Installing Smalltalk's (COG VM and/or Gemstone) on a NAS (Synology) ?

1 message Options

Installing Smalltalk's (COG VM and/or Gemstone) on a NAS (Synology) ?

cedreek
Hi all,

Has anybody ever tried to get Smalltalk on a NAS box ? NAS are more and more present around me and I can't help thinking it would be a great smalltalk deployment option. Out of the box, PHP application can run.
I think one problem is the multitude of architecture and that each VM needs to be compiled specifically. As a side note, I think we should focus on Synology and Qnap at starts.

Let's take a particular example. I have a synology NAS (DSM 411+II) wich is based on an ATOM 510 (64bits if I'm correct) [2].
There's a guide on how to install third party application (from the raw setup to the app packaging) [3].

From what I understand of the compilation process [3], the first step is to download DSM Tool Chain [4] and to use it to compile sources on a classic linux station. Then, once compiled, you move the executable to the NAS and it should work... Problem is I'm a bit lost there because, first I never compiled a VM and second, this needs some manipulations on the configure file (which I'm not at ease with).

So, is there a brave experienced soul that could have a try compiling a Cog VM with this toolchain (my NAS is a pineview processor - D525)?

Also, I think this would be even more pertinent with gemstone. I tried the install.sh but got quickly blocked and I'm not sure this gives a single executable anyway. But if the gestone guys wants to have a try... :)

I can give ssh access for people interested if necessary.

TIA,

Cédrick

[3] <a href="http://download.synology.com/download/ds/userguide/Synology NAS Server 3rd-Party Apps Integration Guide.pdf">http://download.synology.com/download/ds/userguide/Synology%20NAS%20Server%203rd-Party%20Apps%20Integration%20Guide.pdf