Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

123

Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Thierry Goubier
Hi all,

anybody knows how to get (and test) the 64bits version of the Pharo vm and image?

Thanks,

Thierry

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

EstebanLM
VM here: http://bintray.com/estebanlm/pharo-vm/build#files/

this is still not official (that’s why is not in official place) so there are a couple of known problems:

- version format is different, and that breaks some things in image that depends on it to know what happens
- command line is different and probably you’ll need to play a bit with options (one or two dashes).
- UFFI has some failing tests (but most of it works).

I would appreciate some help to report and/or fix the emerging problems.

cheers,
Esteban

Thierry

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Thierry Goubier

Thanks.

this is still not official (that’s why is not in official place) so there are a couple of known problems:

- version format is different, and that breaks some things in image that depends on it to know what happens
- command line is different and probably you’ll need to play a bit with options (one or two dashes).
- UFFI has some failing tests (but most of it works).

I would appreciate some help to report and/or fix the emerging problems.

I'll make myself a Makefile for it and test; if I see it stable enough, I'll try to use it on a regular basis and report.

Thierry

[...]

Report:

apart from the missing SSL support which makes loading complex stuff from github a bit painfull, it seems to be usable enough.

OSProcess and GitFileTree work fine. Which means gitfiletree:// urls work, but not github:// urls.

I loaded a large project (a compiler!) and saw no issues (apart from a freetype / wrong glyph issue?). All SmaCC tests are green on it, and my project tests were green as well.

On 28 Oct 2016, at 14:22, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

apart from the missing SSL support which makes loading complex stuff from github a bit painfull, it seems to be usable enough.

I should work on this :)

Esteban

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

kilon.alios
does 64 bit means that we can now take full advantage of the memory of our system and not have to adhere to a specific limit ? Is that something the current build does or is it planned for future releases ?

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 4:19 PM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 Oct 2016, at 14:22, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

apart from the missing SSL support which makes loading complex stuff from github a bit painfull, it seems to be usable enough.

I should work on this :)

Esteban

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

stepharo

Le 28/10/16 à 16:59, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
does 64 bit means that we can now take full advantage of the memory of our system

yes

and not have to adhere to a specific limit ?
well probably the one of your OS :)

Is that something the current build does or is it planned for future releases ?
This one.

Esteban

Esteban

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Thierry Goubier
Hi Esteban,

Le 28/10/2016 à 11:56, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
> VM here: http://bintray.com/estebanlm/pharo-vm/build#files/

What is the difference between the various x86_64 versions? I chose the
itimer one for my tests. The threaded one is the "run external calls in
their own thread" vm?

Thanks,

Thierry

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
OMG, this thing is for real:

A Pharo image using 20 GB virtual memory, about 6/7 GB for real on macOS Sierra, after playing around a bit allocating massive amounts of memory. Pharo in the above screenshot holds two 2 basic inspectors open on two different 1 GB byte arrays, after GC consuming about 2.2 GB.

This is a game changer.

Yeah !

2 ** 30 timesRepeat: [ Transcript crShow: 'Thank you !' ].

Image here: http://files.pharo.org/get-files/60/pharo-64.zip

this is still not official (that’s why is not in official place) so there are a couple of known problems:

- version format is different, and that breaks some things in image that depends on it to know what happens
- command line is different and probably you’ll need to play a bit with options (one or two dashes).
- UFFI has some failing tests (but most of it works).

I would appreciate some help to report and/or fix the emerging problems.

cheers,
Esteban

On 28 Oct 2016, at 10:39, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

anybody knows how to get (and test) the 64bits version of the Pharo vm and image?

Thanks,

Thierry

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Thierry,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Esteban,

Le 28/10/2016 à 11:56, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
VM here: http://bintray.com/estebanlm/pharo-vm/build#files/

What is the difference between the various x86_64 versions? I chose the itimer one for my tests. The threaded one is the "run external calls in their own thread" vm?

No.  The "threaded" one uses a separate thread for generating the heartbeat.  The timer one uses a signal-based interval timer.  You want the threaded one.  The signal-based implementation causes havoc with external code.

Thanks,

Thierry

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

On 29 Oct 2016, at 01:23, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Thierry,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Esteban,

Le 28/10/2016 à 11:56, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
VM here: http://bintray.com/estebanlm/pharo-vm/build#files/

What is the difference between the various x86_64 versions? I chose the itimer one for my tests. The threaded one is the "run external calls in their own thread" vm?

No.  The "threaded" one uses a separate thread for generating the heartbeat.  The timer one uses a signal-based interval timer.  You want the threaded one.  The signal-based implementation causes havoc with external code.

^ this.
but the threaded one requires a config on linux.
(executing it by command line will point you to the correct NOTE, just s/squeak/pharo :) )

Esteban

Thanks,

Thierry

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Thierry Goubier
Hi Eliot,

Le 29/10/2016 à 01:23, Eliot Miranda a écrit :

> Hi Thierry,
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Thierry Goubier
>
>     Hi Esteban,
>
>     Le 28/10/2016 à 11:56, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>
>         VM here: http://bintray.com/estebanlm/pharo-vm/build#files/
>         <http://bintray.com/estebanlm/pharo-vm/build#files/>
>

>     What is the difference between the various x86_64 versions? I chose
>     the itimer one for my tests. The threaded one is the "run external
>     calls in their own thread" vm?
>

> No.  The "threaded" one uses a separate thread for generating the
> heartbeat.  The timer one uses a signal-based interval timer.  You want
> the threaded one.  The signal-based implementation causes havoc with
> external code.

Thanks. I've also found the instructions for allowing the threaded one
under Linux.

Thierry

Le 28/10/2016 à 15:18, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :

>> On 28 Oct 2016, at 14:22, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> apart from the missing SSL support which makes loading complex stuff
>> from github a bit painfull, it seems to be usable enough.
>
> I should work on this :)

Anything we can be of help on this?

In the meantime, I'm becoming expert at writing wget requests to github
to get tarballs of smalltalk projects :)

Thierry

> Esteban

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Uko2
I cannot see the text I type into the Spotter’s search bar. Otherwise everything is great so far.

Uko

> On 29 Oct 2016, at 17:09, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 28/10/2016 à 15:18, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>>
>>> On 28 Oct 2016, at 14:22, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> apart from the missing SSL support which makes loading complex stuff
>>> from github a bit painfull, it seems to be usable enough.
>>
>> I should work on this :)
>
> Anything we can be of help on this?
>
> In the meantime, I'm becoming expert at writing wget requests to github to get tarballs of smalltalk projects :)
>
> Thierry
>
>> Esteban

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Uko2
And roassal is not working probably because of some Cairo bindings

> On 1 Nov 2016, at 10:39, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I cannot see the text I type into the Spotter’s search bar. Otherwise everything is great so far.
>
> Uko

>>> I should work on this :)
>>
>> Anything we can be of help on this?
>>
>> In the meantime, I'm becoming expert at writing wget requests to github to get tarballs of smalltalk projects :)
>>
>> Thierry
>>
>>> Esteban

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

Thierry Goubier
Hi Esteban,

Another question about Pharo 64 bits.

Why are libgit/libSDL/libssh included in the vm? Ubuntu 16.10 provides them with the same version numbers, more or less.
(libgit2 is so.0.24.0 on ubuntu instead of so.0.24.2 in the pharo vm, SDL and ssh are the exact same versions).

Collectively, those three libs are ~ 5M.

Thierry

VM here: http://bintray.com/estebanlm/pharo-vm/build#files/

this is still not official (that’s why is not in official place) so there are a couple of known problems:

- version format is different, and that breaks some things in image that depends on it to know what happens
- command line is different and probably you’ll need to play a bit with options (one or two dashes).
- UFFI has some failing tests (but most of it works).

I would appreciate some help to report and/or fix the emerging problems.

cheers,
Esteban

On 28 Oct 2016, at 10:39, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

anybody knows how to get (and test) the 64bits version of the Pharo vm and image?

Thanks,

Thierry

Re: Instructions for Pharo 6 64bits

CdAB63
BTW, the threaded version requires to be run as super user because it tries to do a pthread_setschedparam(). I tried to fiddle with /etc/security/limits.conf... but it's not something fancy to do...

Best regards,

Casimiro Barreto

--
The information contained in this message is confidential and intended to the recipients specified in the headers. If you received this message by error, notify the sender immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copy or alteration of this message are strictly forbidden and subjected to civil and criminal sanctions.

==

This email may be signed using PGP key ID: 0x4134A417

On 3 Nov 2016, at 19:12, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <[hidden email]> wrote:

BTW, the threaded version requires to be run as super user because it tries to do a pthread_setschedparam(). I tried to fiddle with /etc/security/limits.conf... but it's not something fancy to do…

no, is not hard.
you just need to add this file:

pharo.conf
* hard rtprio 2