Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

in general there are three ways:

 1. serve files using an external server/location (Apache)
 2. create a WAFileLibrary
 3. let the Squeak webserver serve files from hard disk

1. is not good for portability, 2. bloats the image - so 3. may be your
option to choose.
You can do this either with an WAExternalFileLibrary implementation as Holger already explained or by serving the files directly using a file serving module for KomHttpServer:

For an example either have a look at "Webserver-tbn.4.mcz" in "www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace" or read http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/GettingSoftware/index.html

Bye
Torsten

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
I don't understand the issue with portability in having the static content served by a web server (apache, lighttpd, nginx).
In fact, it is not even practical to deploy an app (used for more than a couple users) without a kind of proxy/load balancer in front.
You can let the web server do what does the best, serving static content and the seaside to to what it does best, to run your app.

Never will Seaside, or comanche or (mongrel in ruby on rails case for the matter) be on par with a web server in serving static data.
And you don't have to have a lot of user to decide to upgrade from "all in the image" to using a "just the app in the image/else on webserver" setup.
From the very beginning you can use all the cpu cicles used for Seaside for your app and not for serving images (that you can't cache in the image as you can in a webserver for faster response, ideally, without disk access, all served from memory)

Miguel Cobá

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

in general there are three ways:

 1. serve files using an external server/location (Apache)
 2. create a WAFileLibrary
 3. let the Squeak webserver serve files from hard disk

1. is not good for portability, 2. bloats the image - so 3. may be your
option to choose.
You can do this either with an WAExternalFileLibrary implementation as Holger already explained or by serving the files directly using a file serving module for KomHttpServer:

For an example either have a look at "Webserver-tbn.4.mcz" in "www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace" or read http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/GettingSoftware/index.html

Bye
Torsten

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Philippe Marschall
my words

2008/4/23, Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]>:

> I don't understand the issue with portability in having the static content
> served by a web server (apache, lighttpd, nginx).
> In fact, it is not even practical to deploy an app (used for more than a
> couple users) without a kind of proxy/load balancer in front.
>  You can let the web server do what does the best, serving static content
> and the seaside to to what it does best, to run your app.
>
> Never will Seaside, or comanche or (mongrel in ruby on rails case for the
> matter) be on par with a web server in serving static data.
>  And you don't have to have a lot of user to decide to upgrade from "all in
> the image" to using a "just the app in the image/else on webserver" setup.
> From the very beginning you can use all the cpu cicles used for Seaside for
> your app and not for serving images (that you can't cache in the image as
> you can in a webserver for faster response, ideally, without disk access,
> all served from memory)
>
> Miguel Cobá
>

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in general there are three ways:
> >
> >  1. serve files using an external server/location (Apache)
> >  2. create a WAFileLibrary
> >  3. let the Squeak webserver serve files from hard disk
> >
> > 1. is not good for portability, 2. bloats the image - so 3. may be your
> > option to choose.
> > You can do this either with an WAExternalFileLibrary implementation as
> Holger already explained or by serving the files directly using a file
> serving module for KomHttpServer:
> >
> > For an example either have a look at "Webserver-tbn.4.mcz" in
> "www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace" or read
> http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/GettingSoftware/index.html
> >
> > Bye
> > Torsten
> > --
> > Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
> > Browser-Versionen downloaden:
> http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Janko Mivšek
Miguel Cobá wrote:

> I don't understand the issue with portability in having the static
> content served by a web server (apache, lighttpd, nginx).
> In fact, it is not even practical to deploy an app (used for more than a
> couple users) without a kind of proxy/load balancer in front.
> You can let the web server do what does the best, serving static content
> and the seaside to to what it does best, to run your app.
>
> Never will Seaside, or comanche or (mongrel in ruby on rails case for
> the matter) be on par with a web server in serving static data.
> And you don't have to have a lot of user to decide to upgrade from "all
> in the image" to using a "just the app in the image/else on webserver"
> setup.

Swazoo is actually able to come very close to Apache, able to serving
static content with 300Mbits/s on VW, that is 3 times saturation of 100M
Ethernet. This is enough throughput for all except really large websites
out there. And of course, you can always switch to Apache or something
similar later!

Start therefore with Swazoo as pure Smalltalk web server with all pros
of being in Smalltalk only, and when needed, switch to Apache. Any
you'll see, you won't need that switch soon!

Swazoo vs. Apache benchmark:
http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html

JAnko

>  From the very beginning you can use all the cpu cicles used for Seaside
> for your app and not for serving images (that you can't cache in the
> image as you can in a webserver for faster response, ideally, without
> disk access, all served from memory)
>
> Miguel Cobá
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     in general there are three ways:
>
>      1. serve files using an external server/location (Apache)
>      2. create a WAFileLibrary
>      3. let the Squeak webserver serve files from hard disk
>
>     1. is not good for portability, 2. bloats the image - so 3. may be your
>     option to choose.
>     You can do this either with an WAExternalFileLibrary implementation
>     as Holger already explained or by serving the files directly using a
>     file serving module for KomHttpServer:
>
>     For an example either have a look at "Webserver-tbn.4.mcz" in
>     "www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace
>     <http://www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace>" or read
>     http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/GettingSoftware/index.html
>
>     Bye
>     Torsten
>     --
>     Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
>     Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

2008/4/24 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Miguel Cobá wrote:
>
> > I don't understand the issue with portability in having the static content
> served by a web server (apache, lighttpd, nginx).
> > In fact, it is not even practical to deploy an app (used for more than a
> couple users) without a kind of proxy/load balancer in front.
> > You can let the web server do what does the best, serving static content
> and the seaside to to what it does best, to run your app.
> >
> > Never will Seaside, or comanche or (mongrel in ruby on rails case for the
> matter) be on par with a web server in serving static data.
> > And you don't have to have a lot of user to decide to upgrade from "all in
> the image" to using a "just the app in the image/else on webserver" setup.
> >

>  Swazoo is actually able to come very close to Apache, able to serving
> static content with 300Mbits/s on VW, that is 3 times saturation of 100M
> Ethernet. This is enough throughput for all except really large websites out
> there. And of course, you can always switch to Apache or something similar
> later!
But even in this case Swazoo will eat CPU cycles from Seaside because
VW (like Squeak) is single threaded.

Cheers
Philippe

Philippe Marschall wrote:

>>  Swazoo is actually able to come very close to Apache, able to serving
>> static content with 300Mbits/s on VW, that is 3 times saturation of 100M
>> Ethernet. This is enough throughput for all except really large websites out
>> there. And of course, you can always switch to Apache or something similar
>> later!

> But even in this case Swazoo will eat CPU cycles from Seaside because
> VW (like Squeak) is single threaded.

Yes, but minimally comparing to Seaside and also not on the same time.
The web page is namely generated and responded by Seaside first, then
images start to be served. So, if you serve only one user, this is not
an issue. Even if you serve many users from the same image, you still
eat much more CPU by dynamic page generation with Seaside that static
serving by Swazoo. That's at least my judgment from experiences with
Swazoo and Aida/Web on VW, which should be similar to Seaside case in
that respect.

JAnko

> Cheers
> Philippe
>
>>  Start therefore with Swazoo as pure Smalltalk web server with all pros of
>> being in Smalltalk only, and when needed, switch to Apache. Any you'll see,
>> you won't need that switch soon!
>>
>>  Swazoo vs. Apache benchmark:
>>  http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html
>>
>>  JAnko
>>

>>>  From the very beginning you can use all the cpu cicles used for Seaside
>> for your app and not for serving images (that you can't cache in the image
>> as you can in a webserver for faster response, ideally, without disk access,
>> all served from memory)
>>> Miguel Cobá
>>>

>>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>    Hi,
>>>
>>>    in general there are three ways:
>>>
>>>     1. serve files using an external server/location (Apache)
>>>     2. create a WAFileLibrary
>>>     3. let the Squeak webserver serve files from hard disk
>>>
>>>    1. is not good for portability, 2. bloats the image - so 3. may be your
>>>    option to choose.
>>>    You can do this either with an WAExternalFileLibrary implementation
>>>    as Holger already explained or by serving the files directly using a
>>>    file serving module for KomHttpServer:
>>>
>>>    For an example either have a look at "Webserver-tbn.4.mcz" in
>>>    "www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace
>>>    <http://www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace>" or read
>>>

>> http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/GettingSoftware/index.html
>>>    Bye
>>>    Torsten
>>>    --
>>>    Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
>>>    Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

>>  --
>>  Janko Mivšek
>>  AIDA/Web
>>  Smalltalk Web Application Server
>>  http://www.aidaweb.si

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Philippe Marschall
2008/4/24 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>

> > >  Swazoo is actually able to come very close to Apache, able to serving
> > > static content with 300Mbits/s on VW, that is 3 times saturation of 100M
> > > Ethernet. This is enough throughput for all except really large websites
> out
> > > there. And of course, you can always switch to Apache or something
> similar
> > > later!
> > >

> > But even in this case Swazoo will eat CPU cycles from Seaside because
> > VW (like Squeak) is single threaded.
> >

>  Yes, but minimally comparing to Seaside and also not on the same time.
At least on Squeak / Kom large uploads hog the CPU / image. This is
not minimal at all.

> The
> web page is namely generated and responded by Seaside first, then images
> start to be served.

No modern browsers to not work this way:
http://webkit.org/blog/166/optimizing-page-loading-in-web-browser/

Cheers
Philippe

> So, if you serve only one user, this is not an issue.
> Even if you serve many users from the same image, you still eat much more
> CPU by dynamic page generation with Seaside that static serving by Swazoo.
> That's at least my judgment from experiences with Swazoo and Aida/Web on VW,
> which should be similar to Seaside case in that respect.
>
>  JAnko
>

> > Cheers
> > Philippe
> >

> > >  Start therefore with Swazoo as pure Smalltalk web server with all pros
> of
> > > being in Smalltalk only, and when needed, switch to Apache. Any you'll
> see,
> > > you won't need that switch soon!
> > >
> > >  Swazoo vs. Apache benchmark:
> > >  http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html
> > >
> > >  JAnko

> Seaside
> > > >
> > > for your app and not for serving images (that you can't cache in the
> image
> > > as you can in a webserver for faster response, ideally, without disk
> access,
> > > all served from memory)

> your

> http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/GettingSoftware/index.html

> > >  --
> > >  Janko Mivšek
> > >  AIDA/Web
> > >  Smalltalk Web Application Server
> > >  http://www.aidaweb.si

>  --
>  Janko Mivšek
>  AIDA/Web
>  Smalltalk Web Application Server
>  http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

John Thornborrow
Regarding option 2, it does not need to bloat the image and answers
option 3.

ExampleFileLibrary>>examplefilePng
  ^FileStream fileNamed: 'examplefile.png' binary contents

Hope this helps,
John

--
John Thornborrow
http://www.pinesoft.co.uk

******************************************************************************************************************************************
This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Pinesoft Limited are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

John Thornborrow
Correction (brackets):

--
John Thornborrow
http://www.pinesoft.co.uk

******************************************************************************************************************************************
[...]

cedreek
2008/4/24, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/4/24 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Philippe Marschall wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > >
>  > > >  Swazoo is actually able to come very close to Apache, able to serving
>  > > > static content with 300Mbits/s on VW, that is 3 times saturation of 100M
>  > > > Ethernet. This is enough throughput for all except really large websites
>  > out
>  > > > there. And of course, you can always switch to Apache or something
>  > similar
>  > > > later!
>  > > >
>  > >
>  >
>  >
>  > > But even in this case Swazoo will eat CPU cycles from Seaside because
>  > > VW (like Squeak) is single threaded.
>  > >
>  >
>  >  Yes, but minimally comparing to Seaside and also not on the same time.
>
> At least on Squeak / Kom large uploads hog the CPU / image. This is
>  not minimal at all.

So next question, would it be possible to launch two squeak images ?
One that only serves static files with Swazoo.
And one for seaiside/aida. If I understand correctly

It will certainly hog a bit the cpu but not the image doing "dynamic
web". Just I don't know how to deal with both images, maybe a specific
handler on the web one...

I personnaly have no opposition using Apache or whatever, but this
will be far easier to setup especially for small experiments,
developping time etc.... You can carry all on a usb key, just lauch
the image and here it is (I think this is what people mean by
portability).

Personnaly, I found easier to evaluate WAKom startOn: 8080 than
configuring Apache ;) and it would be a nice example on how to
interact with 2 images. Any ideas ? oppositions ?

Cheers

Cédrick

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
Yes, maybe in some context the portability of a "server" application have any advantage.
But, in Seaside you are writing webapps. WEB apps, not desktop apps or usb transportable apps.
For a lot of us, having a server, a real server serving our application is worth the hassle of setting up a web server, load balancing
a lot of squeak images and caching the static content in the web server.
I see just a few valid scenarios where having your web app in a usb memory stick is better than a real instalation accessed for
anyone on the internet.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:06 AM, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/4/24, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/4/24 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Philippe Marschall wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > >
>  > > >  Swazoo is actually able to come very close to Apache, able to serving
>  > > > static content with 300Mbits/s on VW, that is 3 times saturation of 100M
>  > > > Ethernet. This is enough throughput for all except really large websites
>  > out
>  > > > there. And of course, you can always switch to Apache or something
>  > similar
>  > > > later!
>  > > >
>  > >
>  >
>  >
>  > > But even in this case Swazoo will eat CPU cycles from Seaside because
>  > > VW (like Squeak) is single threaded.
>  > >
>  >
>  >  Yes, but minimally comparing to Seaside and also not on the same time.
>
> At least on Squeak / Kom large uploads hog the CPU / image. This is
>  not minimal at all.

So next question, would it be possible to launch two squeak images ?
One that only serves static files with Swazoo.
And one for seaiside/aida. If I understand correctly

It will certainly hog a bit the cpu but not the image doing "dynamic
web". Just I don't know how to deal with both images, maybe a specific
handler on the web one...

I personnaly have no opposition using Apache or whatever, but this
will be far easier to setup especially for small experiments,
developping time etc.... You can carry all on a usb key, just lauch
the image and here it is (I think this is what people mean by
portability).

Personnaly, I found easier to evaluate WAKom startOn: 8080 than
configuring Apache ;) and it would be a nice example on how to
interact with 2 images. Any ideas ? oppositions ?

Cheers

Cédrick

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

cedreek
> Yes, maybe in some context the portability of a "server" application have
> any advantage.
> But, in Seaside you are writing webapps.
ok

> WEB apps,

ok

> not desktop apps or usb
> transportable apps.

why not?

> For a lot of us, having a server, a real server serving our application is
> worth the hassle of setting up a web server, load balancing
>  a lot of squeak images and caching the static content in the web server.

I agree and I learned how to do that...

> I see just a few valid scenarios where having your web app in a usb memory
> stick is better than a real instalation accessed for
> anyone on the internet.

so they have some. Anyway, probably serving (file and dynamic content)
in one image is enough for development so forget my request (which was
more for fun than anything else ;) )...

Cédrick

Re: Integrating Images on a website. Don't want to use Apache or WAFileLibrary.

Michael Rueger-6
Miguel Cobá wrote:
> Yes, maybe in some context the portability of a "server" application
> have any advantage.
> But, in Seaside you are writing webapps. WEB apps, not desktop apps or
> usb transportable apps.
> For a lot of us, having a server, a real server serving our application
> is worth the hassle of setting up a web server, load balancing
> a lot of squeak images and caching the static content in the web server.

Speaking of which: has anybody any experience with Seaside/Aida and
Apache XSendfile?

http://john.guen.in/past/2007/4/17/send_files_faster_with_xsendfile/

Michael

Miguel Cobá wrote:
> Very interesting post.

So I guess the answer is "no"? ;-)

Was pointed to it by a friend who is working with rails...

Michael

2008/4/24, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]>:

> Miguel Cobá wrote:
>
> > Yes, maybe in some context the portability of a "server" application have
> any advantage.
> > But, in Seaside you are writing webapps. WEB apps, not desktop apps or usb
> transportable apps.
> > For a lot of us, having a server, a real server serving our application is
> worth the hassle of setting up a web server, load balancing
> > a lot of squeak images and caching the static content in the web server.
> >

>  Speaking of which: has anybody any experience with Seaside/Aida and Apache
> XSendfile?
>
> http://john.guen.in/past/2007/4/17/send_files_faster_with_xsendfile/
This sounds really interesting.

Cheers