Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Lorenzo
Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Help!

I have tried to install Seaside into Squeak 5.2 (64 bit), but I have not been able to do it, even I followed all specifications.

Can you give my some support?

Many thanks

Re: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Pierce Ng-3
On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 02:35:58PM +0200, Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:
> I have tried to install Seaside into Squeak 5.2 (64 bit), but I have not
> been able to do it, even I followed all specifications.
> Can you give my some support?

I installed latest Seaside on 64bit Squeak 5.2 successfully earlier this
month following the instructions on GH.

What steps did you take and what errors did you get?

Pierce

R: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Lorenzo
Hi Pierce,

thank you for your fast answer; what does GH mean?
I have tried to install Seaside following description from 'Installing Seaside using the one-click experience image'.
When I start Metacello, I receive the message: 'Error: cannot resolve symbolic version #release1.

I can assure you that I have tried all answers I have found in documentation: I am a bit destroyed!

Grazie

Lorenzo

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 02:35:58PM +0200, Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:
> I have tried to install Seaside into Squeak 5.2 (64 bit), but I have not
> been able to do it, even I followed all specifications.
> Can you give my some support?

I installed latest Seaside on 64bit Squeak 5.2 successfully earlier this
month following the instructions on GH.

What steps did you take and what errors did you get?

Pierce

Re: R: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Georg Heeg
Lorenzo,

for me GH stands for Georg Heeg, that's obvious. But in this case, I am not guilty. Google told me that possibly https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/squeak-trunk/release-notes/5.2 could the source mentioned by Pierce.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 08:20:27PM +0000, Georg Heeg wrote:
> for me GH stands for Georg Heeg, that's obvious. But in this case, I
> am not guilty. Google told me that possibly
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/squeak-trunk/release-notes/5.2
> could the source mentioned by Pierce.

:-)

Hi Lorenzo,

I should've been clearer. GH means Github. The canonical source repo for
Seaside is https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside. According to the
README, for Squeak >= 5.2:

  Installer ensureRecentMetacello.
  Metacello new
    baseline: 'Seaside3';
    repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
    load.

Pierce

R: R: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Lorenzo
Thank you George; GH was for Github!

Ciao

Lorenzo

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 02:35:58PM +0200, Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:
> I have tried to install Seaside into Squeak 5.2 (64 bit), but I have
> not been able to do it, even I followed all specifications.
> Can you give my some support?

I installed latest Seaside on 64bit Squeak 5.2 successfully earlier this month following the instructions on GH.

What steps did you take and what errors did you get?

Pierce

R: R: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Lorenzo
Thank you Pierce,

when I use the canonical instruction I receive 'Could not resolve: Base line of Metacello'.
As far as you know does exist an updated version of Squeak 5.2 (64 bit)?
Maybe I am using an old release.

Thank you for your help.

Lorenzo

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 08:20:27PM +0000, Georg Heeg wrote:
> for me GH stands for Georg Heeg, that's obvious. But in this case, I
> am not guilty. Google told me that possibly
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/squeak-trunk/release-notes/5.2
> could the source mentioned by Pierce.

:-)

Hi Lorenzo,

I should've been clearer. GH means Github. The canonical source repo for
Seaside is https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside. According to the
README, for Squeak >= 5.2:

  Installer ensureRecentMetacello.
  Metacello new
    baseline: 'Seaside3';
    repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
    load.

Pierce

Re: R: R: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Pierce Ng-3
On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:40:13AM +0200, Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:
> when I use the canonical instruction I receive 'Could not resolve: Base line of Metacello'.

Did you "Installer ensureRecentMetacello"?

I just did the following in a fresh 64-bit Squeak 5.2 image. The Seaside
control panel UI looks funny but at least one button works even though
it doesn't look like a button. And Seaside runs.

>   Installer ensureRecentMetacello.
>   Metacello new
>     baseline: 'Seaside3';
>     repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
>     load.

Pierce

R: R: R: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Lorenzo
Hi Pierce!

Grazie mille!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got it!!!!

Can you tell me where you got 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello'?

I think it was the key step.

Grazie

Lorenzo

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:40:13AM +0200, Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:
> when I use the canonical instruction I receive 'Could not resolve: Base line of Metacello'.

Did you "Installer ensureRecentMetacello"?

I just did the following in a fresh 64-bit Squeak 5.2 image. The Seaside
control panel UI looks funny but at least one button works even though
it doesn't look like a button. And Seaside runs.

>   Installer ensureRecentMetacello.
>   Metacello new
>     baseline: 'Seaside3';
>     repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
>     load.

Pierce

Re: R: R: R: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Pierce Ng-3
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 04:01:53PM +0200, Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:
> Can you tell me where you got 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello'?

In the GH README instructions for Squeak >= 5.2.

Pierce

Re: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Chris Muller-3
Hi Lorenzo,

Seaside is available from the SqueakMap catalog for 5.2.

   1) From the "Apps" menu, select "SqueakMap Catalog".
   2) In the search bar in the upper-left, type "seasid".
   3) Expand the "Seaside" entry in the list below the search bar.
   4) Select "3.2.2", the top entry.
   5) Press ESCape or yellow-click (right click).
   6) Select "install".

I just verified Seaside installs without errors using this process in a stock 5.2 image.

HTH,
  Chris

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 7:36 AM Lorenzo Schiavina <[hidden email]> wrote:

Help!

I have tried to install Seaside into Squeak 5.2 (64 bit), but I have not been able to do it, even I followed all specifications.

Can you give my some support?

Many thanks

Re: Installing Seaside into Squak 5.2 (64 bit)

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Chris,

3.2.2 ?
Probably that’s the last version in the Smalltalkhub’s ConfigurationOf...

We’re at 3.3.4 and we are at https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside

Right now, we’re still doing the effort to maintain Seaside on Squeak as well.
It would be a shame to have that wasted.

cheers
Johan