Integrated interactive tutorial?

Malcolm Macgregor
At the top right of http://www.pharo-project.org/home is the heading "Get started now" Underneath is "Download Pharo ... Follow the integrated, interactive tutorial"

Where is the "integrated interactive tutorial"?

Re: Integrated interactive tutorial?

Damien Cassou
Hi Malcolm,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Malcolm Macgregor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At the top right of http://www.pharo-project.org/home is the heading "Get
> started now" Underneath is "Download Pharo ... Follow the integrated,
> interactive tutorial"
>
> Where is the "integrated interactive tutorial"?

Thank you for your message, you revealed a bug, the tutorial should be
in Pharo 1.4 and it's not. I will tell you in a few minutes how to
install it (I have to check if it still works and the server is
currently down). In the meantime, could you please re-ask your
question on stackoverflow.com? I will answer it there if that's ok. We
currently try to encourage people to post user questions there so the
answers get higher visibility and "archivability".

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Integrated interactive tutorial?

Malcolm Macgregor
Once you have placed it in the download image I'd be happy to download the image again - thereby killing two birds with one stone (i.e. getting the tutorial for me, and testing the download for everyone!)

Then again - I'm not sure I want the interactive tutorial (IT)!

Why have a separate IT and PEB?

Does IT have all the material in PEB?

Is it sensible to have an interactive tutorial inside Pharo?

The collaboractiv PEB enables readers to actively collaborate in fixing the bugs in the documentation.
How can you do this with the interactive tutorial?

If  IT & PEB cover the same material how do you manage version control and synchronization?

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Malcolm Macgregor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Once you have placed it in the download image I'd be happy to download the
> image again - thereby killing two birds with one stone (i.e. getting the
> tutorial for me, and testing the download for everyone!)

That won't happen until next Pharo 1.4 release

> Then again - I'm not sure I want the interactive tutorial (IT)!
> Why have a separate IT and PEB?

I will assume you are talking about PBE. They serve different users
and different moment in time. I can read PBE on the beach or in bed
before sleeping. Reading PBE is a long term process that will give you
a basic understanding of everything in Pharo. The interactive tutorial
is more something to start playing with Pharo when you just heard
about it and you want to try.

> The collaboractiv PEB enables readers to actively collaborate in fixing the
> bugs in the documentation.

yes. If you want, you can help by writing on the collabor'active book.