as used in the script for the Pharo Launcher throws a 404 - what's the
proper new address?

Best regards,
  Markus

Markus Fritsche writes:

> Hi,
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncherFinalUserImage/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/PharoLauncher.zip
>
> as used in the script for the Pharo Launcher throws a 404 -
> what's the proper new address?

launcher: http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/blessed/
vm: http://files.pharo.org/vm/src/vm-unix-sources/blessed

Best

--
Damien Cassou http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

Markus Fritsche-4
Hi Damien,

I updated the pharo launcher with the sources from
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/blessed/PharoLauncher-user-0.2.2-2015.01.08.zip
and get a walkback during startup:

Author: MarkusFritsche
Date: 2015-02-10T19:28:38.179496+01:00

ByteString(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #asLegalSelector
PhLLaunchImageCommand class(PhLCommand class)>>specId
ByteSymbol(Symbol)>>value:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>collect:
PhLCommandToolbar>>commandClasses:
PhLTitledTreeModel>>toolbarCommandClasses:
PharoLauncher>>initializeImageAndTemplates
[ self initializeImageAndTemplates ] in PharoLauncher>>initializeWidgets
BlockClosure>>cull:
BlockClosure>>cull:cull:
[ action cull: anAnnouncement cull: announcer ] in
AnnouncementSubscription>>deliver:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
BlockClosure>>on:fork:
AnnouncementSubscription>>deliver:
[ subscription deliver: anAnnouncement ] in
SubscriptionRegistry>>deliver:to:startingAt:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
SubscriptionRegistry>>deliver:to:startingAt:
SubscriptionRegistry>>deliver:to:
SubscriptionRegistry>>deliver:
Announcer>>announce:

Re: Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

Markus Fritsche-4

On 28.01.2015 21:22, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Markus, please update the stable repository and remove the unstable one

Unfortunately, my first shot didn't work.

I need to sort out the error on pharo launcher (stack trace in another
message to this list) and give it another shot once that's done.

Best regards,
  Markus

Re: Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

Nicolai Hess
Hi Markus,
ByteString(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #asLegalSelector

this method was removed in pharo 40165
(13754 cleaning strings API)

Maybe we have to reinclude it again.
Or, I don't know exactly for what it is used in PharoLauncher, maybe we can use something else.

nicolai

On 28.01.2015 21:22, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Markus, please update the stable repository and remove the unstable one

Unfortunately, my first shot didn't work.

I need to sort out the error on pharo launcher (stack trace in another
message to this list) and give it another shot once that's done.

Best regards,
  Markus

Re: Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

stepharo
Would be good because programmers are like gaz they use the complete space :)

Le 10/2/15 20:44, Nicolai Hess a écrit :
Hi Markus,
ByteString(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #asLegalSelector

this method was removed in pharo 40165
(13754 cleaning strings API)

Maybe we have to reinclude it again.
Or, I don't know exactly for what it is used in PharoLauncher, maybe we can use something else.

nicolai

On 28.01.2015 21:22, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Markus, please update the stable repository and remove the unstable one

Unfortunately, my first shot didn't work.

I need to sort out the error on pharo launcher (stack trace in another
message to this list) and give it another shot once that's done.

Best regards,
  Markus

Re: Installing Pharo on Ubuntu

Stephan Eggermont-3
Nicolai wrote:
>this method was removed in pharo 40165
>(13754 cleaning strings API)
>
>Maybe we have to reinclude it again.
>Or, I don't know exactly for what it is used in PharoLauncher, maybe we can use something else.

#asLegalSelector is used on smalltalkhub in
gokr/DeltaStreams
estebanlm/Mars
estebanlm/Voyage
StephaneDucasse/ArchiveTraits
onierstrasz/SCGPier
gisela/Flamel
andrehora/HoraExpTemp
andrehora/HoraExpTemp2
andrehora/HoraExpTemp3
panuw/zeromq
CipT/TalkFFI
Guille/LOOP

Stephan

Markus Fritsche writes:

> Hi Damien,
>
> I updated the pharo launcher with the sources from
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/blessed/PharoLauncher-user-0.2.2-2015.01.08.zip
> and get a walkback during startup:
>
> Author: MarkusFritsche Date: 2015-02-10T19:28:38.179496+01:00
>
> ByteString(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #asLegalSelector

I fixed that in v0.2.2, but CI is down. We have to wait a bit.