Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

BrunoBB
Hi,

Does anyone used Gettext to achieve internationalization in a Seaside application ?

I'm about to add multi-language support to my application (english and spanish for now) and i want to know if anyone has experience with Gettext framework.

The other simple solution will be send #localize or #translate to all String in my web application.
Something like:
String
localize
   ^self currentUserLanguage translate: self

Any thought is welcome...

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

Paul DeBruicker
Have you seen this article on the Seaside wiki?

https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Gettext

BrunoBB wrote

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

BrunoBB
Hi,

Yes i read it. But i was looking for someone that actual used Gettext in project.

To share his experience with Gettext. I do not know if Gettext is complicated to use.

I think i'm going to do some test with Gettext in order to decide to whether or not use it.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: [Glass] Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

GLASS mailing list
We are pretty happy with the support we have in
QCMagritte. At the time we looked at it, we
found the tool support for getText not much
better than that achievable with Excel.
I know Johan uses getText. GetText is a standard
that external translators know. With QCMagritte
we just build a web application for them to log in to.
It should be pretty easy to extract the i18n parts
for your application.

QCMagritte provides a visitor that walks your magritte descriptions
and knows properties that might need translation.
With those (and any extra terms you add directly) it builds up a
dictionary of terms to translate. It provides a web UI where the
translations can be entered and supports loading from and
saving to utf8 csv. When generating the seaside components,
it supports chaining multiple visitors to separate concerns
(translation, bootstrap layout, access control).
In a system with users, it allows a user to set her preferred
language to be used in the application.
Unavailable translations just show the translation key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTut44Xs3_U

To try download a QCMagritte image from
        https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/QCMagritte/

start a seaside adapter
        ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8081.

browse to the qcmagritte application.
        http://localhost:8081/qcmagritte

tutorial is at
        http://localhost:8081/

Re: [Glass] Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

GLASS mailing list
I'm pretty sure that Johan has worked with Gettext on both Pharo and
GemStone, so that stuff should be working in the latest version of
Seaside31 ... I just peeked and there a couple Gettest example classes
available... haven't used it myself.

Dale

On 03/20/2015 12:14 PM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes i read it. But i was looking for someone that actual used Gettext in
> project.
>
> To share his experience with Gettext. I do not know if Gettext is
> complicated to use.
>
> I think i'm going to do some test with Gettext in order to decide to whether
> or not use it.
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

Re: [Glass] Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

GLASS mailing list
Yesplan uses Gettext.

There’s not much to it [1].
The Gettext implementation (and it’s Seaside extension) might need some love but they do they job.

Obviously, it’s working in Gemstone as well.

[1] https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Gettext

> On 20 Mar 2015, at 20:50, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm pretty sure that Johan has worked with Gettext on both Pharo and GemStone, so that stuff should be working in the latest version of Seaside31 ... I just peeked and there a couple Gettest example classes available... haven't used it myself.
>
> Dale
>

> On 03/20/2015 12:14 PM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes i read it. But i was looking for someone that actual used Gettext in
>> project.
>>
>> To share his experience with Gettext. I do not know if Gettext is
>> complicated to use.
>>
>> I think i'm going to do some test with Gettext in order to decide to whether
>> or not use it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bruno

Re: [Glass] Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

BrunoBB
Hi All,

Returning to translation...
From: https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Gettext

Do i need Pier installed ?  (step 3)

In my system i do not have WAGetTextExporter class ?

Is this class from Pier ?

Versions:
Gettext-GemStone-JohanBrichau.2
Seaside-Gettext-Core-WillemVanDenEnde.11

Regards,
Bruno

Re: [Glass] Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

GLASS mailing list
That class was never ported to Gemstone. It’s only necessary to export the translation file and thus is required in development only.
Since we develop in Pharo and deploy on Gemstone, we never ported it.

So you need to load your app in Pharo and generate the translation file from there.

Johan

> On 06 Apr 2015, at 01:26, BrunoBB via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Returning to translation...
> From: https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Gettext
>
> Do i need Pier installed ?  (step 3)
>
> In my system i do not have WAGetTextExporter class ?
>
> Is this class from Pier ?
>
> Versions:
> Gettext-GemStone-JohanBrichau.2
> Seaside-Gettext-Core-WillemVanDenEnde.11
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

Re: [Glass] Internationalization Gettext with Seaside

BrunoBB
Hi,

Is only that class ?

It will be easy for me to port one class than port my app from GemStone to Pharo ?
(i develop with Jade -directly into GemStone-).

regards,
bruno