Is Object Arts Frozen?? Are you LIVING?

ChanHong Kim
Nowday, Object Arts's Home page is frozen and Newsgroup is too.
I have posted some article in this group, I can't receive any
official answer from Object Arts or Andy, or Blair.

I know that the Next major release of Dolphin Smalltalk enter Beta
testing state. Bue I can't contact any news or statement about it from
Object Arts.

Hmmm Is Object Arts frozen? Is there any problem?
I'm worriing that whether I can buy new release.

Is Object Arts WORKING about D6?

Please see me what are you doing and where you go.

If Object Arts announce official statement of D6 and its state,
we can wait with patience.

Object Arts, Andy and Blair, answer my question, please.
When I meet D6?

Re: Is Object Arts Frozen?? Are you LIVING?

Christoph J. Bachinger
Hi,
> Nowday, Object Arts's Home page is frozen and Newsgroup is too.
> I have posted some article in this group, I can't receive any
> official answer from Object Arts or Andy, or Blair.

There is a new home page in progress to see under
http://www.object-arts.co.uk/ and Andy answered a question of mine on
the newsgroup at 16. June. But I had also problems to post messages to
the newsgroup at news.totallyobjects.com at 16 of June but this was not
an object arts problem. The newsgroup server diskspace ran out. The
serving company cleaned up diskspace and everything was ok again.

> I know that the Next major release of Dolphin Smalltalk enter Beta
> testing state. Bue I can't contact any news or statement about it from
> Object Arts.

As I believe, object arts does some other stuff so Dolphin 6 is delayed
for now a long period. And being asked so often whats about Dolphin 6
and having still not all parts of dolphin 6 fitting together. They hold
their head below. I'm satisfied with Dolphin 5 and updates only every 2
years or longer is ok for me, if the new Version is a round and working
version.

> Hmmm Is Object Arts frozen? Is there any problem?
> I'm worriing that whether I can buy new release.
>
> Is Object Arts WORKING about D6?
>
> Please see me what are you doing and where you go.
>
> If Object Arts announce official statement of D6 and its state,
> we can wait with patience.
>
> Object Arts, Andy and Blair, answer my question, please.
> When I meet D6?

What you are missing in D5 that you are so eager to get D6.
I hope that OA is a stable company (in an unstable world) who has
changed a little bit the focus. So long they support the D5 it doesn't
matter.

I'm still waiting also for someone supporting my newsgroup question. But
at the moment its pretty hot in europe, maybe everybody does it as the
bavarians and stay in the beer garden instead of sitting in front of the
monitor. So no panic be happy.

Servus
cjb

Re: Is Object Arts Frozen?? Are you LIVING?

Andy Bower-3
ChanHong Kim,

> Nowday, Object Arts's Home page is frozen and Newsgroup is too.
> I have posted some article in this group, I can't receive any
> official answer from Object Arts or Andy, or Blair.

Well, the OA home page was last updated in April 2005 with the
IdeaSpace video. Similarly, the newsgroup receives several posts daily
so I don't see how you can regard either as "frozen".

> I know that the Next major release of Dolphin Smalltalk enter Beta
> testing state. Bue I can't contact any news or statement about it from
> Object Arts.

In general, we don't respond to questions that ask, what is in D6 or
when will D6 be released. The reason is that we don't actually know the
answer to either question until the release is actually ready. A couple
of months ago we posted messages about the beta programme (which is now
underway) in order to encourage our users that we are moving forwards
with D6.

> Is Object Arts WORKING about D6?

I have answered that question, I think.

> Object Arts, Andy and Blair, answer my question, please.
> When I meet D6?

Dolphin 6 might be ready in August 2005; then again, it might not.

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Is Object Arts Frozen?? Are you LIVING?

ChanHong Kim
Hi Andy.

Andy Bower wrote:

> Well, the OA home page was last updated in April 2005 with the
> IdeaSpace video. Similarly, the newsgroup receives several posts daily
> so I don't see how you can regard either as "frozen".

I hurried and worried about it.
And I have seen some technical article on this enwsgroup which is
not replyed from OA team, so I'm suspicous about your and your company.
But from now on, I'll wait with more patience.

> In general, we don't respond to questions that ask, what is in D6 or
> when will D6 be released. The reason is that we don't actually know the
> answer to either question until the release is actually ready. A couple
> of months ago we posted messages about the beta programme (which is now
> underway) in order to encourage our users that we are moving forwards
> with D6.

IMHO the most important thiing is "FEED-BACK to customer".
Although someone is working hard, the customer have no idea whether
the Company or Devloper is working it if they din't get any feed back
which is able to touch.

So I hope that Object Arts publish their state about D6 or other some
weekly. It isa kind of Marketting Strategy which is used from other
major company like MS. Remember. MS have published about LongHron from
time
to time though tehy delay it.

> Dolphin 6 might be ready in August 2005; then again, it might not.

I hope that I can buy your product in this year. :-)

Thank for my unpatiece.
Please care your health, Andy.

Re: Is Object Arts Frozen?? Are you LIVING?

ChanHong Kim
Hi Christoph.
First of all, thanks to reply my humble, and unpatience post.

Christoph J. Bachinger wrote:

> There is a new home page in progress to see under
> http://www.object-arts.co.uk/ and Andy answered a question of mine on
> the newsgroup at 16. June. But I had also problems to post messages to
> the newsgroup at news.totallyobjects.com at 16 of June but this was not
> an object arts problem. The newsgroup server diskspace ran out. The
> serving company cleaned up diskspace and everything was ok again.

Thanks to notify it. I'll search that page ASAP.

> As I believe, object arts does some other stuff so Dolphin 6 is delayed
> for now a long period. And being asked so often whats about Dolphin 6
> and having still not all parts of dolphin 6 fitting together. They hold
> their head below. I'm satisfied with Dolphin 5 and updates only every 2
> years or longer is ok for me, if the new Version is a round and working
> version.

I know and believe that OA is working hard to develop D6's stuff which
is said from you. And I amd, too, satisfied with D5.
IMHO The important thing is 'feed back' from OA to users.

> What you are missing in D5 that you are so eager to get D6.
> I hope that OA is a stable company (in an unstable world) who has
> changed a little bit the focus. So long they support the D5 it doesn't
> matter.

I'm making plan which supports 2 byte code character set(MBCS) with
Dolphin Smalltalk framework. Now D5 has critical bugs and unstable
about
UnicodeString and MBCS character, and D5 doesn't support any Wide
character
i.e. UnicodeCharacter. Finally, I have to implement these facility
which
support Hangeul(my Korean, the Best character) and some far-eastern
Asian
character.

I don't like to waste my time and power to implement these basic and
operating system depended facility. I want to concentrate my Hieh level
application, Korean Text to Braille translator whcih need syllable and
phonem of Hangeul(2-byte character).

If I have implemented these basic and low-level facility in D5 and
D6 will support these same facility, my watesed time and power is
meaningless. So I need to whether and how deep and correctly support
Unicode and MBCS character in Dolphin 6. However Andy and OA, maybe,
not
interested these facility which is far from Western character.

I hope that Dolphin Smalltalk is unique environment whch support
any locale from West to East like Visual Studio or Delphi.
When I investigate Borland's Delphi component source, I'm amaing
beacuse
I had seen the IME word --HANGEUL_MODE--. Delphi is perfect to support
my character and Unicode deeply and correctly.
It is Dolphin's very weakness to people who use their native character.

Dolphin must solve these problem to wide their market.
I hope that OA know about these issue which is high precedence.

As these things, my mind have unpatinece about D6 and OA.

> I'm still waiting also for someone supporting my newsgroup question. But
> at the moment its pretty hot in europe, maybe everybody does it as the
> bavarians and stay in the beer garden instead of sitting in front of the
> monitor. So no panic be happy.

I have accepted your serious opinion.

> Servus
> cjb

Again, thank you fro my humble post.

Re: Is Object Arts Frozen?? Are you LIVING?

Sean M-3
> So I hope that Object Arts publish their state about D6 or other some
> weekly. It isa kind of Marketting Strategy which is used from other
> major company like MS. Remember. MS have published about LongHron from
> time
> to time though tehy delay it.

Keeping in mind that Microsoft has an entire army of marketing people (And
employees in the 60,000 region), as far as I understand, Object Arts has two
employees, so while it's nive to say :Hey, you should release weekly updates
regarding the state of Dolphin", in reality, I'd rather the guys be working
on Dolphin 6, than telling us about it :)