Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Carla F. Griggio
Hi everyone!
Well, here I am announcing the resulting project of my GSoC experience during the [your] summer: smallUML, a project to help us building diagrams and sharing them with any package of code.
My mentor was Stephane Ducasse and my co-mentor Geert Claes, so thanks to them for the guidance up to now, and also to Fernando Olivero who helped me a lot (hope to do some coding with you at ESUG! :P).

You can gofer it:

Gofer it
    squeaksource: 'smallUML';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSmallUML';
    load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSmallUML) project latestVersion load.

And then open the Diagram Browser of the current little examples evaluating:

DiagramDrawingDocumentation openDiagramBrowser  .

This is beta and I'm still working on it, my work will continue after GSoC's deadline, so of course your welcome to give some feedback and think about what features would you like it to have and if you're confortable with the current features. It would be really nice if this helped to get all Pharo projects more documented, with visual diagrams that help understanding them at a glance.

Talking about that... the current features are:
  • Open a Diagram Browser for an existing Category Diagrams Holder (this is a class ment to hold the created diagrams and there should be one per category, for now; you can browse DiagramDrawingDocumentation to see an example)
  • Create and edit diagrams programatically describing them with "diagram code" (the diagram code it's just a protocol of methods meant to describe diagrams, you can see some diagram code browsing DiagramDrawingDocumentation methods or each Class Box in the Diagram Browser)
  • Every diagram you build through the Diagram Browser it's saved as "diagram code", so you can share it as code that will reproduce your diagram :) That means that diagrams can 'travel' along it's package when you commit your changes with Monticello! And then they can be edited by anybody, they're not just a pretty picture.
  • You can export your diagram as a PNG picture or you can export it's "diagram code" as a workspace.
  • Only Class Diagrams can be built for now.
  • Class Boxes of a class diagram can be dragged to be easily positioned.
Some details that are missing:
  • It's funny, but I can't center the class boxes title! :P
  • I tried adding some scrollbars to the "whiteboard" where you can view your diagrams in the Diagram Browser, but if I did that the drag & drop of the class boxes worked funny :( I'll ask about that to you later.
On the way:
  • Tests and documentation, and a screencast showing every feature.
  • Lots of refactors: as I'm adding more kind of diagrams right now, so I'm doing a lot of refactors to make everything more flexible and improving all the messy code there.
  • A version of Minimal Connectors for anybody to use if they feel like connecting morphs for another project.
  • Some usability improvements.
  • Object diagrams
  • Sequence diagrams
  • Your feedback :D

So I'd really appreciate if you can give it a try and tell me how you feel about it, I'd like it to be very usable.

Cheers!

Carla

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Tudor Girba
I took a quick look, and it looks quite nice!

Here is a bit of feedback:
- I would prefer to have the menus for manipulating entities directly
on the canvas, and not in the panes below
- It looks like the last character from the name of the class gets
trimmed
- sometimes the last character from the names of the methods appears
on the next row
- When trying to create a box from existing class, I get DNU when the
class does not exist. Here I would expect to have the option of
selecting this class from a list, not to know it upfront
- I would prefer another notation for interfaces vs. classes. Right
now you have two borders on top of each other: solid for those
entities that can hold code, and dotted for those that cannot be
instantiated. I would prefer to have only one border with different
thicknesses or different shades of gray to denote code, and italic
text to denote abstractness (for traits and interfaces).

I am not sure if it matters, but I have to mention that I tested in on
a Pharo 1.1 on a CogVM.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Aug 2010, at 16:56, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> [...]
> view your diagrams in the Diagram Browser, but if I did that the
> drag & drop of the class boxes worked funny :( I'll ask about that
> to you later.
> On the way:
> • Tests and documentation, and a screencast showing every feature.
> • Lots of refactors: as I'm adding more kind of diagrams right now,
> so I'm doing a lot of refactors to make everything more flexible and
> improving all the messy code there.
> • A version of Minimal Connectors for anybody to use if they feel
> like connecting morphs for another project.
> • Some usability improvements.
> • Object diagrams
> • Sequence diagrams
> • Your feedback :D
>
> So I'd really appreciate if you can give it a try and tell me how
> you feel about it, I'd like it to be very usable.

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Tudor Girba
And some more feedback:
- It would be nice to be able to add comments
- When creating a new diagram, the new diagram should be selected by
default (right now it is not predictable)

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Carla F. Griggio
Thanks Doru :D

Whoops, I forgot to mention: I developed this project mostly in a Pharo1.1 version but not the last one, and when I tested it in the last 1.1 version I noticed what you said:

- It looks like the last character from the name of the class gets trimmed
- sometimes the last character from the names of the methods appears on the next row

But this is because of NewTextMorph>>fitToParagraph and it's fixed in Pharo 1.2, so I left it as that until the new Pharo dev version is ready :$

About the other things:

- I would prefer to have the menus for manipulating entities directly on the canvas, and not in the panes below

Great, I'm planning to do that, and also make the boxes editable, so you can write and modify the text without using the little workspace below, and Mariano suggested me to be able to browse classes from the boxes too. What other features would you like to add specifically?

- When trying to create a box from existing class, I get DNU when the class does not exist. Here I would expect to have the option of selecting this class from a list, not to know it upfront

Oops, thanks, I'll check that. You can choose an existing class from a list if that class is in the same package your documenting. I didn't do that for any existing class because they would be too many. Do you think of a better option? Maybe adding autocompletion of the class name?

- I would prefer another notation for interfaces vs. classes. Right now you have two borders on top of each other: solid for those entities that can hold code, and dotted for those that cannot be instantiated. I would prefer to have only one border with different thicknesses or different shades of gray to denote code, and italic text to denote abstractness (for traits and interfaces).

That's interesting and it's the kind of feedback I'm most looking for. I chose dashed lines for things you can't instantiate because that's the convention for interfaces in UML that I use at collage, and I thought of a variant of that for trait boxes. But I'm not 100% sure about the styling I chose. The same applies for arrows and the relationships lines.
A little note upside the boxes like <<trait>> or <<interface>> would work also, although I'm afraid they could overlap with connections :/
I'll think about that, but I'd also like to have more opinions from the (hopefully) future users :) Different colors or shades of gray / black could work, I'd prefer not changing the border thickness between boxes.

And I chose underlined italic style for Class Instance Variables, but I'm not sure about that either. The underline convention is for Class Variables, but what about Class Instance Variables?

I am not sure if it matters, but I have to mention that I tested in on a Pharo 1.1 on a CogVM.

That matters! Haven't tested CogVM yet, so... great :D

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
And some more feedback:

- It would be nice to be able to add comments

Comments would be great indeed :)

- When creating a new diagram, the new diagram should be selected by default (right now it is not predictable)

Whoops, that's right!

Thanks!

Carla

[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Carla....I know you have a wishlist/future plans....why don't you list them here and avoid people re-telling you ideas? :)

and of course, several people may be intrested in the future features or ideas !

2010/8/19 Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]>

[...]

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Carla,

Nice! Here a few random comments:

- I really like that I can ship the diagrams with the code

- if I understand correctly, the method names are hardcoded in the spec. Hence, when I document my software with a diagram and then I change the code, my diagram gets out of date. If you already have the diagram with the code, I think you miss an opportunity here.

- I don't understand why, when I drag a box, there are suddenly two arrows shown (I guess the second arrow should be its shadow, but it does not really work)

- I suggest to simplify menu labels like "Add new class box" to "New class". "New" implies that it gets added, and you don't need to say "box" because its clear from the context that this will be a box. It also avoids confusion about classboxes (for those who know classboxes).

- One feature of the class diagram that would be very nice to have is associations.

- I couldn't figure out how to create relationships

- I suggest, instead of adding new type of diagrams, to first make the class diagram really good. You have a much larger impact if you do just one small thing but really well.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Aug 19, 2010, at 16:56 , Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> [...]
> On the way:
> • Tests and documentation, and a screencast showing every feature.
> • Lots of refactors: as I'm adding more kind of diagrams right now, so I'm doing a lot of refactors to make everything more flexible and improving all the messy code there.
> • A version of Minimal Connectors for anybody to use if they feel like connecting morphs for another project.
> • Some usability improvements.
> • Object diagrams
> • Sequence diagrams
> • Your feedback :D
>
> So I'd really appreciate if you can give it a try and tell me how you feel about it, I'd like it to be very usable.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Carla

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Hi Adrian!

Thanks!! Nice feedback :D I'll reply each of your comments:

- I really like that I can ship the diagrams with the code

Great, I personally think it's the coolest feature this project can offer.

- if I understand correctly, the method names are hardcoded in the spec. Hence, when I document my software with a diagram and then I change the code, my diagram gets out of date. If you already have the diagram with the code, I think you miss an opportunity here.

Yes... that's true. This project was first planned for making "handmade" diagrams, I mean, YOU choose what to show and how to show it (i.e. I'd like to show that some objects share a type although they don't share a hierarchy, but I really want to document they have polimorfism). That kind of freedom makes me loose the opportunity to link the diagrams with actual code and get them to be always up to date.

I'd like to think about how I can get closer to that, because it IS confortable, but the diagram would have to be more complex and remember all the time what parts are linked to actual code and what parts are customized by the person who built it.

It could be interesting to design :P But in the [not very near] future.

- I don't understand why, when I drag a box, there are suddenly two arrows shown (I guess the second arrow should be its shadow, but it does not really work)

Hmmm... I guess it is the shadow. It kind of bothers me too, I could try to make it look different (or take it off completely). Do you notice something similar with the boxes too?

- I suggest to simplify menu labels like "Add new class box" to "New class". "New" implies that it gets added, and you don't need to say "box" because its clear from the context that this will be a box. It also avoids confusion about classboxes (for those who know classboxes).

Great simple advice, thank you :)

- One feature of the class diagram that would be very nice to
have is associations.
- I couldn't figure out how to create relationships

Yes!
For now, you can describe how a class box associates with another in the little workspace of the Diagram Browser like this:

  • aClassBox hasA: anotherClassBox labeledAs: 'variableName'
  • aClassBox hasLotsOf: anotherClassBox labeledAs: 'variableName'
  • aClassBox uses: anotherClassBox
  • aClassBox inheritsFrom: anotherClassBox
  • aClassBox isATypeOf: anInterfaceBox
  • aClassBox implements: anInterfaceBox
  • aClassBox usesTrait: aTraitBox
 This is the kind of stuff I *urgently* have to document :P

- I suggest, instead of adding new type of diagrams, to first make the class diagram really good. You have a much larger impact if you do just one small thing but really well.

Thanks for that advice, and you're right, Stef says the same. I started doing some REALLY simple object diagrams because I needed them for the next week to use them at collage. But in the meantime I'm improving the project generally too (in the meantime means until next week XD then I'll start improving class diagrams upon all your feedback :D).

Thanks a lot!!!

I'll detail the list of features later, I'm pretty busy today :(

On Aug 20, 2010, at 9:57 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi Carla,
>
> Nice! Here a few random comments:
>
> - I really like that I can ship the diagrams with the code

Thanks :)

> - if I understand correctly, the method names are hardcoded in the spec. Hence, when I document my software with a diagram and then I change the code, my diagram gets out of date. If you already have the diagram with the code, I think you miss an opportunity here.

For now we make it static but working.

> - I don't understand why, when I drag a box, there are suddenly two arrows shown (I guess the second arrow should be its shadow, but it does not really work)
>
> - I suggest to simplify menu labels like "Add new class box" to "New class". "New" implies that it gets added, and you don't need to say "box" because its clear from the context that this will be a box. It also avoids confusion about classboxes (for those who know classboxes).
>
> - One feature of the class diagram that would be very nice to have is associations.
>
> - I couldn't figure out how to create relationships
>
> - I suggest, instead of adding new type of diagrams, to first make the class diagram really good. You have a much larger impact if you do just one small thing but really well.

I told her :)

> [...]
>> On the way:
>> • Tests and documentation, and a screencast showing every feature.
>> • Lots of refactors: as I'm adding more kind of diagrams right now, so I'm doing a lot of refactors to make everything more flexible and improving all the messy code there.
>> • A version of Minimal Connectors for anybody to use if they feel like connecting morphs for another project.
>> • Some usability improvements.
>> • Object diagrams
>> • Sequence diagrams
>> • Your feedback :D
>>
>> So I'd really appreciate if you can give it a try and tell me how you feel about it, I'd like it to be very usable.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Carla

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Fernando olivero-2
Hi Carla, just a remark about the dependencies.

I tried to load it in a Core image and got some dependencies errors , regarding shout and pluggable shout text morph.
Maybe you could add those to the configuration also.

I'll give a try in a Pharo image now, Looking forward to try it!

Ahh!  we should announce the "minimal connectors" package, maybe we could enhance the description in Squeaksource with the contents from the mails we discussed with marcus.
I'll fetch them and try to add them to squeaksource.

Saludos,
Fernando
On Aug 19, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

[...]

<ATT00001..txt>

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Carla F. Griggio
OK, although I tried to use what I separated in the Minimal Connectors package and there are still some things missing to be able to use it independently. So (although we're already talking about that here XD) we shouldn't announce that yet.

And yes, I use some shout stuff, so I should add that dependency! Thanks. Although shout doesn't load in the latest Pharo Core image yet :(

2010/8/23 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>
[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Carla F. Griggio wrote
OK, although I tried to use what I separated in the Minimal Connectors
package and there are still some things missing to be able to use it
independently. So (although we're already talking about that here XD) we
shouldn't announce that yet.
Any progress with Minimal Connectors?  I would love to use it in several of the projects I'm working on.

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Carla F. Griggio
I've just arrived home this week, so I made no progress over the last two weeks. But at ESUG I talked a little with Fernando Olivero and made me realize that I'm very close to finish the Minimal Connectors package, at least the minimal minimal connectors XD

I'll let you know :)

Let me know what are your projects about and how you would use this :O

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> OK, although I tried to use what I separated in the Minimal Connectors
> package and there are still some things missing to be able to use it
> independently. So (although we're already talking about that here XD) we
> shouldn't announce that yet.

Any progress with Minimal Connectors?  I would love to use it in several of
the projects I'm working on.

Thanks.
Sean

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Carla F. Griggio wrote
Let me know what are your projects about and how you would use this :O
I've been working on a mind-mapping-like app and some visual browsing tools (e.g. an implementorsOF browser that draws a graph of possible execution paths), and have been implementing connectors-like functionality from scratch, but I'd be happy to give the "from scratch" part up ;-)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Introducing smallUML: a little project to help us document :)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
How's MinimalConnectors coming?

I thought I saw an announcement somewhere, but I couldn't find it searching the list. Also, I tried loading it in Pharo 1.1.1 (both each package individually and via the ConfigurationOf) and got an error that it depended on CategoryDiagramsHolder. When I made a dummy class for that, it loaded okay, but I wasn't sure how to use it. I want to connect text boxes together and keep them that way as I move them around.

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean