Introduction

Chip Nowacek-2
Hi.

I am uncertain how much to share so I will try to be brief.
  • The App - It is a cognitive tool/social network hybrid. PostgreSQL backend (model is essentially built). User-manipulated, canvas-based, morphic-esque front-end (definitely not built). The model has been under development for over 20 years.
  • Background - I am a database architect, DBA, and entrepreneur by experience. I am just learning Smalltalk. Never been a full-time programmer.
  • Hopes - Probably my greatest contribution would be to become an Amber success story. I am likely not skilled enough to contribute to the tool itself. I'll do whatever I can to give back. I'll hope for your encouragement - and if someone has an example of using Morphic.js (including an index.html), I would deeply appreciate it. I'm still spelunking code trying to understand how all this is wired together.
I hope that was brief enough.

Thanks,

Chip

Re: Introduction

Bernat Romagosa
Hi Chip!

Waaaay long ago (in terms of Amber's lifespan) I played a bit with Morph.js and Amber, here's some simple demo code you can take a look at:

Of course, I remember ~0 about it, but please ask along if there's something you don't understand!

Also, some stuff is now deprecated... like mixing js and smalltalk in the same method. You'd have to refactor this into separate methods to get it working.

Good luck, and welcome! :)

Bernat.

2013/2/28 Chip Nowacek <[hidden email]>
[...]

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Introduction

Bernat Romagosa
Well, Morphic.js is a really well engineered library. For a real-world example, check out this Scratch port built on top of Morphic.js: http://snap.berkeley.edu/snapsource/snap.html

I don't know how well will it map to your application or how hard is it going to be to bind Amber, Morphic.js and an SQL database together. There are some people in this list who've coded real-time applications in Amber, I'm sure they can give you much better advice than me :)

Cheers,