Is GsDevKit (and more importantly `upgradeStone`) ready for 3.4 ?

Is GsDevKit (and more importantly `upgradeStone`) ready for 3.4 ?

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dale,

Just wondering if latest GsDevKit is ready for 3.4 as well as `upgradeStone` or if we need to wait.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Is GsDevKit (and more importantly `upgradeStone`) ready for 3.4 ?

GLASS mailing list

Mariano,

GsDevKit_home should work fine with 3.4, I've done a fair amout of testing ... bu it wouldn't hurt to use:

  $GS_HOME/bin/updateGsDevKit -gis

to get the latest version of GsDevKit_home and the shared projects (filetree, glass, Grease, metacello-work, PharoCompatibility, rb, ston, tode); and rebuild your tode client images -- use `updateGsDevKit -h` to see the details.

Depending upon when you last updated, an update may not be necessary --- most of  the requisite changes have been available for at least a couple of months and some changes have been available for a year as I've been working on 3.4 for almost a year now --- but like I say it wouldn't hurt to make sure that you are using the latest versions of all of the GsDevKit projects via updateGsDevKit.

I do have some new releases in the hopper for GsDevKit_home and tODE. I expect to release them in the next month or so, but they aren't required for being able to use GemStone 3.4 ...

If you run into any issues let me know ..

Dale

On 11/1/17 6:44 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
Hi Dale,

Just wondering if latest GsDevKit is ready for 3.4 as well as `upgradeStone` or if we need to wait.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Is GsDevKit (and more importantly `upgradeStone`) ready for 3.4 ?

GLASS mailing list

Mariano,

With regards to `upgradeStone` ... I do have some plans to significantly improve the upgrade process for GsDevKit, but that work is targeted for 3.4.1.

Dale

On 11/1/17 6:44 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
Hi Dale,

Just wondering if latest GsDevKit is ready for 3.4 as well as `upgradeStone` or if we need to wait.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Is GsDevKit (and more importantly `upgradeStone`) ready for 3.4 ?

GLASS mailing list
OK, thanks Dale.

Another question: LZ4 backups option has been added to tODE ?

Also, I want to use GEM_COMPRESS_TRANLOG_RECORDS. Would that affect any of the gsDevKit scripts?

On 11/1/17 8:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> OK, thanks Dale.
>
> Another question: LZ4 backups option has been added to tODE ?
I don't think so ...

> Also, I want to use GEM_COMPRESS_TRANLOG_RECORDS. Would that affect
> any of the gsDevKit scripts?
No this shouldn't affect any of the scripts ... BTW, that's a real good
option to use for Seaside users as it should cut down on the size of
tranlogs ...

Dale

Re: Is GsDevKit (and more importantly `upgradeStone`) ready for 3.4 ?

GLASS mailing list
Oh thanks for adding that.

GLASS mailing list wrote

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Is GsDevKit (and more importantly `upgradeStone`) ready for 3.4 ?

GLASS mailing list
Yes, there are many things that would benefit us from what I read in the release notes... my top 10:

1) Indexes performance improvements.
2) Secure backups
3) LZ4 compression for tranlogs as well as for backups.
4) Some primitives optimizations for Array at: and friends
5) New RC classes: I love to see RcArray. I will also try to replace all my RcIdentityBag to RcLowMaintenanceIdentityBag
6) STN_GROUP_COMMITS seems useful too
7) Glad to hear add: , removeAll: etc now answer the removed/added rather than self in all collection impl. I remember still finding some issues with this (but I can't remember which collection class).

Aside from all that, Allen Otis and Norm Green have shared with me some optimizations we can apply to make  Seaside rendering faster. In a 3.4 alpha release, I measured 50% speedup on regular seaside rendering. But all the changes I made to Seaside and Grease were all hardcoded with overrides etc. Once I have a working stable 3.4 stone I will try to make a first push of these changes so that we can all correctly integrate those changes and speedup seaside. The changes are mostly about:

8) Using the new AppendStream and AppendableString
9) Using the new primitive for writing UTF8 (#encodeAsUTF8IntoString)
10) New primitive #javaScriptEncode

Cheers,

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Paul DeBruicker via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh thanks for adding that.

GLASS mailing list wrote