Internationalization of tab controls

Vincent Lesbros-2
Hi,

How can I do the Internationalization of tab control ?
In the GUI painter there is no place for lookup keys neither Catalog
in the list of item for a tab control.

VisualWorks® Personal Use Edition, 7.9.1 of 18 octobre 2012

Vincent

Re: Internationalization of tab controls

Kooyman, Les
[vwnc] Internationalization of tab controls
Vincent:

You're right, the various GUI components you can drop into a canvas aren't uniformly internationalized.

As a workaround for the moment, if you give a graphic component a unique name, you should be able to adjust it at runtime, perhaps in the postBuild method. You might have to look up the message yourself in the catalog of choice and then specify the answered string to the tab control label in the appropriate variable.

More to the point, we're doing work on cleaning up straggling internationalization features in 7.11. I can't be more specific about this one, because it overlaps the GUI/Tools work, but I expect to be working closely with that team over the course of the development of that release, and I'm aware that some of the widgets are less-evolved than others in this respect.

Thanks for bringing this up, I hope you can cobble together a suitable workaround for now.

Les Kooyman
Cincom Smalltalk Development

Re: Internationalization of tab controls

Mark Pirogovsky-3
The easiest solutions is to Create a menu(tabsMenu ) with the
international strings and then use the menu as the tab labels.
Suppose you created the Tab control and assign the "tabs" as aspect.

Then you create a method

tabs
     tabs isNil
         ifTrue:
             [(tabs := SelectionInList with: self tabsMenu menuItems)
selectionIndex: 1].
     ^tabs

Hope this helps

--Mark Pirogovsky