Introduction to Smalltalk books

SeanTAllen

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 4:21 AM, "Steven! Ragnarök" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/17/11 1:02 AM, James Ladd wrote:
Your help would be appreciated. We are working on a list of classes to
adopt and port, as
well as adding a unit test for each method.

To get started try these instructions:

Thanks James, I got everything up and running and forked myself a copy to work in. I was more looking for an introduction to Smalltalk the language.. I'm a total n00b. :)

Stéphane Ducasse has an excellent list of free smalltalk books => http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html

I'd say

Smalltalk by Example
Smalltalk with Style

Would be excellent options.

If you are familiar with the GOF design patterns book, then the Smalltalk Companion is a great way to compare and learn.

Re: Introduction to Smalltalk books

Steven! Ragnarök
On 12/17/11 6:51 AM, Sean Allen wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 4:21 AM, "Steven! Ragnarök"
>
>     On 12/17/11 1:02 AM, James Ladd wrote:
>
>         Your help would be appreciated. We are working on a list of
>         classes to
>         adopt and port, as
>         well as adding a unit test for each method.
>
>         To get started try these instructions:
>

>     Thanks James, I got everything up and running and forked myself a
>     copy to work in. I was more looking for an introduction to Smalltalk
>     the language.. I'm a total n00b. :)
>

> Stéphane Ducasse has an excellent list of free smalltalk books =>
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html
>
> I'd say
>
> Smalltalk by Example
> Smalltalk with Style
>
> Would be excellent options.
>
> Also Smalltalk best practice patterns by Kent Beck is a must have
> eventually =>
> http://www.amazon.com/Smalltalk-Best-Practice-Patterns-Kent/dp/013476904X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324133425&sr=8-1&tag=acleint-20
> <http://www.amazon.com/Smalltalk-Best-Practice-Patterns-Kent/dp/013476904X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324133425&sr=8-1&tag=acleint-20>
>
> If you are familiar with the GOF design patterns book, then the
> Smalltalk Companion is a great way to compare and learn.

Thanks Sean, I've actually already read Smalltalk Best Practice
Patterns, the advice and info in there is also highly relevant and
approachable to Rubyists (any good OOP language, really). I'll check out
the other two along with Pharo Smalltalk it looks like.

I've also played a little bit with Fancy[1], a Smalltalk-like with some
inspirations from Ruby and Erlang for the Rubinius VM.

http://fancy-lang.org

Thanks for the help everyone.

--
Steven! Ragnarök