Inti demo

akevalion
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Inti demo

abergel
Inti is a code profiler that output a very nice interactive sunburst visualization to complement the textual tree of MessageTally.

The video is short and shows the comparison of two profiles. This is still very early work. More to show at esug.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Jun 20, 2014, at 5:36 PM, milton mamani <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I've been working on Inti, you can watch a simple demo of this.

Best regards,
Milton

Re: Inti demo

Tudor Girba-2
Pretty cool. I already used it for the demo at NDC :)

But, for integrating with the GTInspector, I had to strip it down a bit (no buttons, no space between concentric circles). You can find my modifications here:
Gofer new
smalltalkhubUser: 'girba' project: 'GPlay';
package: 'Inti';
load

Cheers,
Doru

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Inti is a code profiler that output a very nice interactive sunburst visualization to complement the textual tree of MessageTally.

The video is short and shows the comparison of two profiles. This is still very early work. More to show at esug.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Jun 20, 2014, at 5:36 PM, milton mamani <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I've been working on Inti, you can watch a simple demo of this.

Best regards,
Milton

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Inti demo

abergel
Thanks Doru!
We will have a look

Alexandre

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Inti demo

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Milton,

I am sorry I did not manage to provide more feedback sooner. It was on my todo list, but I did not manage to find the time.

I think that for the inspector, Inti should first offer a visualization without bells and whistles. The interaction should be plain and only offer the name of the method. It is already effective at showing the tree, and when combined with the source code that can be shown on the next pane is quite powerful. I would only add the tally of each node in the popup text so that the user gets an idea of how the amount of time.

An important feature would be auto-zooming to fit the existing space. The nice thing about sunburst is that it is scalable, and it would be great to take advantage of this feature and always zoom to show the entire picture at once. I think this is work at the level of Roassal.

Highlighting is quite an intriguing idea, but I think it needs more work. Here are a couple of other examples that go in the same direction:
- rather than having a menu action for the entire visualization, you could add it to the contextual menu of each node. Like this, I can choose at any moment to highlight the class or a package related to a method I see.
- another idea would be to somehow provide a list of all classes that are involved and allow the use to click on them and associate colors to them.
- yet another idea would be to provide a slider to denote a cuttoff time.

Yet another idea that is not about interaction would be to provide a gradient to show the amount of local time spent on each node.

In any case, please do keep up the good work. As I said, I would want to have this integrated in GTInspector by default at least in the simple form.

Cheers,
Doru

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM, milton mamani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Doru!

Thank you for your work on Inti. Just I have a few questions
  • what do you think about the "highlight menu"?
  • what interactions you think should be over the sunburst visualization?
Milton

"Every thing has its own flow"