Installing Seaside on Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All,

I want to install Seaside on Squeak (on windows for now).  The instructions for installing
Seaside say to install Metacello first.  The instructions for Metacello say to run this
snippet:

Installer gemsource
    project: 'metacello';
    addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
    install.

But when I run the above snippet it fails with:

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #binary

I don't know how to copy more of the stack or I would include it here.  I did use the feature
to send a bug report but I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get around this while the bug
report is being looked at.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Lou
--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.

Re: Installing Seaside on Squeak

David T. Lewis
I could have sworn I saw a post about this just recently, but I can't seem
to find the link right now. I think it was something to do with the
installation not working in our latest trunk image, but that going back to
the 5.1 release was ok.

Can someone provide a better answer?

Thanks,
Dave

> Hi All,
>
> I want to install Seaside on Squeak (on windows for now).  The
> instructions for installing
> Seaside say to install Metacello first.  The instructions for Metacello
> say to run this
> snippet:
>
> Installer gemsource
>     project: 'metacello';
>     addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>     install.
>
> But when I run the above snippet it fails with:
>
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #binary
>
> I don't know how to copy more of the stack or I would include it here.  I
> did use the feature
> to send a bug report but I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get around
> this while the bug
> report is being looked at.
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all help.
>
> Lou
> --
> Louis LaBrunda
> Keystone Software Corp.
> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Re: Installing Seaside on Squeak

Tobias Pape

On 09.01.2017, at 16:27, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to install Seaside on Squeak (on windows for now).  The instructions for installing
> Seaside say to install Metacello first.  The instructions for Metacello say to run this
> snippet:
>
> Installer gemsource
>   project: 'metacello';
>   addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>   install.
>
> But when I run the above snippet it fails with:
>
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #binary
>
> I don't know how to copy more of the stack or I would include it here.  I did use the feature
> to send a bug report but I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get around this while the bug
> report is being looked at.

here are some observations:
first, I just tried the snippet in my Trunk image, and it worked.
second, I found your other post with the log file and the crash dump,
It seems things crashed when Squeak tried to _save_ the zip it just loaded[1].

Please see whether this goes away if you download this file
        http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello/ConfigurationOfMetacello-topa.802.mcz
directly into the package-cache and maybe even load it from there.

Hope this helps

Best regards
        -Tobias

PS: Yes, this actually should work. If it doesn't y'all allowed to hit me :D

[1]: Side note: It works like this:
    1. Download .mcz into squeak image
    2. Open (deserialize) .mcz into Monticello data
    3. For caching, serialize the Monticello data just deserialized into a _new_ .mcz in the package-cache directory.

> Thanks in advance for any and all help.
>
> Lou
> --
> Louis LaBrunda
> Keystone Software Corp.
> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Re: Installing Seaside on Squeak

Hannes Hirzel
Seaside status November 2016

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6506

refers to

https://travis-ci.org/SeasideSt/Seaside

Squeak 5.1 is fine
https://travis-ci.org/SeasideSt/Seaside/jobs/169928978

On 1/9/17, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I could have sworn I saw a post about this just recently, but I can't seem
> to find the link right now. I think it was something to do with the
> installation not working in our latest trunk image, but that going back to
> the 5.1 release was ok.
>
> Can someone provide a better answer?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I want to install Seaside on Squeak (on windows for now).  The
>> instructions for installing
>> Seaside say to install Metacello first.  The instructions for Metacello
>> say to run this
>> snippet:
>>
>> Installer gemsource
>>     project: 'metacello';
>>     addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>>     install.
>>
>> But when I run the above snippet it fails with:
>>
>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #binary
>>
>> I don't know how to copy more of the stack or I would include it here.  I
>> did use the feature
>> to send a bug report but I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get around
>> this while the bug
>> report is being looked at.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any and all help.
>>
>> Lou
>> --
>> Louis LaBrunda
>> Keystone Software Corp.
>> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Installing Seaside on Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help.  Tobias got me on the right track when he said:

"It seems things crashed when Squeak tried to _save_ the zip it just loaded[1]."

For some reason windows (and I guess the Squeak 5.1 install) had the c:\Program Files
(x86)\Squeak\... folders marked as read only and had some other security flags set that may
have denied saving other files in that folder tree.  I changed all that manually and the
Seaside install seemed to proceed okay after that.  I will play with it in a day or two.

Many thanks to all.

Lou

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:01:17 +0100, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On 09.01.2017, at 16:27, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I want to install Seaside on Squeak (on windows for now).  The instructions for installing
>> Seaside say to install Metacello first.  The instructions for Metacello say to run this
>> snippet:
>>
>> Installer gemsource
>>   project: 'metacello';
>>   addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>>   install.
>>
>> But when I run the above snippet it fails with:
>>
>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #binary
>>
>> I don't know how to copy more of the stack or I would include it here.  I did use the feature
>> to send a bug report but I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get around this while the bug
>> report is being looked at.
>>

>here are some observations:
>first, I just tried the snippet in my Trunk image, and it worked.
>second, I found your other post with the log file and the crash dump,
>It seems things crashed when Squeak tried to _save_ the zip it just loaded[1].
>
>Please see whether this goes away if you download this file
> http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello/ConfigurationOfMetacello-topa.802.mcz
>directly into the package-cache and maybe even load it from there.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Best regards
> -Tobias
>
>PS: Yes, this actually should work. If it doesn't y'all allowed to hit me :D
>

>[1]: Side note: It works like this:
>    1. Download .mcz into squeak image
>    2. Open (deserialize) .mcz into Monticello data
>    3. For caching, serialize the Monticello data just deserialized into a _new_ .mcz in the package-cache directory.
>

>> Thanks in advance for any and all help.
>>
>> Lou
>> --
>> Louis LaBrunda
>> Keystone Software Corp.
>> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Re: Installing Seaside on Squeak

Tobias Pape
Hi Lou

(strangely, my ISP won't let me send to your mail directly…)

On 09.01.2017, at 22:58, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the help.  Tobias got me on the right track when he said:
>
> "It seems things crashed when Squeak tried to _save_ the zip it just loaded[1]."
>
> For some reason windows (and I guess the Squeak 5.1 install) had the c:\Program Files
> (x86)\Squeak\... folders marked as read only and had some other security flags set that may
> have denied saving other files in that folder tree.  I changed all that manually and the
> Seaside install seemed to proceed okay after that.  I will play with it in a day or two.

Can you get us the permissions you had on the directory, especially the package cache?
We should investigate this silent fail (well, not so silent eventually…)

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Many thanks to all.
>
> Lou
>

> On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:01:17 +0100, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 09.01.2017, at 16:27, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I want to install Seaside on Squeak (on windows for now).  The instructions for installing
>>> Seaside say to install Metacello first.  The instructions for Metacello say to run this
>>> snippet:
>>>
>>> Installer gemsource
>>>  project: 'metacello';
>>>  addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>>>  install.
>>>
>>> But when I run the above snippet it fails with:
>>>
>>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #binary
>>>
>>> I don't know how to copy more of the stack or I would include it here.  I did use the feature
>>> to send a bug report but I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get around this while the bug
>>> report is being looked at.
>>>

>> here are some observations:
>> first, I just tried the snippet in my Trunk image, and it worked.
>> second, I found your other post with the log file and the crash dump,
>> It seems things crashed when Squeak tried to _save_ the zip it just loaded[1].
>>
>> Please see whether this goes away if you download this file
>> http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello/ConfigurationOfMetacello-topa.802.mcz
>> directly into the package-cache and maybe even load it from there.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Best regards
>> -Tobias
>>
>> PS: Yes, this actually should work. If it doesn't y'all allowed to hit me :D
>>

>> [1]: Side note: It works like this:
>>   1. Download .mcz into squeak image
>>   2. Open (deserialize) .mcz into Monticello data
>>   3. For caching, serialize the Monticello data just deserialized into a _new_ .mcz in the package-cache directory.
>>

>>> Thanks in advance for any and all help.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>> --
>>> Louis LaBrunda
>>> Keystone Software Corp.
>>> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
>>>

> --
> Louis LaBrunda
> Keystone Software Corp.
> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Installing Seaside on Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Tobias,

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 00:04:42 +0100, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hi Lou
>
>(strangely, my ISP won't let me send to your mail directly…)

That's odd, although, every once in a while the email server gets falsely black listed as a
source of spam.  Did it tell you why?  I will have to look into it.

>On 09.01.2017, at 22:58, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Thanks for the help.  Tobias got me on the right track when he said:
>>
>> "It seems things crashed when Squeak tried to _save_ the zip it just loaded[1]."
>>
>> For some reason windows (and I guess the Squeak 5.1 install) had the c:\Program Files
>> (x86)\Squeak\... folders marked as read only and had some other security flags set that may
>> have denied saving other files in that folder tree.  I changed all that manually and the
>> Seaside install seemed to proceed okay after that.  I will play with it in a day or two.
>
>Can you get us the permissions you had on the directory, especially the package cache?
>We should investigate this silent fail (well, not so silent eventually…)

There was some kind of read only flag on the folder that said it only applied to the files. I'm
not sure what that means exactly.  There were also user level privileges that excluded writing
to the folders.  Sorry, I don't have a good list for you.  Even if I did, I doubt you would be
able to change them during an install.

So, I don't think it will help to pursue that avenue as a fix.  I'm not sure when it happened
but it seems windows no longer lets programs write to the folder they are installed in.  I
develop VA Smalltalk programs for windows and have to change where settings (and even where the
image) lives.  We have a system where the user can replace just the image as a program update.
In this way they can get an update and "install" it themselves without having "install"
privileges.  We install things in the Users\...\AppData\... folder tree.

This is a giant pain in the ass but you may have to look into it.

Lou

>Best regards
> -Tobias
>

>> Many thanks to all.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>> On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:01:17 +0100, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> here are some observations:
>>> first, I just tried the snippet in my Trunk image, and it worked.
>>> second, I found your other post with the log file and the crash dump,
>>> It seems things crashed when Squeak tried to _save_ the zip it just loaded[1].
>>>
>>> Please see whether this goes away if you download this file
>>> http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/metacello/ConfigurationOfMetacello-topa.802.mcz
>>> directly into the package-cache and maybe even load it from there.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> -Tobias
>>>
>>> PS: Yes, this actually should work. If it doesn't y'all allowed to hit me :D
>>>

>>> [1]: Side note: It works like this:
>>>   1. Download .mcz into squeak image
>>>   2. Open (deserialize) .mcz into Monticello data
>>>   3. For caching, serialize the Monticello data just deserialized into a _new_ .mcz in the package-cache directory.

>> --
>> Louis LaBrunda
>> Keystone Software Corp.
>> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon

Installing Seaside on Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Tobias,

>Can you get us the permissions you had on the directory, especially the package cache?
>We should investigate this silent fail (well, not so silent eventually…)

Some programs are able to somehow get windows to ask the user if it is okay to save files in
certain folders.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.  For that and other reasons
I went a different way but maybe you can figure out how to do this and solve the problem
without having to change the folder structure.

Lou