InterpreterSimulator reloaded

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

I tried to make the IneterpreterSimulator working on and with latest
images. The result is a Pharo image that you can download here:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=5897

It is still far from perfect however it can be used for simulations of
small headless images etc. It would be great if some VM guy will help
with integration of the changes.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

simulator2.png (199K) Download Attachment
simulator1 (256K) Download Attachment

Re: InterpreterSimulator reloaded

Pavel Krivanek-3
I collected the changes from the image. See the attachment.

To load the simulator in Pharo 1.3 do:

Gofer new
     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
     package: 'ConfigurationOfVMMaker';
     load.

(ConfigurationOfVMMaker project version: '1.5') load.

proceed all deprecation warnings...
load the attached fix.
run the simulator:

(InterpreterSimulator new openOn: 'cuis.image') test

A good option is the Juan's small Cuis image (1.9MB with some next
shrinking). The classical mini.image doesn't work on this version of
the interpreter.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Pavel Krivanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to make the IneterpreterSimulator working on and with latest
> images. The result is a Pharo image that you can download here:
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=5897
>
> It is still far from perfect however it can be used for simulations of
> small headless images etc. It would be great if some VM guy will help
> with integration of the changes.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

InterpreterSimulatorFix.1.cs (36K) Download Attachment

Re: InterpreterSimulator reloaded

David T. Lewis
Pavel,

Thank you! I am CC'ing the vm-dev list with a copy of your change
set to update the interpreter simulator.

Dave

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 11:25:21PM +0100, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> I collected the changes from the image. See the attachment.
>
> To load the simulator in Pharo 1.3 do:
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>      package: 'ConfigurationOfVMMaker';
>      load.
>
> (ConfigurationOfVMMaker project version: '1.5') load.
>
> proceed all deprecation warnings...
> load the attached fix.
> run the simulator:
>
> (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: 'cuis.image') test
>
> A good option is the Juan's small Cuis image (1.9MB with some next
> shrinking). The classical mini.image doesn't work on this version of
> the interpreter.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel
>

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Pavel Krivanek
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to make the IneterpreterSimulator working on and with latest
> > images. The result is a Pharo image that you can download here:
> >
> > https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=5897
> >
> > It is still far from perfect however it can be used for simulations of
> > small headless images etc. It would be great if some VM guy will help
> > with integration of the changes.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -- Pavel

InterpreterSimulatorFix.1.cs (29K) Download Attachment

Re: InterpreterSimulator reloaded

Thanks pavel
These are the changes you changed to david? so normally we do have to take actions?

Stef

On Mar 8, 2011, at 11:25 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> I collected the changes from the image. See the attachment.
>
> To load the simulator in Pharo 1.3 do:
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfVMMaker';
>     load.
>
> (ConfigurationOfVMMaker project version: '1.5') load.
>
> proceed all deprecation warnings...
> load the attached fix.
> run the simulator:
>
> (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: 'cuis.image') test
>
> A good option is the Juan's small Cuis image (1.9MB with some next
> shrinking). The classical mini.image doesn't work on this version of
> the interpreter.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel
>

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Pavel Krivanek
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to make the IneterpreterSimulator working on and with latest
>> images. The result is a Pharo image that you can download here:
>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=5897
>>
>> It is still far from perfect however it can be used for simulations of
>> small headless images etc. It would be great if some VM guy will help
>> with integration of the changes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- Pavel
>>
> <InterpreterSimulatorFix.1.cs>

Re: InterpreterSimulator reloaded

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi Stef,

yes. I would chnage the packages on SqueakSource directly but in case
of VMMaker we must pay attention to compatibility of forks etc.

If I look at ConfigurationOfVMMaker hacks, it is not the right way how
the interfork project should be done.

-- Pavel

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks pavel
> These are the changes you changed to david? so normally we do have to take actions?
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 8, 2011, at 11:25 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
>> I collected the changes from the image. See the attachment.
>>
>> To load the simulator in Pharo 1.3 do:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfVMMaker';
>>     load.
>>
>> (ConfigurationOfVMMaker project version: '1.5') load.
>>
>> proceed all deprecation warnings...
>> load the attached fix.
>> run the simulator:
>>
>> (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: 'cuis.image') test
>>
>> A good option is the Juan's small Cuis image (1.9MB with some next
>> shrinking). The classical mini.image doesn't work on this version of
>> the interpreter.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- Pavel
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Pavel Krivanek
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried to make the IneterpreterSimulator working on and with latest
>>> images. The result is a Pharo image that you can download here:
>>>
>>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=5897
>>>
>>> It is still far from perfect however it can be used for simulations of
>>> small headless images etc. It would be great if some VM guy will help
>>> with integration of the changes.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -- Pavel
>>>
>> <InterpreterSimulatorFix.1.cs>

Re: InterpreterSimulator reloaded

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 9, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> yes. I would chnage the packages on SqueakSource directly but in case
> of VMMaker we must pay attention to compatibility of forks etc.
Yes I imagine

> If I look at ConfigurationOfVMMaker hacks, it is not the right way how
> the interfork project should be done.

I do not know ConfigurationOfVMMaker
What is the problem?

Stef

> -- Pavel
>
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks pavel
>> These are the changes you changed to david? so normally we do have to take actions?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Mar 8, 2011, at 11:25 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>>
>>> I collected the changes from the image. See the attachment.
>>>
>>> To load the simulator in Pharo 1.3 do:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfVMMaker';
>>>     load.
>>>
>>> (ConfigurationOfVMMaker project version: '1.5') load.
>>>
>>> proceed all deprecation warnings...
>>> load the attached fix.
>>> run the simulator:
>>>
>>> (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: 'cuis.image') test
>>>
>>> A good option is the Juan's small Cuis image (1.9MB with some next
>>> shrinking). The classical mini.image doesn't work on this version of
>>> the interpreter.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -- Pavel

>>> <InterpreterSimulatorFix.1.cs>

Re: InterpreterSimulator reloaded

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> yes. I would chnage the packages on SqueakSource directly but in case
>> of VMMaker we must pay attention to compatibility of forks etc.
> Yes I imagine
>
>> If I look at ConfigurationOfVMMaker hacks, it is not the right way how
>> the interfork project should be done.
>
> I do not know ConfigurationOfVMMaker
> What is the problem?

It does contain several methods like:

fixVMMakerForPharo

(Smalltalk at:#SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator) compile:
' 'ccgValBlock: valString ...

Cheers,
-- Pavel