Is Pharo spying on me?

bpi

Is Pharo spying on me?

bpi
I just found a file named org.pharo.global-identifiers.ston in my preferences folder. It contains a #secretUUID and a #computerUUID. :-( What is this information used for? More importantly, how can I turn it off?

Bernhard

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Juraj Kubelka
Check Privacy section in Settings Browser.
If you ever send anything, data are anonymized.
Developers use it to be able to evaluate their research (PhD) work. It is a requirement in the research field.
By sending the anonymized data, you help developers to understand how their tools are used.
In particular, I am aware of Spotter, Quality Assistant, GT tools, and Roassal.

Cheers,
Juraj

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 16:30, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just found a file named org.pharo.global-identifiers.ston in my preferences folder. It contains a #secretUUID and a #computerUUID. :-( What is this information used for? More importantly, how can I turn it off?
>
> Bernhard

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Sean Glazier
Personally, I know of work places where this is not going to be allowed. I understand they need the data, but you need to be able to turn it off. A secure facility would not allow the transmission out in any case.

Kind Regards,

Sean Glazier

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Check Privacy section in Settings Browser.
If you ever send anything, data are anonymized.
Developers use it to be able to evaluate their research (PhD) work. It is a requirement in the research field.
By sending the anonymized data, you help developers to understand how their tools are used.
In particular, I am aware of Spotter, Quality Assistant, GT tools, and Roassal.

Cheers,
Juraj

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 16:30, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just found a file named org.pharo.global-identifiers.ston in my preferences folder. It contains a #secretUUID and a #computerUUID. :-( What is this information used for? More importantly, how can I turn it off?
>
> Bernhard

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Juraj Kubelka
I understand it. For that reason there are settings.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Dec 5, 2017, at 17:34, Sean Glazier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Personally, I know of work places where this is not going to be allowed. I understand they need the data, but you need to be able to turn it off. A secure facility would not allow the transmission out in any case.

Kind Regards,

Sean Glazier

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Check Privacy section in Settings Browser.
If you ever send anything, data are anonymized.
Developers use it to be able to evaluate their research (PhD) work. It is a requirement in the research field.
By sending the anonymized data, you help developers to understand how their tools are used.
In particular, I am aware of Spotter, Quality Assistant, GT tools, and Roassal.

Cheers,
Juraj

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 16:30, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just found a file named org.pharo.global-identifiers.ston in my preferences folder. It contains a #secretUUID and a #computerUUID. :-( What is this information used for? More importantly, how can I turn it off?
>
> Bernhard

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

EstebanLM
but you are asked to share it, this is not collected automatically without asking before.

anyway, we are removing that (if not removed yet)

On 5 Dec 2017, at 21:34, Sean Glazier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Personally, I know of work places where this is not going to be allowed. I understand they need the data, but you need to be able to turn it off. A secure facility would not allow the transmission out in any case.

Kind Regards,

Sean Glazier

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Check Privacy section in Settings Browser.
If you ever send anything, data are anonymized.
Developers use it to be able to evaluate their research (PhD) work. It is a requirement in the research field.
By sending the anonymized data, you help developers to understand how their tools are used.
In particular, I am aware of Spotter, Quality Assistant, GT tools, and Roassal.

Cheers,
Juraj

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 16:30, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just found a file named org.pharo.global-identifiers.ston in my preferences folder. It contains a #secretUUID and a #computerUUID. :-( What is this information used for? More importantly, how can I turn it off?
>
> Bernhard

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

EstebanLM
anyway *no data is collected without asking first*

I demanded that and if someone sneaked in without permission, I will be very very upset.

Esteban

On 5 Dec 2017, at 21:39, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

I understand it. For that reason there are settings.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Dec 5, 2017, at 17:34, Sean Glazier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Personally, I know of work places where this is not going to be allowed. I understand they need the data, but you need to be able to turn it off. A secure facility would not allow the transmission out in any case.

Kind Regards,

Sean Glazier

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Check Privacy section in Settings Browser.
If you ever send anything, data are anonymized.
Developers use it to be able to evaluate their research (PhD) work. It is a requirement in the research field.
By sending the anonymized data, you help developers to understand how their tools are used.
In particular, I am aware of Spotter, Quality Assistant, GT tools, and Roassal.

Cheers,
Juraj

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 16:30, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just found a file named org.pharo.global-identifiers.ston in my preferences folder. It contains a #secretUUID and a #computerUUID. :-( What is this information used for? More importantly, how can I turn it off?
>
> Bernhard

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Pavel Krivanek-3

I just found a file named org.pharo.global-identifiers.ston in my preferences folder. It contains a #secretUUID and a #computerUUID. :-( What is this information used for? More importantly, how can I turn it off?

There is nothing evil on it. It is used for resolving if the preferences should be reloaded. See SystemSettingsPersistence class>>#resumeSystemSettings

-- Pavel

Bernhard

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Tudor Girba-2

Indeed privacy is an important issue. When we introduced the collection of data in Spotter we made sure that:
- the collection of data is off by default
- you are asked explicitly to turn it on
- and, even when you send the data, you are sending technical tool data or at most, anonymized data.

In other words, we want people to send data, but they should be in control and sending data should always be an opt-in and as transparent as possible.

Right now, there is a central Privacy setting holder that is being used to guard the usage of the GTEventRecorder. To check that this is the case, take a look at the result of this query:
(SystemNavigation new allReferencesTo: GTEventRecorder binding) \ (SystemNavigation new allReferencesTo: Privacy binding)
==>
GtExamplesReleaseTest>>#testAllMissingInternalExamples
GTEventRecorderHelp class>>#client
GTEventRecorderTest>>#setUp
GTEventCollector>>#register

These are only test, help and registration methods, which are fine.

We should make a QA rule out of this.

In the future, we would like to work on a more obvious signal that data is being collected.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Tudor Girba-2

What exactly are we removing?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

EstebanLM

> On 6 Dec 2017, at 07:12, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> What exactly are we removing?

shoreline and QA.
both phd are finished :)

Esteban

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Dec 5, 2017, at 9:41 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> but you are asked to share it, this is not collected automatically without asking before.
>>
>> anyway, we are removing that (if not removed yet)
>>
>>> On 5 Dec 2017, at 21:34, Sean Glazier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Personally, I know of work places where this is not going to be allowed. I understand they need the data, but you need to be able to turn it off. A secure facility would not allow the transmission out in any case.
>>>

>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> Sean Glazier
>>>

>>> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Check Privacy section in Settings Browser.
>>> If you ever send anything, data are anonymized.
>>> Developers use it to be able to evaluate their research (PhD) work. It is a requirement in the research field.
>>> By sending the anonymized data, you help developers to understand how their tools are used.
>>> In particular, I am aware of Spotter, Quality Assistant, GT tools, and Roassal.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juraj

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Pavel Krivanek-3
ShoreLIne is already removed from Pharo 7

-- Pavel

> On 6 Dec 2017, at 07:12, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> What exactly are we removing?

shoreline and QA.
both phd are finished :)

Esteban

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Dec 5, 2017, at 9:41 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> but you are asked to share it, this is not collected automatically without asking before.
>>
>> anyway, we are removing that (if not removed yet)
>>
>>> On 5 Dec 2017, at 21:34, Sean Glazier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Personally, I know of work places where this is not going to be allowed. I understand they need the data, but you need to be able to turn it off. A secure facility would not allow the transmission out in any case.
>>>

>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> Sean Glazier
>>>

>>> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Check Privacy section in Settings Browser.
>>> If you ever send anything, data are anonymized.
>>> Developers use it to be able to evaluate their research (PhD) work. It is a requirement in the research field.
>>> By sending the anonymized data, you help developers to understand how their tools are used.
>>> In particular, I am aware of Spotter, Quality Assistant, GT tools, and Roassal.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juraj

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Torsten Bergmann
I understand that ShoreLine is removed in Pharo 7.

But why do we want to remove Quality Assistant? Are we not interested
in code quality anymore?

We can currently use it to display code problems in Nautilus and AFAIK
also Calypso shows the code problems.

Or did I miss something?

Thanks
T.

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 06. Dezember 2017 um 10:43 Uhr
> Von: "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] Is Pharo spying on me?
>

> > On 6 Dec 2017, at 07:12, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > What exactly are we removing?
>
> shoreline and QA.
> both phd are finished :)
>
> Esteban
>

> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> >> On Dec 5, 2017, at 9:41 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> but you are asked to share it, this is not collected automatically without asking before.
> >>
> >> anyway, we are removing that (if not removed yet)

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> > www.feenk.com
> >
> > "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

EstebanLM

> On 6 Dec 2017, at 11:11, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I understand that ShoreLine is removed in Pharo 7.
>
> But why do we want to remove Quality Assistant? Are we not interested
> in code quality anymore?

we are not removing QA
we are removing QA reporting issues to Yuriy

Esteban

> We can currently use it to display code problems in Nautilus and AFAIK
> also Calypso shows the code problems.
>
> Or did I miss something?
>
> Thanks
> T.
>
>> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 06. Dezember 2017 um 10:43 Uhr
>> Von: "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]>
>> An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
>> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] Is Pharo spying on me?
>>

>>> On 6 Dec 2017, at 07:12, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What exactly are we removing?
>>
>> shoreline and QA.
>> both phd are finished :)
>>
>> Esteban
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Let's not panic here!

Funny to see people worry so much about privacy from a tool that collects technical data anonymously when a gazillion agencies (especially NSA) keep track of every email and phone call we do!!!

-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
Pinterest: benoitstjean
Instagram: Chef_Benito
IRC: lamneth
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

An interesting point.

However, just because other people behave less nicely does not mean we should be the same.

Principles should always remain principles regardless of how inconvenient or apparently insignificant the situation is.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Dec 6, 2017, at 12:00 PM, Benoit St-Jean via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> From: Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-dev] Is Pharo spying on me?
> Date: December 6, 2017 at 12:00:31 PM GMT+1
> To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
>

> Let's not panic here!
>
> Funny to see people worry so much about privacy from a tool that collects technical data anonymously when a gazillion agencies (especially NSA) keep track of every email and phone call we do!!!
>
> -----------------
> Benoît St-Jean
> Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
> Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
> Pinterest: benoitstjean
> Instagram: Chef_Benito
> IRC: lamneth
> Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
> "A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

"What we can governs what we wish."

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Ben Coman

On 6 December 2017 at 04:43, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
anyway *no data is collected without asking first*

I demanded that and if someone sneaked in without permission, I will be very very upset.

+10^10
Thx Esteban.  Its good to know you champion this.

No need to panic, but its easy to get complacent on this.
Of course researcher's *need* data and know themselves to be trustworthy
But even with the best intentions, its not just about "doing the right thing",
but "being seen to do the right thing". Credibility is hard to earn and easy to destroy.

Some people are overly sensitive about this... ;-)
"How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did"

Having a setting to enable this buried deep in Settings is probably not ideal.
Such a setting *must* be off-by-default, even though I'm personally happy to enable i,
I'm not so enthusiastic to go to the trouble navigating
to Settings to enable it each time I start a new image.
Perhaps the Welcome window should have a Privacy tab describing
what data is being gathered by who, with a tick box there to enable it.
I'd probably enable it more often if it was only two clicks away.

cheers -ben

Esteban

On 5 Dec 2017, at 21:39, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

I understand it. For that reason there are settings.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Dec 5, 2017, at 17:34, Sean Glazier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Personally, I know of work places where this is not going to be allowed. I understand they need the data, but you need to be able to turn it off. A secure facility would not allow the transmission out in any case.

Kind Regards,

Sean Glazier

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Check Privacy section in Settings Browser.
If you ever send anything, data are anonymized.
Developers use it to be able to evaluate their research (PhD) work. It is a requirement in the research field.
By sending the anonymized data, you help developers to understand how their tools are used.
In particular, I am aware of Spotter, Quality Assistant, GT tools, and Roassal.

Cheers,
Juraj

> On Dec 5, 2017, at 16:30, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just found a file named org.pharo.global-identifiers.ston in my preferences folder. It contains a #secretUUID and a #computerUUID. :-( What is this information used for? More importantly, how can I turn it off?
>
> Bernhard

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Peter Uhnak
On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
ShoreLIne is already removed from Pharo 7

-- Pavel

Good to know since I've just started using it. :)

Re: Is Pharo spying on me?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Now people can load shoreLine. We want to make sure that we lower the load.
I would like for example to have the excellent tool of yuriy to
understand variables of RB pattern matcher in the image.

Stef