Is Pharo 1.3 still "release candidate"?

Runar Jordahl
The following page claims that the "status" of Pharo is "release
candidate mode":
http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-1-3

Is this correct?

Kind regards
Runar

Re: Is Pharo 1.3 still "release candidate"?

Marcus Denker-4

On Oct 19, 2011, at 11:39 AM, Runar Jordahl wrote:

> The following page claims that the "status" of Pharo is "release
> candidate mode":
> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-1-3
>
> Is this correct?

I just removed this and changed the download 13315... which is the release version.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

bpi

Re: Is Pharo 1.3 still "release candidate"?

bpi
I am not sure if this is helpful but here you go anyway.

I downloaded Pharo 1.3 [1] and the Mac OS X VM [2] from the Release 1.3 download page [3]. When I run the tests on Mac OS X 10.6.8 I get the following results:

9758 run, 9699 passes, 49 expected failures, 7 failures, 2 errors, 1 unexpected passes
Failures:
HostWindowTests>>#testOne
ReleaseTest>>#testUndeclared
ReleaseTest>>#testObsoleteClasses
ClassHierarchyTest>>#testSubclasses
WindowAnnouncementTest>>#testScrolling
MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorSize
MethodContextTest>>#testClosureRestart
FileStreamTest>>#testPositionPastEndIsAtEnd

Errors:
ClosureCompilerTest>>#testSourceRangeAccessForBlueBookInjectInto
ClosureCompilerTest>>#testSourceRangeAccessForBlueBookLongFormInjectInto

Thanks for all the effort you put into Pharo!

Cheers,
Bernhard

[1] http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/29273/Pharo-1.3-13315.zip
[2] http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/29040/CogVM-Mac-13307.zip
[3] http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-1-3

On Oct 19, 2011, at 9:36 PM, Bernhard Pieber wrote:

> I am not sure if this is helpful but here you go anyway.
>
> I downloaded Pharo 1.3 [1] and the Mac OS X VM [2] from the Release 1.3 download page [3]. When I run the tests on Mac OS X 10.6.8 I get the following results:
>
> 9758 run, 9699 passes, 49 expected failures, 7 failures, 2 errors, 1 unexpected passes

Yes, we currently run the tests for 1.3 on old Hudson with an old interpreter VM (and just in headless mode, and
only on linux).

So the set of failures is different:

        https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/job/Pharo%201.3/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/

and the undeclared is just in a Test class outside of Core... so it does not hurt and we can fix that later.
(the idea is to continue fixing everything in 1.3 that people want to have fixed).

So there are lots of things to do to reach perfection... e.g.
        -> moving from Hudson to Jenkins
        -> new one-click build script
        -> use the VM to test that we ship
        -> test on all 3 plattforms, fix all the problems
        -> test non-headless at least on one platform, better 3.
        -> ......

the problem is that this list will never end... and as soon as we fixed "everything",we will find new
problems. There are indefinite amount of issues hidden somwhere.
We can either therefore never release and wait till we reach perfection, or we can release and fix later.
We should have released 1.3 4 Months ago, but we did not because we wanted to "just fix that" before...
but this never ends, so we need to declare release even without reaching perfection.

(Considering that in the past there where no tests, and then, after we had tests, we did not run them...
this is not that strange as it might sound).

Else, for everyone who disagrees, Just fix all these:

        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list?can=2&q=milestone=1.3

we will integrate the fix ASAP and do a second release of 1.3 after that. ;-)

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de