Intro and Invalid UTF8 message

Ron Jeffries
Hi ... Ron Jeffries here. Long time (and long ago) Smalltalk user.
Loving Pharo so far. However, I'm having some issues getting it set
up nicely in Windows, especially Windows 7.

I used the Windows one-click installer (and have also tried the zip
file). Either way, Windows does not appear to recognize that Pharo
is installed, so that when I try to set up a file association,
pharo.exe doesn't get associated.

(At one point, I did something that got it partly associated, but
even then if i would click a .image file, I got a UTF8 error and the
original image wound up opening.)

It does work to drag a saved image onto pharo.exe. That's not quite
as convenient as it might be but is livable certainly.

So I'm looking for a pointer to some advice on setting Pharo up on
Windows XP and Windows 7.

Thanks,

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
www.xprogramming.com/blog
In programming, do, or undo. There is always try.  --Yoda

Re: Intro and Invalid UTF8 message

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi ron

Nice to see you here. I would love to see pharo getting extended to better support TDD.
I know that hernan improved the situation but with that and some scaffolding it would be great.

> Hi ... Ron Jeffries here. Long time (and long ago) Smalltalk user.
> Loving Pharo so far. However, I'm having some issues getting it set
> up nicely in Windows, especially Windows 7.

We are working on 1.1 it is much faster :)

> I used the Windows one-click installer (and have also tried the zip
> file). Either way, Windows does not appear to recognize that Pharo
> is installed, so that when I try to set up a file association,
> pharo.exe doesn't get associated.

The one-click on windows does not like that we drop another image than the one
it contains.
What I suggest is that you install the VM which is inside the one-Click and use it directly.
I'm not on windows so others will probably let if what I'm saying is true.

> (At one point, I did something that got it partly associated, but
> even then if i would click a .image file, I got a UTF8 error and the
> original image wound up opening.)

Yes this is a Squeak-vm and oneClick setup limit.

> It does work to drag a saved image onto pharo.exe. That's not quite
> as convenient as it might be but is livable certainly.
>
> So I'm looking for a pointer to some advice on setting Pharo up on
> Windows XP and Windows 7.

I will let other reply :)

> Thanks,
>
> Ron Jeffries
> www.XProgramming.com
> www.xprogramming.com/blog
> In programming, do, or undo. There is always try.  --Yoda

Re: Intro and Invalid UTF8 message

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Ron Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ... Ron Jeffries here. Long time (and long ago) Smalltalk user.

Hi Ron! Very nice to have such a big person like you in the list :)
I always like the combination of Smalltalk + Agile methodologies

Loving Pharo so far. However, I'm having some issues getting it set
up nicely in Windows, especially Windows 7.

I used the Windows one-click installer (and have also tried the zip
file). Either way, Windows does not appear to recognize that Pharo
is installed, so that when I try to set up a file association,
pharo.exe doesn't get associated.

(At one point, I did something that got it partly associated, but
even then if i would click a .image file, I got a UTF8 error and the
original image wound up opening.)

There was a similar problem few weeks ago. Can you please take a look and see if it is the same problem:

http://forum.world.st/Error-invalid-utf8-input-detected-td2068483.html#a2068483

That time, I opened the issue:

It does work to drag a saved image onto pharo.exe. That's not quite
as convenient as it might be but is livable certainly.

So I'm looking for a pointer to some advice on setting Pharo up on
Windows XP and Windows 7.

Check the link I gave you. I think it may be of help.

Cheers

Mariano

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ron

Nice to see you here. I would love to see pharo getting extended to better support TDD.
I know that hernan improved the situation but with that and some scaffolding it would be great.

> Hi ... Ron Jeffries here. Long time (and long ago) Smalltalk user.
> Loving Pharo so far. However, I'm having some issues getting it set
> up nicely in Windows, especially Windows 7.

We are working on 1.1 it is much faster :)

> I used the Windows one-click installer (and have also tried the zip
> file). Either way, Windows does not appear to recognize that Pharo
> is installed, so that when I try to set up a file association,
> pharo.exe doesn't get associated.

The one-click on windows does not like that we drop another image than the one
it contains.
What I suggest is that you install the VM which is inside the one-Click and use it directly.
I'm not on windows so others will probably let if what I'm saying is true.

> (At one point, I did something that got it partly associated, but
> even then if i would click a .image file, I got a UTF8 error and the
> original image wound up opening.)

Yes this is a Squeak-vm and oneClick setup limit.

> It does work to drag a saved image onto pharo.exe. That's not quite
> as convenient as it might be but is livable certainly.
>
> So I'm looking for a pointer to some advice on setting Pharo up on
> Windows XP and Windows 7.

I will let other reply :)