Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Petr Fischer
Hello, just loaded Magma into Pharo 6 image from:

https://github.com/magma-database/magma/tree/pharo6-dev

and when I want to create my first repository with:

MagmaRepositoryController create: 'test' root: Dictionary new.

this error occurs:

Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Whats wrong?
Also, where is most actual docuentation for Magma, only this:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665
?

Thanks! Petr Fischer

Re: Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Petr Fischer
FileDirectory is class from Ma-Pharo package. It seems that there are Squeak compatibility classes.
Probably not fully ported yet.

OK, pf

> > Hello, just loaded Magma into Pharo 6 image from:
> >
> > https://github.com/magma-database/magma/tree/pharo6-dev
> >

> This repo is for porting Magma to Pharo which was just started. Normally in
> Pharo Margma should use FileSystem package. I wonder that you found
> FileDirectory class.

Re: Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Udo Schneider
Hi Petr,

the current version is the github repo is non-functional at all. It's
just a snaphot of the current Squeak/Magma Sourcetree with enough
monkeypatching to "just load" into a Pharo image. There is not yet any
additional functionality to make it work. I have some things working in
my own local repo - but even this is far from alpha stage. I assume
(based on the time I can invest) it's safe to assume that this will at
least take a year before any usable version of Magma on Pharo can be
expected. Sorry.

CU,

Udo

Am 03/07/17 um 10:20 schrieb Petr Fischer:

> Hello, just loaded Magma into Pharo 6 image from:
>
> https://github.com/magma-database/magma/tree/pharo6-dev
>
> and when I want to create my first repository with:
>
> MagmaRepositoryController create: 'test' root: Dictionary new.
>
> this error occurs:
>
> Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default
>
> Whats wrong?
> Also, where is most actual docuentation for Magma, only this:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665
> ?
>
> Thanks! Petr Fischer

Re: Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Petr Fischer
Understand.

Is possible to make brief list "what needs to be done for 100% functional port for Pharo" and share it on some central place (github)? Maybe some terse todo overview about classes and specific porting issues.

I personaly can very slowly rewrite, for example, something about file/dir access (use Pharo file system classes instead of Squeak file/stream classes), but hardly something about hasihing, indexing or something insisting deep knowledge about how Magma works internally. I am interested in Magma, because the need of "just simple, but transactional persistent object storage" annoys me frequently these days (GLORP or NoSQL databases are not the proper answer for persisting Smalltalk/Pharo native application domain models IMHO).

Is there something like more detailed doc (but not functionally obsolete), which would help me understand how the Magma works inside?

A know only about this historic wiki place:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665

Thanks, pf

> Hi Petr,
>
> the current version is the github repo is non-functional at all. It's just a
> snaphot of the current Squeak/Magma Sourcetree with enough monkeypatching to
> "just load" into a Pharo image. There is not yet any additional
> functionality to make it work. I have some things working in my own local
> repo - but even this is far from alpha stage. I assume (based on the time I
> can invest) it's safe to assume that this will at least take a year before
> any usable version of Magma on Pharo can be expected. Sorry.
>
> CU,
>
> Udo
>

> Am 03/07/17 um 10:20 schrieb Petr Fischer:
> > Hello, just loaded Magma into Pharo 6 image from:
> >
> > https://github.com/magma-database/magma/tree/pharo6-dev
> >
> > and when I want to create my first repository with:
> >
> > MagmaRepositoryController create: 'test' root: Dictionary new.
> >
> > this error occurs:
> >
> > Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default
> >
> > Whats wrong?
> > Also, where is most actual docuentation for Magma, only this:
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665
> > ?
> >
> > Thanks! Petr Fischer

Re: Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Chris Muller-3
Hi Petr,

> Is possible to make brief list "what needs to be done for 100% functional port for Pharo" and share it on some central place (github)? Maybe some terse todo overview about classes and specific porting issues.

In Udo's prior engagement on this list about porting Magma, I outlined
the list frameworks and test cases that would need to be ported in
dependency order.

> I personaly can very slowly rewrite, for example, something about file/dir access (use Pharo file system classes instead of Squeak file/stream classes), but hardly something about hasihing, indexing or something insisting deep knowledge about how Magma works internally. I am interested in Magma, because the need of "just simple, but transactional persistent object storage" annoys me frequently these days (GLORP or NoSQL databases are not the proper answer for persisting Smalltalk/Pharo native application domain models IMHO).
>
> Is there something like more detailed doc (but not functionally obsolete), which would help me understand how the Magma works inside?

This is an excellent, concise description.

   http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/persistency/magma/workings

> A know only about this historic wiki place:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665

Inside that wiki is another PDF which describes the internals of
Magma's HashIndex files.

Best,
  Chris

Re: Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Doug Rollwitz

Petr;

I would also like a Pharo version of Magma and would be willing to work on it with you.  Are you actively working on it?

Doug

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Petr,

> Is possible to make brief list "what needs to be done for 100% functional port for Pharo" and share it on some central place (github)? Maybe some terse todo overview about classes and specific porting issues.

In Udo's prior engagement on this list about porting Magma, I outlined
the list frameworks and test cases that would need to be ported in
dependency order.

> I personaly can very slowly rewrite, for example, something about file/dir access (use Pharo file system classes instead of Squeak file/stream classes), but hardly something about hasihing, indexing or something insisting deep knowledge about how Magma works internally. I am interested in Magma, because the need of "just simple, but transactional persistent object storage" annoys me frequently these days (GLORP or NoSQL databases are not the proper answer for persisting Smalltalk/Pharo native application domain models IMHO).
>
> Is there something like more detailed doc (but not functionally obsolete), which would help me understand how the Magma works inside?

This is an excellent, concise description.

   http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/persistency/magma/workings

> A know only about this historic wiki place:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665

Inside that wiki is another PDF which describes the internals of
Magma's HashIndex files.

Best,
  Chris

Re: Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Petr Fischer
Too difficult task for me. Advertised features (large-scale, concurrency, large collections, high-availability and fault tolerance...) looks good. I did a few tests in Squeak and according to the feedback from other Smalltalkers on social sites, Magma is too slow for real use.
I started to learn Gemstone instead of Magma :/

pf

> Petr;
>
> I would also like a Pharo version of Magma and would be willing to work on
> it with you.  Are you actively working on it?
>
> Doug
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Petr,
> >
> > > Is possible to make brief list "what needs to be done for 100%
> > functional port for Pharo" and share it on some central place (github)?
> > Maybe some terse todo overview about classes and specific porting issues.
> >
> > In Udo's prior engagement on this list about porting Magma, I outlined
> > the list frameworks and test cases that would need to be ported in
> > dependency order.
> >
> > > I personaly can very slowly rewrite, for example, something about
> > file/dir access (use Pharo file system classes instead of Squeak
> > file/stream classes), but hardly something about hasihing, indexing or
> > something insisting deep knowledge about how Magma works internally. I am
> > interested in Magma, because the need of "just simple, but transactional
> > persistent object storage" annoys me frequently these days (GLORP or NoSQL
> > databases are not the proper answer for persisting Smalltalk/Pharo native
> > application domain models IMHO).
> > >
> > > Is there something like more detailed doc (but not functionally
> > obsolete), which would help me understand how the Magma works inside?
> >
> > This is an excellent, concise description.
> >
> >    http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/persistency/magma/workings
> >
> > > A know only about this historic wiki place:
> > > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665
> >
> > Inside that wiki is another PDF which describes the internals of
> > Magma's HashIndex files.
> >
> > Best,
> >   Chris

Re: Instance of FileDirectory class did not understand #default

Doug Rollwitz

Petr;

Ok, thank you for replying.

Doug