Invoking external processes/IPC

Marcin Tustin
Hi all,

I'm an occasional squeak/pharo dabbler, and I'm wondering what the recommended way of interacting with external processes is these days?

Should I go through the process of getting all the VMMaker and OSProcess stuff, and build the OSProcess plugin, or is there some other way in Pharo to interact with the OS environment?

Alternatively, are people doing something (easy) with IPC mechanisms like named sockets or TCP streams?

The "project" I'm working on is putting figlet on a website, just for fun.

Marcin

--
Marcin Tustin
Mobile: 07773787105

Re: Invoking external processes/IPC

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Marcin Tustin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm an occasional squeak/pharo dabbler, and I'm wondering what the recommended way of interacting with external processes is these days?

Should I go through the process of getting all the VMMaker and OSProcess stuff, and build the OSProcess plugin, or is there some other way in Pharo to interact with the OS environment?

Hi. Which OS are you? because I think OSProcess is not working on Windows. And I also think there are binaries for it, so you don't need to generate .c from VMMaker neither compile c code to binary.
But I may be wrong.

CommandShell ?

Maybe using normal FFI or AlienFFI? They will let you invoke shared libraries of the OS from Pharo.

Alternatively, are people doing something (easy) with IPC mechanisms like named sockets or TCP streams?

The "project" I'm working on is putting figlet on a website, just for fun.

Marcin

--
Marcin Tustin
Mobile: 07773787105
Office: 020 3400 3259

Re: Invoking external processes/IPC

Marcin Tustin
Mariano,

Thanks for this. I belive CommandShell depends on OSProcess. I am using windows, so I guess neither is a runner anyway. I'll try FFI/AlienFFI.

Marcin

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Following Mariano's advice, I just tried installing Alien (using Pharo-1.1-11406-rc3 with the Seaside RC3 image; this is a sane version, not affected by previous package loading problems).

I loaded ConfigurationOfAlien (ConfigurationOfAlien-KenTreis.26) using Monticello, then executed ConfigurationOfAlien loadCore (as per the instructions). That resulted in an error: 'SystemDictionary>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray appears incompatible' raised from ensureInSpecialObjectsArray. The cause appears to be that Alien wants to be in the special objects array at 53, but the array is created to be size 50.

Proceeding through the error results in the predictable subscript out of bounds error.

running loadCore once more (second time) does the same thing. Doing it a third time results in a message not understood 'initScannerForTokenization' from Parser>>ParseSelector:.

Any ideas?

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Marcin Tustin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No idea. I am still using the old FFI, not Alien.

[...]

John,

That is the installation recipe I was following, as should have been apparent from my description of the process followed given in my previous email. My problem occurred on the first step after loading the ConfigurationOfAlien package.

For completeness, I tried loading ConfigurationOfAlien using Gofer, and the exact same thing occurred. I also note that Gofer>>addPackage is deprecated.

Marcin

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:40 PM, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
LIkely the installation process is wrong, look at the http://squeaksource.com/@EGv-75Ct7JEKFz5m/rnvjMef8
and follow the instructions for installing there.

On 2010-08-23, at 2:08 PM, Marcin Tustin wrote:

[...]

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Marcin Tustin
Mobile: 07773787105
Office: 020 3400 3259

Re: Invoking external processes/IPC

Marcin Tustin
John,

Do you have any intention of commenting on this, even to confirm that you are content for Alien to be incompatible with current versions of Pharo?

Marcin

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Marcin Tustin <[hidden email]> wrote:
John,

That is the installation recipe I was following, as should have been apparent from my description of the process followed given in my previous email. My problem occurred on the first step after loading the ConfigurationOfAlien package.

For completeness, I tried loading ConfigurationOfAlien using Gofer, and the exact same thing occurred. I also note that Gofer>>addPackage is deprecated.

Marcin

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:40 PM, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
LIkely the installation process is wrong, look at the http://squeaksource.com/@EGv-75Ct7JEKFz5m/rnvjMef8
and follow the instructions for installing there.

Re: Invoking external processes/IPC

Marcin Tustin
I'm not sure that I would class the fact that Alien wants the Special Objects Array to be bigger than it actually is to be a mere installation issue.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM, John McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ask on the Pharo list for help or instruction on loading alien into pharo, I didn't write any of the loader code so I can't deal with the fact it may or may not be broken.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Invoking external processes/IPC

this scripting and other processes lunaching aspect is really important for us.

On Aug 23, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Marcin Tustin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm an occasional squeak/pharo dabbler, and I'm wondering what the recommended way of interacting with external processes is these days?
>
> Should I go through the process of getting all the VMMaker and OSProcess stuff, and build the OSProcess plugin, or is there some other way in Pharo to interact with the OS environment?
>
> Alternatively, are people doing something (easy) with IPC mechanisms like named sockets or TCP streams?
>
> The "project" I'm working on is putting figlet on a website, just for fun.
>
> Marcin
>
> --
> Marcin Tustin
> Mobile: 07773787105
> Office: 020 3400 3259

Re: [Pharo-project] Fwd: Alien install issue?

Marcin Tustin
Thanks. I won't actually have a chance to deal with this until the weekend after next, but if no-one else has, I will try to submit an update for the installer.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
It seems that the ConfigurationOfAlien is broken.

I tried on a Pharo-1.1-11411-dev10.07.01 image and got the same failure.
It does not seem to load the most recent packages.

I then loaded the packages one by one using the monticello repository browser
And all tests are green (on Mac).

Packages in load order:
Alien-Prereqs-KenTreis.5
Alien-Core-JoachimGeidel.64
Alien-CoreTest-F_Olivero.22
Alien-Examples-F_Olivero.2
Alien-LibC-mha.9
Alien-MacOSX-AppKit-John_M_McIntosh.1
Alien-MacOSX-Core-John_M_McIntosh.2

Noury

Noury

--
Marcin Tustin
Mobile: 07773787105
Office: 020 3400 3259

Re: [Pharo-project] Fwd: Alien install issue?

Marcin Tustin
In that case, it would appear that for whatever reason, Noury and I have images with a smaller Special Objects Array than you. Could you check if that is correct, or if for whatever reason, the packages you are installing, are not looking for Alien to be inserted at slot 53?

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

 I had no problem to install Alien on Pharo 1.1 with ConfigurationOfAlien:

Gofer new
       squeaksource: 'Alien';
       package: 'ConfigurationOfAlien';
       load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfAlien) project version: 'Pharo 1.1') load: {'Core' . 'Tests' .  'LibC'. 'MacOSX'}

All 40 tests are green.

Here the version number of the installed packages:
- ConfigurationOfAlien-KenTreis.26
- Alien-Core-JoachimGeidel.64

- Alien-CoreTest-F_Olivero.22
- Alien-Examples-F_Olivero.2
- Alien-LibC-mha.9
- Alien-MacOSX-AppKit-John_M_McIntosh.1
- Alien-MacOSX-Core-John_M_McIntosh.2
- Alien-MacOSX-Examples-John_M_McIntosh.1
- Alien-Prereqs-KenTreis.5

Luc

Noury

--